FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
1 registered (Matakiant), 33 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
AndyLA 3
Matakiant 3
Zombie Zero 2
futsaowingchun 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Matakiant
09/18/14 07:11 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35576 Topics
432496 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#432998 - 06/29/11 08:08 AM What you folks training at the moment?
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

Just thought I'd start a thread about what folks are doing at the moment. I know some people aren't doing a lot (or any) martial arts training at the moment due to injury and finances, but I was wondering what people are doing at the moment? Feel free to mention any sort of physical training here, not just Martial Arts.

My Judo class has stopped for the summer, which to be honest is a relief. The injuries were starting to mount up and they were taking a toll on me. Glad of the break to be honest.

I have found a local Gracie Garage where I can train for free over the summer. I know the guy as he is a friend of a friend. The guy was a JKD instructor assistant instructor and the guys we train with have a all a lot of previous MA experience. Been going for a few weeks now (I'd been a few times before earlier in the year but was on the same day as Judo). Have to say so far so good. Enjoy the content and the Gracie instructionals are the best instructional DVDs I've ever seen (in any martial art). Not sure about their grading system though! confused

Aside from that, been doing the normal: running, weights, yoga. I'm doing 2-3 yoga classes a week, getting a lot out of it. Easing off the weights for the next week or two as I've hurt my right shoulder. It was a Judo injury but some of my training wasn't helping it.

What you folks doing?

Edited by Prizewriter (06/29/11 12:42 PM)

#432999 - 06/29/11 08:44 AM Re: What you folks training at the moment? [Re: Prizewriter]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
I was doing some wing chun but started f/c kick-boxing training. Problem was my inactivity, unfitness and a recurring trapped nerve in my neck. I decided to stop all the training and concentrate on getting the neck sorted.

I started at a back rehab place (back school)and saw my doc about sorting my body out. I've been nordic walking in the summer forests, drinking loads of water and eating loads of fruit...

Started working on a theatre project with my Japanese colleague and I've been doing stuff with the band...

Sadly, I can't say I miss the training too much at the moment...

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#433001 - 06/29/11 09:18 AM Re: What you folks training at the moment? [Re: trevek]
ThomsonsPier Offline

Loc: Reading, UK
I've had to cut my classes back to one a week at the moment thanks to assorted influences from the rest of my life. Other than that, I get in half an hour of kung fu practice five days a week and a few bodyweight exercises. I can't stand running, so cardio tends to be restricted to interval training at home (and is also of a kung fu bent).

The upside of this is that I have more time to focus on those areas I feel need development. I'm also hungrier for the classes when I get to them and can more readily take in the lessons because I'm not trying to do everything at once.

War. It's fan-tastic!

#433002 - 06/29/11 09:41 AM Re: What you folks training at the moment? [Re: ThomsonsPier]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
Three two hour classes/week of goju, and one of kobudo. Teaching off and on private students about 4 hours/week, swimming 3x/week, and a couple hours of physical therapy/week for the arthritis.

#433005 - 06/29/11 11:12 AM Re: What you folks training at the moment? [Re: harlan]
Zach_Zinn Offline
Veteran

Loc: Olympia, WA
Once a week informal training with a friend, Jujutsu guy. Usually runs two hours.

Once a week two hour dojo practice, about an hour or so of Karate, Jujutsu friends fill in the rest.

Go see my teacher every so often.

Lots here and there on my own, I have this thing I rigged up that is basically two tennis balls attached to bungi cords for punching i've been at alot lately, it's fun!

Edited by Zach_Zinn (06/29/11 11:14 AM)

#433007 - 06/29/11 11:30 AM Re: What you folks training at the moment? [Re: Zach_Zinn]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Mostly jogging and heavy bag work lately, with the occasional bit of weight lifting. Beginning to get a weekly MA training session going with my friend's 20 y/o son, who is interested in learning. Lots of bag work and sparring, both stand-up and ground.

#433013 - 06/29/11 06:59 PM Re: What you folks training at the moment? [Re: MattJ]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
BJJ (no gi) 2 or 3 times a week for an hour and a half. Thai Boxing abotu the same amount and an hour MMA class once a week. And sometimes I'll come in for a couple hours on saturday and just work on whatever at open gym.
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#433014 - 06/29/11 09:46 PM Re: What you folks training at the moment? [Re: Prizewriter]
JMWcorwin Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SoCal, USA
Hi All,
It's been a while. I've been working on my kum sul, advanced dan jun breathing, cane techniques, and just trying in general to get back into shape. Teaching 2 times a week. I just graded for fouth Dan. Grueling test. I passed, but wasn't totatlly happy with my performance. (mostly my cardio issue) So, I've spent the time since re-working my techniques and trying to get them to where I'm happy with them.

I found the kendo gear I thought I'd had stolen from my parent's house. grin That had me bummed, I can 't buy another $400-600 for a new set. Looking forward to doing some of that in the near future. Enjoying the journey.

Hope you're all feeling the same.

#433019 - 06/29/11 10:46 PM Re: What you folks training at the moment? [Re: JMWcorwin]
47MartialMan Offline

Originally Posted By: JMWcorwin
Hi All,
It's been a while. I've been working on my kum sul, advanced dan jun breathing, cane techniques, and just trying in general to get back into shape. Teaching 2 times a week. I just graded for fouth Dan. Grueling test. I passed, but wasn't totatlly happy with my performance. (mostly my cardio issue) So, I've spent the time since re-working my techniques and trying to get them to where I'm happy with them.

I found the kendo gear I thought I'd had stolen from my parent's house. grin That had me bummed, I can 't buy another $400-600 for a new set. Looking forward to doing some of that in the near future. Enjoying the journey.

Hope you're all feeling the same.

Where/who are selling Kendo sets for under $600?

I have always wanted a set

#433022 - 06/30/11 08:43 AM Re: What you folks training at the moment? [Re: 47MartialMan]
Ironfoot Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: St. Clair Shores, MI USA
Slowly losing a few pounds (I'm not fat, just - bulky) and doing cardio in addition to MA. As I progress through my 60s I figure I'll pass up those masters more skilled than me just by sheer conditioning and stayin' alive.

Every now and then people ask me "Still doing karate?" No one asks "Still golfing?", and I'm way at that.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga