FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
charlie 2
simonajones111 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
Zombie Zero 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#432770 - 06/12/11 05:57 PM Re: Tai Chi Swords [Re: 47MartialMan]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
But does this mean because one does taiji one can only use the competition swords... can't one train with the heavier swords for fencing purposes?

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#432815 - 06/15/11 11:12 PM Re: Tai Chi Swords [Re: trevek]
47MartialMan Offline

Originally Posted By: trevek
But does this mean because one does taiji one can only use the competition swords... can't one train with the heavier swords for fencing purposes?

Tai Ji doesn't have fencing

#432824 - 06/16/11 06:28 AM Re: Tai Chi Swords [Re: 47MartialMan]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Originally Posted By: 47MartialMan

You mean that nobody trained in sword technique in Tai Ji can actually fight with a sword? NOBODY actually trains to utilise a sword? Weird!

#432882 - 06/20/11 01:13 AM Re: Tai Chi Swords [Re: trevek]
47MartialMan Offline

You mean that nobody trained in sword technique in Tai Ji can actually fight with a sword? NOBODY actually trains to utilise a sword? Weird!

Fencing is a whole different discipline

#432892 - 06/20/11 12:50 PM Re: Tai Chi Swords [Re: 47MartialMan]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

I was, of course, referring to "fencing" in it's original meaning, of swordsmanship for comabt and deFENCE.

According to the mighty wiki:

Taijijian (simplified Chinese: &#22826;&#26497;&#21073;; traditional Chinese: &#22826;&#26997;&#21133;; pinyin: tijjin; literally "Taiji Sword") is a straight two-edged sword used in the training of the Chinese martial art Taijiquan. The straight sword, sometimes with a tassel and sometimes not, is used for upper body conditioning and martial training in traditional Taijiquan schools. The different family schools have various warmups, forms and fencing drills for training with the jian.

#432906 - 06/21/11 09:57 PM Re: Tai Chi Swords [Re: trevek]
47MartialMan Offline

I was, of course, referring to "fencing" in it's original meaning, of swordsmanship for comabt and deFENCE.

According to the mighty wiki:

Taijijian (simplified Chinese: &#22826;&#26497;&#21073;; traditional Chinese: &#22826;&#26997;&#21133;; pinyin: tijjin; literally "Taiji Sword") is a straight two-edged sword used in the training of the Chinese martial art Taijiquan. The straight sword, sometimes with a tassel and sometimes not, is used for upper body conditioning and martial training in traditional Taijiquan schools. The different family schools have various warmups, forms and fencing drills for training with the jian.

Wiki is not all accurate

There is a difference of Tai Ji and Tai Ji Quan

And Jian is a sword long before TaiJi using it

And Chinese "fencing", is not like European "fencing"

You cant label both as fencing when one is truly fencing and the other is JianShu

Jian Shu, Chinese "Sword Method", is not at all associated with the flowery and degraded "Tai Ji Sword displays

#432936 - 06/23/11 09:22 AM Re: Tai Chi Swords [Re: 47MartialMan]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Wiki is not all accurate

There is a difference of Tai Ji and Tai Ji Quan

And Jian is a sword long before TaiJi using it

And Chinese "fencing", is not like European "fencing"

You cant label both as fencing when one is truly fencing and the other is JianShu

Jian Shu, Chinese "Sword Method", is not at all associated with the flowery and degraded "Tai Ji Sword displays

You are the one who initially cited/quoted wiki!

However, I now understand that you are basing your argument on the difference between Tai Ji and Tai Ji Quan (assuming the initial use in the OP and the advert recognised the difference as well).

OK, I understand your point as this: TJ is a aesthetic and degraded style based on original TJQ, utilising visual and auditory effects over practical useage. As such the swrods cannot be considered TJ swords because they are of a different quality/standard/type.

TJQ is a more practical style, utilising sword systems of a more practical nature, as well as utilising swords which were originally used in other styles, therefore are not wholly TJQ swords. As such, it is a misnomer to refer to them as TJ or TJQ swords.

Am I correct?

As for the "fencing" point, of course there are stylistic differences between Western and Chinese sword styles. However, not being familiar with the Chinese term(s) for opponent based combat swordplay, I chose to use a generic Western term.

My use of the term "fencing" is similar to the use of western terminology when describing Chinese swords as "sabres" etc (which would qualify it as "fencing"), or using the term "boxing", when referring to Chinese Boxing. I see no problem using the term "fencing" to mean swordplay against an opponent, especially when it is clear from the context that I do not refer to the different styles of western fencing.

So, does Jian-shu use combat/opponent-based sword-sparring? Also, is Jian-shu the same across different aspects of Wu Shu disciplines?

Edited by trevek (06/23/11 09:26 AM)

#432954 - 06/25/11 04:18 AM Re: Tai Chi Swords [Re: trevek]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

@47MartialMan

I do appreciate the information you are giving, btw (seriously).

#432973 - 06/27/11 05:10 PM Re: Tai Chi Swords [Re: trevek]
47MartialMan Offline

i!

However, I now understand that you are basing your argument on the difference between Tai Ji and Tai Ji Quan (assuming the initial use in the OP and the advert recognised the difference as well).

OK, I understand your point as this: TJ is a aesthetic and degraded style based on original TJQ, utilising visual and auditory effects over practical useage. As such the swrods cannot be considered TJ swords because they are of a different quality/standard/type.

TJQ is a more practical style, utilising sword systems of a more practical nature, as well as utilising swords which were originally used in other styles, therefore are not wholly TJQ swords. As such, it is a misnomer to refer to them as TJ or TJQ swords.

Am I correct?

As for the "fencing" point, of course there are stylistic differences between Western and Chinese sword styles. However, not being familiar with the Chinese term(s) for opponent based combat swordplay, I chose to use a generic Western term.

My use of the term "fencing" is similar to the use of western terminology when describing Chinese swords as "sabres" etc (which would qualify it as "fencing"), or using the term "boxing", when referring to Chinese Boxing. I see no problem using the term "fencing" to mean swordplay against an opponent, especially when it is clear from the context that I do not refer to the different styles of western fencing.

So, does Jian-shu use combat/opponent-based sword-sparring? Also, is Jian-shu the same across different aspects of Wu Shu disciplines?

First and/or foremost, i have not considered anything I post as a "argument"

I view everything as a discussion

And, I did like the above post of yours.

The problem with martial arts, especially those of long history, is the misuse of their terms and methods

People tend to be complacent into reading or being told "one particular" thing and then someone finds out more info, esp that a little different, said "complacent people" are quick to dismiss

I became a martial art scholar some years after being a martial artist.

I rather research many different things

I like to find out the "Why?"

When I find out the answer to one "Why?", I ask "why?" to that answer

And in perpetual motion I learn and discover more things

One cannot be complacent or biased when researching the "Why?"

#432990 - 06/28/11 06:24 PM Re: Tai Chi Swords [Re: 47MartialMan]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

A superb reply.

I must apologise for the use of "argument", meaning it more as "stance" or "approach".

Discussions are always to be encouraged, and I must thank you for engaging me in this one. Please be assured, I am not as complacent as i may appear.

:-)

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Charles Mahan, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga