FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 40 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AndyLA 5
Dobbersky 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 3
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 03:51 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35573 Topics
432484 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#432651 - 06/04/11 09:57 PM Vegetarian?
choonbee Offline

Has anyone here ever tried a vegetarian diet?
I was talking to a neighbor the other day, and she mentioned that she was a vegetarian.
Interesting.
I never seriously considered becoming a vegetarian because all of the people that I've ever met that ate that way looked skinny and weak, but I was curious about the opinions or experiences of those who post here on this topic.

#432653 - 06/05/11 05:25 AM Re: Vegetarian? [Re: choonbee]
Zach_Zinn Offline
Veteran

Loc: Olympia, WA
Quote:
I never seriously considered becoming a vegetarian because all of the people that I've ever met that ate that way looked skinny and weak

Well i'd say that speaks to your lack of experience, rather than anything else, no offense.

I ate strictly vegetarian for something like 4 years, it has a lot of plusses going for it health wise.The American diet is usually so terrible that eating vegetarian at least removes a substantial source of overabundant fat in your diet, which combined with way too many starches is a nasty combination. Of course there are plenty of vegetarians that eat awful also.

I weigh about 210 right now, i'm not a little guy. I've known vegetarians who are huge and beefy, it's really a question of whether or not you actually know how to eat right while keeping vegetarian. Protein is not hard to get on a vegetarian diet. Vegan diets are where I see people looking unhealthy, but I am sure there it is also possible to eat healthily, though I imagine it's a bigger challenge.

If I remember right there are a few MMA fighters who are vegan and vegetarian, though I don't follow the scene well enough to be able to name them.

Edited by Zach_Zinn (06/05/11 05:27 AM)

#432655 - 06/05/11 12:04 PM Re: Vegetarian? [Re: Zach_Zinn]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
I was a semi-vegetarian (could go without meat for weeks at a time), and never noticed any problems strength-wise because of it. I probably was at my strongest then, although that speaks more to my injuries now, too.

My former BJJ instructor is a strict vegan, and he is in excellent shape. The only thing I've noticed with him is that he gets sick a lot, but that may not have anything to do with his diet.

Zach is correct, too. Jake Sheilds is a vegetarian.

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Jake-Shields-502

Edited by MattJ (06/05/11 12:06 PM)

#432659 - 06/05/11 01:06 PM Re: Vegetarian? [Re: choonbee]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

Good grief Choonbee... a couple of "skinny and weak" vegetarians for you:

Bill Pearl, Mr Olympia (and yes he was a veggie when he won Mr Olympia):

Pro Bodybuilder Albert Beckles:

Pro Arm Wrestler Rob Bigwood (guy on the right of the image in the black shirt):

My advice is not to change your diet so you'll have something to talk to your neighbour about. Do some research on it first and see if it might offer you any nutritional benefits. Or do it if you have recently developed an interest in animal wellbeing.

But please educate yourself on the subject of nutrition and vegetarianism first.

Edited by Prizewriter (06/05/11 01:07 PM)

#432661 - 06/05/11 03:31 PM Re: Vegetarian? [Re: Prizewriter]
choonbee Offline

Judging by that picture of Beckles, I guess it's safe to assume that a boatload of steroids is considered part of a vegetarian diet.
Good grief.

Edited by choonbee (06/05/11 03:34 PM)

#432663 - 06/05/11 04:15 PM Re: Vegetarian? [Re: choonbee]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

So he just ate steriods?

Many pro bodybuilders have probably at some point tinkered with roids. However, the body still needs fuel to build and maintain mass. Steroids alone can't do that. No doubt steroids can increase vascularity and aid recovery, but to put on any sort of mass the body needs fuel.

Do you think a vegetarian who consumes an excess of calories (i.e. more calories going in to the body than are being burnt off) aren't going to gain mass in their body?

Here is another example of a strong, athletic vegetarian. His name is Michael Bennett. He was a world amateur boxing champion in the heavyweight division. Here he is as a professional boxer in the red trunks demonstrating his formiddable punching power. Note at the 0:07 mark Bennett's stats are shown, and list him as having weighed in at 201 pounds.

Once more I would implore you to educate yourself on the subject and get rid of any notions that vegetarians are "skinny and weak". The examples I have shown offer proof that this is not the case with all vegetarians. Read up on something before you make a lifestyle choice that could effect your health.

#432664 - 06/05/11 05:01 PM Re: Vegetarian? [Re: Prizewriter]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland

Edited by trevek (06/05/11 05:02 PM)

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#432667 - 06/05/11 08:04 PM Re: Vegetarian? [Re: trevek]
choonbee Offline

Wow.
I didn't realize that there were so many vegetarian athletes.
Prizewriter: I wasn't planning on making the switch to being a vegetarian. I simply had a conversation with one, it sounded interesting, and I was curious as to how those on this board felt about it.
If I were going to do it, I would definitely educate myself on it, and speak with a nutritionist about it as well.
Truth is, I'm pretty happy with my diet as it is. I just thought that it would be an interesting topic for discussion here.

#432672 - 06/06/11 04:47 AM Re: Vegetarian? [Re: choonbee]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

No worries. Sorry if my tone was alarmist, I thought you were considering a change without reading in to it.

Here is an extreme example of what can happen when people decide to "eat in a healthy" way withouth knowing the full facts about what it is they are doing. The people mention in this articles were raw vegans, meaning they ate uncooked vegan food.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/...ill-848322.html

#432673 - 06/06/11 06:36 AM Re: Vegetarian? [Re: choonbee]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Easier to bullet point my responses to various issues raised so far.

1. There are 'degrees' of vegetarianism: Some call themselves vegetarians, whilst still eating fish, eggs, even chicken. Show me a fish-tree or a chicken plant and I'll eat my lifting belt, but the fact remains that someone saying 'I'm vegetarian' does not always imply they live on vegetables alone.

2. Your body can get everything it needs from a vegetarian diet, but its not as easy to accomplish by default, as you find it with an omnivorous diet.

The reasons being that non animal sources of protein tend to be 'incomplete' ie, any one kind of bean, or pulse or fungus, does not contain a broad spectrum of amino acids, so to achieve this you need practice 'protein complimentation', combining sources of vegetable protein that together address your amino acid needs.
In animal protein, that balance exists by default in most flesh.

3. Pro bodybuilders use steroids. All of them. But without training and nutritional support that meets their needs, no muscle tissue will grow. Therefor, a vegetarian pro bodybuilder offers an extreme visual evidence of vegetable protein being utilised successfully by the body.

The more food sources you deprive the body of, the more difficult it becomes to meet the wide ranging nutritional needs of your body, so the more hardline your vegetarianism, the more nutritionaly aware you need to be.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga