FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 25 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 5
AndyLA 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 3
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 03:51 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35573 Topics
432484 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#432504 - 05/27/11 04:50 AM Leasing/renting own premises to teach out of
mrlee Offline

Hi all

Looking for a bit of inspiration/advice if possible!

Myself and wife been involved in various martial arts for around 15 years and have been teaching kickboxing to various age groups for around 4 years. We have 4 successful clubs that we run from local leisure centres which have all seen good times and bad of course.

We both work, I run my own business and whilst we love nothing more than teaching we feel that we are stuck at a point and would like to combine the clubs together and teach from one location.

Our biggest gripe with leisure centres is that as Iím sure those of you are teaching your own classes from is the constant lack of clean floors, double booking, angry tennis players on the next courts, or idiots shouting over our teaching. Every week itís been a constant battle trying to sort out these issues, and of course thereís the old favourite of not being able to get onto our space and having to start 10-15 mins late...

We worked out that over the weeks and plus any other courses, personal classes we do we are spending the roughly the same amount of money as renting our own building to use full time.

Unfortunately the ideal area for us which is local rates are quite high on buildings, but we have located a place which already has a hall/workshop area, male & female changing/toilets, office, storage area (for equipment) and a large reception/waiting area. And is affordable to us!

Although reading through this you would think, well that sounds perfect whatís the problem? The fact of the matter is that the location is perfect it has pretty much everything for us apart from flooring but the training area would be quite a bit smaller than we are used to. Of course we could say yes its fine and we could fit X number of people in but having doubts about what the students would think?

Our initial idea was to split the classes up into juniors, adults, high grade, sparring, conditioning etc. etc. which we were planning to do at our current places but due to the cost of hire the rooms for extra hours it just wouldnít be worth it.

We feel that having our own place would be a much more professional look and benefit our students of having a private place to train with no interruptions and be of much more benefit to ourselves.

We are aware of all the costing etc. but wondering if anyone else had opened up their own private place of downsized in training area?

Your views and comments would be very much appreciated!

#432507 - 05/27/11 07:23 AM Re: Leasing/renting own premises to teach out of [Re: mrlee]
choonbee Offline

Sounds like a good idea to me.
Seems like it would be hard to concentrate in the setting that you are presently in, and as a student, I probably wouldn't like it very much.
Splitting the classes up sounds like a winner too. It would be easier for the instructor to focus on a specific type of training.
Good luck. I hope it works out for you.

#432516 - 05/27/11 04:50 PM Re: Leasing/renting own premises to teach out of [Re: choonbee]
WarblyDoo Offline

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
It sounds like based on your calculations you can afford it and you would really rather move to this new location. I to have often looked at the feasibility of moving to a new location (currently teaching at a local uni) but the numbers have never worked out for me. I envy your position.

I would take the time to redo your math with the assumption that you might lose a few students in the move. Some of your students will have chosen your class based on proximity and if you move you are likely to lose a couple of them and if you change your format you might lose a few more. Figure out your worst case (not the 100% of your students quit worst cast but some rational assumption) and then figure out if you can still afford the new location with that many students.

#432526 - 05/28/11 03:09 PM Re: Leasing/renting own premises to teach out of [Re: WarblyDoo]
mrlee Offline

Thankyou for your responses they are much valued

I beleive we can afford to do it with some losses, its natural. Like you say some people just dont like change at all!

Also with having our own premises theres the opportunity for us to rent out the place to other clubs. Granted its small but one of the local leisure centres we enquired about for a 2hour slot was £50 + VAT and was a much smaller room!

Again we have the option of selling our own equipment, nutrition etc.

#432599 - 05/31/11 10:31 PM Re: Leasing/renting own premises to teach out of [Re: mrlee]
47MartialMan Offline

The business of Martial Arts is like no other. The mass population does not view it as one of life's necesities.

I am not trying to sound condescending, negative, or burst a bubble, but over the course of decades, I have had 6 martial art schools at different intervals (of era-changing).

The current world economy is at a low, so be careful about choice on enterprising

#432994 - 06/29/11 04:35 AM Re: Leasing/renting own premises to teach out of [Re: 47MartialMan]
mrlee Offline

Originally Posted By: 47MartialMan
The business of Martial Arts is like no other. The mass population does not view it as one of life's necesities.

I am not trying to sound condescending, negative, or burst a bubble, but over the course of decades, I have had 6 martial art schools at different intervals (of era-changing).

The current world economy is at a low, so be careful about choice on enterprising

Hi 47Martialman

Would you mind me asking did/do you teach from your own premises or out of leisure facilities? What were your experiences of them?

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga