FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
William_Bent 1
simonajones111 1
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#432720 - 06/11/11 01:42 PM Re: Defense in Karate [Re: Razma]
Ives Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: the Netherlands
We do Bogu-kumite, that means more or less: You are going to be hit. Hit hard.
If your techniques are not up to par, you are going to injure someone. (Low level participants tend to be the worst opponents injury wise.)
But befor you start blocking/parrying, you have to know how to attack.
'Give before you take.' (Or something like that smile )
Knowing how to attack, will tell you what to defend for.

#432723 - 06/11/11 04:11 PM Re: Defense in Karate [Re: gojuman59]
Razma Offline

Originally Posted By: gojuman59
That is correct Martialman. In our class the sparring we do is only to work on techniques for self-defense. It didn't take to long to find out that my tournament teqhniques from the past weren't gonna help in this type of sparring.

keep training, Mark

I see a lot of tournament videos where the techniques are fast but don't have anything behind them. Why do people train like this? It may win trophies but won't help in an actual confrontation.

#432724 - 06/11/11 05:07 PM Re: Defense in Karate [Re: Razma]
choonbee Offline

I guess because some people are interested in winning trophies and tournament competition.
Personally I couldn't care less about tournaments, but if the participants enjoy them, then great.

#432728 - 06/11/11 07:23 PM Re: Defense in Karate [Re: choonbee]
Matakiant Offline

Because they like to win trophies - there is nothing bad in that by itself

What is bad when these people who ONLY train that type of martial arts claim to be able to do and teach things they never really learn i.e self defense.

Competition is not a bad thing but I do not like or approve of big competitions and tourneys I believe there is enough competition in the dojo where you train between your fellow practitioners.

When tournaments become focus the martial part of any art gets shadowed and much often completely lost as people only practice for tournaments and alike of course if the competitions are full contact things are very much different but semi-contact, light contact or even no contact is clearly dominating most hugely popular martial arts these days.

If what your looking for is a strong and powerful technique then be prepared to work for it, it's a lot easier to become a good competitive Karateka than an actual martial artist and a Karateka.

#432752 - 06/12/11 08:08 AM Re: Defense in Karate [Re: Matakiant]
choonbee Offline

Originally Posted By: Matakiant
What is bad when these people who ONLY train that type of martial arts claim to be able to do and teach things they never really learn i.e self defense.

Agreed.
Not that there aren't tournament people around who can't defend themselves. I'm sure there are plenty who can, but being good at tournaments doesn't automatically mean that you are good at self-defense.
People can claim anything they want. It's just talk.
The reality check comes when they are put into a situation where they have to defend themselves for real. Then they learn the truth about what they can do, good or bad.
People who go around claiming to be able to do this or that have a problem with self-esteem. Besides ourselves, and possibly our instructors, nobody really cares about what we can do as martial artists, and if someone enjoys bragging about what they can do, then their attitude isn't right in the first place.

#432781 - 06/13/11 09:19 AM Re: Defense in Karate [Re: choonbee]
Dobbersky Offline
Peace Works!!!!
Enthusiast

Loc: Manchester United Kingdom
MMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

We're going back to "levels of contact" discussion.........

Again!!!!

I being a Knockdown Karateka will only say that a Blackbelt SHOULD be sparring Full Contact "Knock Down" with other Blackbelts whereas Lower grades should be between NON-Contact (Whitebelt) and FULL Contact(third Brown)

I forgot about the "Push hands" in Tai Chi but its not the same as the Sparring I'm used to. The closest Chinese Art to have Sparring Clsoe to my type of Sparring is "San Shou" or "San Da". "Cung Le" is a famous practitioner of the style

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanshou

Regards Sparring and Defence, its just confidence and Shadow Sparring builds confidence and also the One Step gives meaning to some of the defences etc in Karate

OSU

Ken

#432783 - 06/13/11 10:32 AM Re: Defense in Karate [Re: Dobbersky]
gojuman59 Offline

Loc: Missouri
I have boatloads of respect for your style of karate. Correct me if I'm wrong here but are you saying that at black belt level all sparring should be done at full contact only? Is there nothing to be learned by the give and take between opponents at a lower level of contact?
I realize that knockdown Karate is the real deal. I'm not a wimp here(just getting old.)

keep training, Mark

#432827 - 06/16/11 11:29 AM Re: Defense in Karate [Re: gojuman59]
Dobbersky Offline
Peace Works!!!!
Enthusiast

Loc: Manchester United Kingdom
Originally Posted By: gojuman59
I have boatloads of respect for your style of karate. Correct me if I'm wrong here but are you saying that at black belt level all sparring should be done at full contact only? Is there nothing to be learned by the give and take between opponents at a lower level of contact?
I realize that knockdown Karate is the real deal. I'm not a wimp here(just getting old.)

keep training, Mark

Mark-san, I have huge respect for Goju Ryu too, I have a couple of Goju Yudansha that come and "play" quite regularily

For Black belts, I would say in the Dojo, its Full Contact with Common Sense. You're not out to damage and destroy your training partner, just not tippy tappy bouncy bouncy one strike and scream, it MUST be continuous and no points just knock-down rules!

Ken

#432828 - 06/16/11 07:29 PM Re: Defense in Karate [Re: Dobbersky]
gojuman59 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Continuous sparring is definitly the way to go. Tag ...you're it... doesn't cut it.
I was checking out one of your old posts (432374) and took in your kata from Ashahara. Most impressive.Your kata looks like a real fight is happening. Not too many kata I've seen are like that. You know what I mean. Most look like old school. Which is cool with me. The Ashahara kata looks like someone just opened a huge can of whup--s. They flow different than I'm used to seeing. Different,but cool.
I wish I wasn't so ancient and could get in there and bang like that,but I'd probably get knocked out.Ha!Ha! I'd get hit so hard I would wake up and my clothes would be out of style.

Keep training, Mark

#432832 - 06/16/11 10:10 PM Re: Defense in Karate [Re: gojuman59]
Matakiant Offline

What style do you practice Dobbersky?

And if you think full contact should begin at third brown how long is the average transition from that to black belt in your style.

Ohh and does it actually begin at third brown in your style?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga