FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
AndyLA 3
Matakiant 3
futsaowingchun 2
Zombie Zero 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
Martial News
by Matakiant
Today at 06:42 AM
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Martial News
by Matakiant
Today at 06:42 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Matakiant
09/18/14 07:11 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35576 Topics
432496 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#432962 - 06/26/11 12:53 AM Re: Throwing [Re: Prizewriter]
Zach_Zinn Offline
Veteran

Loc: Olympia, WA
Quote:
To a certain extent yes. I'm not saying Judo is a great art for blocking strikes. To say that you will learn NOTHING in Judo that will help you avoid being struck is not entirely correct IMO though. The footwork used in Judo is useful in breaking grips and keeping you out of arms reach. Doesn't matter if a person is going to grab you or punch you, if you are out of arms reach neither of those things are going to happen. Additionly as I mentioned, in Judo it is possible to immobilize a persons arms or restrict their movement somewhat, which should reduce the risk of being punched.

It isn't an art at all for blocking, evading, receiving, reciprocating strikes.

Unless of course the Judoka in question are actually training against strikes while grip fighting. Usually they aren't training like that. It's certainly possible to use the grips to immobilize, but you first need to actually know to deal with actual incoming percussive force, and know how to turn that into grips - a whole different animal than just grip attempts, much of the grip fighting only will work against the grips, and would fare poorly against committed strikes, IMO. That's saying nothing of the fact that throwing a Judoka is gonna be different than throwing a non Judoka who is trying to hit you..

Quote:
As an example of the footwork/body movement in Judo that keeps a person out of arms reach, watch this clip from the excellent Jimmy Pedro/Rhadi Ferguson DVD about grip fighitng. Note how Rhadi moves out of arms reach at around 0:45 to stop Jimmy getting a grip. This same movement could be used to avoid a punch IMO:

Just moving out of reach isn't that great against a dedicated attacker trying to take your head off IMO, other than buy a few seconds, or simply get away. If you are engaging then with lateral movement you may have something. Still just because something can be used a certain way doesn't mean you know how to do something else by default. This is akin to the argument you seein Karate circles sometimes about the "grappling" found in Karate, sure it's there, sure the movements can work, that doesn't mean doing a few arm twistings in a Karate context makes you a grappler.

Quote:
Having studied both, I think a Judo offers more ways to deal with being struck with punches (or other arm strikes) than the other way round.

Judo offers zero in terms of not getting hit, because Judoka don't train against that, or even with that in mind. AS impressed as I was with Judo, I can say unequivocally that they are last the people I would ask at all about striking, blocking strikes etc..it was clearly not part of their skillset at all, and I feel quite confident that my years in Karate would serve me much, much, better than Judo ever could in terms of dealing with strikes...because i learn to deal with strikes with someone hitting me.

Unless the Judo is being trained that way what you are talking about is purely theoretical.

Worse than ranged punches closing the gap is actually what could be done with hitting with elbows an knees in the entry phase of a Judo throw anyway . There are a ton of bad openings for strikes you create when you grip fight and play the Judo chess game...because Judo randori isn't meant to teach a single thing about striking, i'm a little amazed that this notion is being argued against, especially here of all places!

Judo is fantastic at what it does, but to claim it's carries with it automatic success outside of Judo is a flawed argument. What makes Judo so awesome is precisely the fact that the live training is completely focused on that environment, it would not works quite the same in real life.

Another example in keeping with the OP is how kazushi and and throws would have to function outside of Judo. In randori it seems like throws function as counters, or are often set up with combo throws. There two things work because you are fighting another judoka, sure they could be adapted outside of Judo...but the reason they function the way they do is because you are fighting a Judoka.

You can be a complete neophyte and make it really hard for a good Judoka to throw you if you just don't play by the rules...i.e. stall, which of course you get in trouble for in matches..that should tell you something right there about how throwing functions differently in real life chaos than in Judo matches.

This will IMO be closer to what you would actually face than a Judoka who plays the counter for counter game with you..which seems to suggest that the way to use throws in real life is set them up with strikes (again not covered anywhere in Judo randori..but it is in jujutsu), or let them function as purely finding opportunities given to you.You certainly can't run up to someone and drop-knee seionage them without setting it up, and combo throws are pretty predictive to rely on in the chaos of real life.

Again i'm not trying to bag on Judo, what it does it does fantastically well. If we are going to talk about "do throws work on the street" though..probably we should actually talk about how that would work, instead of just seeing Judo as a panacea because it involves live training.

As a disclaimer..i'm trying to stick to the subject here, people can and have used Judo successfully in plenty of real life situations, it CAN be used that way, but if the question is how can it be trained most effectively that way, I think it's probably reasonable to suggest you'd have to take it out of the strictly competitive Judo vs. Judo realm first.

Part of the reason I drone on about this is because my main training partner is a Jujutsu guy, we basically exchange stuff, he learns Karate, and then he teaches me some groundwork, throwing etc. and we work that. We have done a little playing too, it's very fun. So it's a subject I've thought about a decent amount recently, and I find it fascinating.

Edited by Zach_Zinn (06/26/11 02:39 AM)

#432966 - 06/26/11 07:49 AM Re: Throwing [Re: Zach_Zinn]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

You make some good points Zach and I respect that. Judo in no way is a good art to take if you want to avoid being hit. To say it is 100% useless against a striking art in terms of not getting hit I don't agree with. I guess we shall have to agree to disagree on this one, but for sure it was a good debate and you made some interesting points. Thanks for that!

#432971 - 06/27/11 10:27 AM Re: Throwing [Re: Prizewriter]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Good debate, guys. I fall a bit more towards PW's side of the argument. Judo can work well against strikers, by virtue of taking the space that strikers need to get their strikes off. Unless the striker in question is super good, or has some grappling experience of his own, they will likely have a hard time once clinched by a judo guy.

#432974 - 06/27/11 05:39 PM Re: Throwing [Re: MattJ]
Zach_Zinn Offline
Veteran

Loc: Olympia, WA
Thinking about it in terms of "can an x beat an x" is flawed I think, that is never the whole story what is happening.

I'm not saying it can't be used like that, i'm saying that by the vast majority of Judoka it isn't used like that, so saying that it can be used against strikes is pointless, since hardly any strict Judoka are doing that, you have no training example to draw from.

I'd also argue a bit with the clinch thing, playing Judo randori (which I didn't do a ton of, but enough to get some general ideas) one of the first things I noticed is I had to actively turn off the part of my brain that looks for strike openings, because the grips and kazushi movements open up a ton of them for you. In some cases if you were fighting a non judoka that decided to just shield their face with an elbow as you set them up for your tai otoshi or whatnot, you would eat the elbow without some major modification. And once again, using Judo on a non Judoka who doesn't want to be thrown, or is much bigger than you..totally different deal than setting up another player with combo throws or counters.

I found what a lot of what I learned in my time doing it extremely valuable, and I didn't even do it that long! However i'm also pretty convinced it would an error to call the training geared towards self defense or some kind of broad real world application, the training is pretty much geared towards winning Judo competition..there may be some intersection, but they aren't the same animal.

Again, i'm not talking about "can a judoka beat a striker, an anything can beat an anything. I'm just talking about conclusions you can probably draw based on training method.

AS far as whether it can be used as is..well, any combat sport training is intense and hands on enough that it will give the practitioner a huge leg up in a real world situation, that isn't quite the same thing as saying the combat sport is good real world self protection training, rugby or football would give plenty of people a leg up too, that doesn't mean it's training geared for that.

Anyway thanks for the talk, it was interesting..and it's a fun area to play with.

Edited by Zach_Zinn (06/27/11 06:00 PM)

#433081 - 07/05/11 01:12 AM Re: Throwing [Re: Prizewriter]
47MartialMan Offline

Originally Posted By: Prizewriter
You make some good points Zach and I respect that. Judo in no way is a good art to take if you want to avoid being hit. To say it is 100% useless against a striking art in terms of not getting hit I don't agree with. I guess we shall have to agree to disagree on this one, but for sure it was a good debate and you made some interesting points. Thanks for that!

I have seen Judoka do well against strikers. If JJ can do well against strikers, so can Judo.

#433089 - 07/05/11 09:25 AM Re: Throwing [Re: Zach_Zinn]
iaibear Offline
Veteran

Loc: upstate New York
<< It (Judo) isn't an art at all for blocking, evading, receiving, reciprocating strikes. >>

From an outsider's point of view, those moves are normal for Aikido.

#436266 - 07/03/14 07:40 PM Re: Throwing [Re: Anonymous]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
One: just looking at this thread again after having witnessed Ronda Rousey wreaking havoc in the octagon using judo very successfully. As we can see, it requires very little adjustment to achieve the clinch against a striker and throw someone.

Two: do I get flagged for digging up an old thread ;-)

-John

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga