FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 48 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 15
cxt 8
trevek 6
futsaowingchun 3
JKogas 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Throwing
by
04/23/05 10:58 PM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
Today at 12:01 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/29/14 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432457 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#416972 - 05/20/09 10:29 AM Re: What Was Your First Ever Sparring Session Like? [Re: Urban_Samurai]
TheCrab Offline
Scum

Loc: QLD Australia
my first proper sparring session in muay thai I went into thinking I was a total badass.

I kept jabbing thinking i was the [censored], got kicked in the leg then uppercutted, took me 30 seconds to let go of my head haha

#416973 - 05/22/09 06:07 AM Re: What Was Your First Ever Sparring Session Like? [Re: TheCrab]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
Hahaha

I got knocked out in the same fashion. A leg kick followed with an uppercut.

~Donnie

#416974 - 05/23/09 03:42 PM Re: What Was Your First Ever Sparring Session Like? [Re: Taison]
IExcalibui2 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York City
my first was something like 4,5 years ago?

one day my Sifu decided to not supervise us and left us to the usual routine. Since he wasnt there I brought up the idea of sparring. So me and my kungfu brotha went at it.

Lots of bridging happening. At the time, I knew a little bit of Muay Thai so I tried to mix it in with my Mantis. Didnt work so well. But his set up moves were always the same so I just caught on and used it against him, landing some light hits to the body (we werent striking the face).

Then somehow he had my back and pushed him against the wall. I tried to pry his hands out and struggled a little. I got a bit wild to loosen up his grip and then I ended up landing a back elbow to his face, which did the trick. But it was accidental and we stopped there haha

#420802 - 07/12/09 02:40 AM Re: What Was Your First Ever Sparring Session Like? [Re: IExcalibui2]
ThunderinJoe Offline

My first was in boxing. I weighed about 165lbs and got in the ring with my trainer who was 220lbs. To make a long story short I learned I don't like the taste of my own blood. I don't enjoy the ringing in my ears. I needed to move more. I needed to punch more. I need to control my breathing. Generally it was a wake up call. I don't know squat.

#421031 - 07/23/09 01:37 PM Re: What Was Your First Ever Sparring Session Like? [Re: ThunderinJoe]
TheCrab Offline
Scum

Loc: QLD Australia
Yeah, whenever you start to think your half decent, hop in the ring with someone a bit bigger than you. instant buzz kill haha

#427315 - 05/22/10 03:36 AM Re: What Was Your First Ever Sparring Session Like? [Re: MattJ]
thirdwheel Offline
Stranger

depends what you count when i was young me and my freinds had little fightclubs during recess those where good no one ever really got hurt. then when i was 11 or 12 i tried taekwondo for about a year didnt spar once it was more like a dance class than anything. so ive never spared in a dojo type enviornment but ive been in a couple fights where we where both looking to [censored] the other guy up that ended in us laughing our asses off

#428175 - 07/08/10 07:45 AM Re: What Was Your First Ever Sparring Session Like? [Re: thirdwheel]
Phenix_Rider Offline

My first sparring would have been as a yellow belt (2nd rank), about 6 years ago. The group would have been me, two guys my height, but more muscled, a shorter guy our age (all three a rank or two higher than me), and an older, rounder guy several ranks higher.

I got popped in the face a few times- lots of teering up and head shaking, but no bloody nose. I nailed one of the taller guys in the ear with a hook. The shorter guy stayed well out of range, and the older guy had a nasty side kick which he would shoot straight into my ribs. Overall though, us younger guys did a lot of clean techniques into the air, and dancing away.

I've only been back a month or so- after nearly 4 years off, but I haven't lost too much in sparring or technique from when I left. (much improved from that first night!) I cornered and pummeled several clasmates yesterday LOL. (Light contact and very limited target area) Forms are horrible though...

#428246 - 07/12/10 12:01 PM Re: What Was Your First Ever Sparring Session Like? [Re: MattJ]
VoltMan Offline
Stranger

I started going to boxing with my cousin to lose weight. I was 14 at the time and I had enjoyed the 3 or 4 classes I had attended. On my second week of going i was surprised to hear it was sparring day. Coach decided to put me up against a 30 year old triathlete for 2 minutes.

First 30 seconds were pretty bad but not terrible. He wasn't really coming at me hard and only threw a couple of hits. I got a bit cocky and threw as many one-twos my poor stamina could bear. Landed about 2 proper hits to the guy. Before I knew it I was drained. At 30 seconds I stopped fighting. At 45 seconds I stopped moving. At 1 minute I stopped guarding. The guy ended up throwing everything he knew at me which surprisingly was alot more then my one-twos. Ended up in the corner for the rest of the fight. Can't say it was a pleasant first time but I learned alot from it.

#428277 - 07/13/10 08:20 PM Re: What Was Your First Ever Sparring Session Like? [Re: VoltMan]
SocratesTheBeast Offline
The Powerlifting Beast

Loc: Brooklyn (Fort Greene)
To be honest the guys in my class at least, aren't really a challenge, one is out of shape and slow (both physically/mentally), one is old (60+?) and one is a "large" woman, the only one whose a challenge is this Mexican who's just as quick and agressive as me, I do have a story though:

I sparred against the overweight kid, beat him, the old dude kicked me in my nuts...TWICE (by that time I was ready to kick him in his face), but I beat him, then I sparred against a black belt and beat him too, so by that time I'm feeling like the ish till I got matched with ANOTHER black belt, Idk if he did it to show me who was boss or being a dickhead but he kicked me RIGHT in the throat and it hurt like HELL I was coughing and gagging, ever since then I wanted to punch him in his face.

As for real sparring, I came first in my regional tourney, couldn't attend nationals because it was on my sabbath (Saturday).

Here's round 1:

Sparring Round 1

Waiting for my instructor to upload round 2...Been 4 months now...

Learned to humble myself and my pride and to not underestimate everyone since then.

Edited by SocratesTheBeast (07/13/10 09:25 PM)

Download my first solo mixtape: http://tweetmysong.com/x1dlno
Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/freshthepoet

#428353 - 07/16/10 04:04 PM Re: What Was Your First Ever Sparring Session Like? [Re: SocratesTheBeast]
MadPanda Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
I was scared for sure...I was young and new to taekwondo, they went easy on me luckily and unlike some other posters in this thread I did NOT get kicked in the boys so that was very very good lol

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, McSensei, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga