FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 34 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Ronin1966 3
Victor Smith 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
cxt 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#405950 - 08/30/08 11:46 AM Re: Difficulties with a new instructor [Re: NewJitsu]
JasonM Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

It shouldn't matter that he gets on with other students - bullies have friends too.

Amen!

It ain't you fault. Trust and believe that.

#405951 - 08/30/08 07:23 PM Re: Difficulties with a new instructor [Re: JasonM]
TKD_X Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: HERE
Talk to him. if he doesn't seem to understand or care, and you want to stick with your organization, follow MattJ's advice and find out who his boss is. perhaps the chief instructor you mentioned (the one who graded you) would have something to say about it.

#405952 - 08/30/08 11:28 PM Re: Difficulties with a new instructor [Re: TKD_X]
JasonM Offline
Professional Poster

I think one has to be careful going over an instructors head. Especially if she or someone plans on staying at the school. Some people dont' take it well when ya go over there head. I know it ain't right but that is just the way people are.

But if you really want to stay, do what you have to.

#405953 - 08/31/08 12:26 AM Re: Difficulties with a new instructor [Re: JasonM]
TKD_X Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: HERE
i see what you mean Jason. well i see it like this if WN does nothing, she will keep receiving verbal abuse, which will probably end in her leaving. If she talks to the instructor and it doesn't help, she'll probably end up leaving. If she talks to her instrutor's senior, maybe he can do something. if not she'll end up leaving. otherwise, where's the solution that allows her to stay at the school? that is why i said to try talking to the instructor first.

-TKD_X

#405954 - 08/31/08 12:57 AM Re: Difficulties with a new instructor [Re: TKD_X]
JasonM Offline
Professional Poster

I agree..It is a hard situation. I guess it boils down to if she wants to stay or not.

#405955 - 09/01/08 04:46 AM Re: Difficulties with a new instructor [Re: WadoNovice]
ThomsonsPier Offline

Loc: Reading, UK
Quote:

I just find it difficult to believe that my instructor is at fault.

I used to think like this; not in any martial arts school, just life in general. I later realised that just because someone's in a position of authority doesn't mean he's not an arse.

Edited by ThomsonsPier (09/01/08 04:48 AM)

War. It's fan-tastic!

#405956 - 09/12/08 02:53 AM Re: Difficulties with a new instructor [Re: WadoNovice]
Jeff_G Offline

Loc: Midwest
OK, let us take a look at this from a couple of different angles.

First, you.
Quit buying into his nonsense! I want you to stop thinking of yourself as pathetic, effective immediately.
Yes, you do have a responsibility to learn. That is your portion of the teacher-student arrangement. But if the information is not presented to you in the first place, you don't get to do your part.

Now, him.
He is a jerk.
He doesn't understand the simple basics of teaching.
Even if he has some unspoken problem with you, he has to hold up his end and teach.

Now, the school.
The owner, chief instructor, whoever want to know about this. Chances are really good that you are not the only person on the stinky end of his teaching stick.

Now, me.
As an instructor, it was my responsibility to correct student's technique all the time. Over the years, I developed a process to make it work out better.
Every time I made a negative comment on a student's technique, I considered it as if it was a small cut or opened something with that person. Naturally, I would make the needed correction on the spot and then continue my cruising around the room. Eventually, I made a point of stopping back at that student to close the issue by seeing how they are progressing. Some sort of positive comment usually followed, if only to encouraage them to keep trying and commend the effort.

Of course everyone has their own teaching style, but it would never occour to me to belittle anyone, much less be a party to a student beating themself up.

Go talk to the guy. Like, what's the worst that can happen, he starts treating you badly?

Give him one chance to straighten up. After that, talk to the boss.

Good luck and keep us posted on how this works out.

Jeff G.

#405957 - 09/12/08 12:05 PM Re: Difficulties with a new instructor [Re: WadoNovice]
Ives Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: the Netherlands
If your instructor make a comment on your 'failing' technique, ask him a way to improve. It's his job.
Tell him, that you can't improve if he doesn't say how to.

If that won't work, talk to his boss (?chief instructor?). If he still doesn't change his approach in teaching. Find an other school. There are lots of Wado school in England.

Good luck.

#405958 - 09/12/08 09:23 PM Re: Difficulties with a new instructor [Re: WadoNovice]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: East Coast, United States
Hello C:

Is this individual FAIR and consistant with his approach or are you the only person with a target on your back?

Sounds like the instructor is a seriously, pompass jerk to be polite about it. Might well be the best teacher in the known universe, but myself I don't need to be humiliated, insulted, berated... I can do that without paying for that priveledge!

If thats the approach you want to learn by all means enjoy it... thankfully there are far better/more mature approaches.

There are some who will thrive in hades... but I don't want to train there myself.

Jeff

#405959 - 09/15/08 11:44 AM Re: Difficulties with a new instructor [Re: Ronin1966]
WadoNovice Offline

Loc: England
A big thank you to everyone who took the time to answer my posts. All the replies have helped me get enough confidence to realise that I don't really deserve this kind of treatment.

So I just thought that I'd post a quick update. I still go to his class but only once a week A few weeks ago, a 1st Kyu that I had never met before (he's been off with an injury) came to class. He's also privileged enough to get the same sort of treatment from our instructor as I do. We've sort of started our own remedial class in a corner. It's also nice to know that it's not just me. So that's an improvement.

I have also looked around and found another school that is associated with my club. I go to that once a week. It's a real trek from where I live but worth every hour I spend travelling.

It's hard to explain how rejuvenated my interest/love for Karate has become over the last couple of weeks.

Thanks again for all the advice,

C

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga