FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 22 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
charlie 2
Matakiant 1
William_Bent 1
simonajones111 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#432256 - 05/01/11 05:27 PM Re: JCVD Behind Closed Doors [Re: Prizewriter]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
No doubt that his heavy cocaine addiction in the 90's ruined his career, and was self inflicted; but he was not diagnosed or treated for bi-polar disorder till after his downfall. Un diagnosed manic depression often leads to to destructive life choices as sufferers seek a 'high' to counteract their mood swings.

And I get what you are saying about the sequel to an extent, but as with Universal Soldier, there are several 'non JCVD' films in the series (featuring Burt Reynolds!!??), but they had no money behind them, and are not considered 'real' entries in the franchise by fans, and this is why 'U-Sol: Regeneration' with JC and Lundgren appearing again was such a big deal last year (it was also a top movie btw).

A 'real' Bloodsport sequel would involve Franx Dux, played by JCVD in another storyline, but the producers felt that this would not attract enough interest to make it worth the investment. That's what upset JC, not the film itself.

#432284 - 05/03/11 12:29 AM Re: JCVD Behind Closed Doors [Re: Cord]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
I think he started to take his characters home, actually believe he was this super badass, and facing the reality of things lead to identity crisis and his current craziness.
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#432291 - 05/03/11 02:38 PM Re: JCVD Behind Closed Doors [Re: Stormdragon]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

Interesting points you both make. JCVD's wife said he wants to get back to the top so his kids see him as a hero again. He genuinely does seem to believe he IS a hero! For example, he talked quite a bit about saving the world in an episode, and he seemed totally serious.

#432292 - 05/03/11 03:26 PM Re: JCVD Behind Closed Doors [Re: Prizewriter]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Yeah, you know, we all play roles. Sometimes the different roels we play start to blur into each other and we forget where one is supposed to end and another begin. I see it as no different with actors, worse actually because they tend to have to go much deeper into their roll and throw away all of who they really are and sometimes you end up losing yourself in it even when the work day is over. I think the same thing happend with Stephen Seagal.
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#432295 - 05/03/11 05:23 PM Re: JCVD Behind Closed Doors [Re: Stormdragon]
Kimo2007 Offline
Veteran

Quote:
I see it as no different with actors, worse actually because they tend to have to go much deeper into their roll and throw away all of who they really are and sometimes you end up losing yourself in it even when the work day is over.

Actually this is very true, especially of Method Actors. I read a study in college that found many actors are clinically insane even though fully functional. Over time they have played so many characters that they can no longer separate their real past from their acted roles. It's much worse for stage performers because the roles are played in linear time. Movie actors only do scenes which is a much different animal from what the study found.

I would also think being famous creates a public and private life which could very different. I could see where a person might begin to believe their own press (so to speak)

#432297 - 05/04/11 05:31 AM Re: JCVD Behind Closed Doors [Re: Kimo2007]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Originally Posted By: Kimo2007
Quote:
I see it as no different with actors, worse actually because they tend to have to go much deeper into their roll and throw away all of who they really are and sometimes you end up losing yourself in it even when the work day is over.

Actually this is very true, especially of Method Actors. I read a study in college that found many actors are clinically insane even though fully functional. Over time they have played so many characters that they can no longer separate their real past from their acted roles.

This reminds me of when Hoffman worked with Olivier on 'Marathon Man'. Hoffman, following the 'method' approach, starved himself and locked himself away in a dark room for 48 hours, and arrived on set looking like hell for the torture scenes.
Olivier approached him and said 'what ever is the matter?' to which Hoffman replied with an explanation of what he had gone through to get 'in the zone'. Olivier merely replied 'My dear boy, have you ever thought about acting instead?'

Van Damme is not confused about who he is. He has fallen from grace in the eyes of his family because he used to beat the sh1t out of his wife and fvck other women behind her back when the kids were young. He then left her (and them) for another woman, but came crawling back, and his wife took him back and helped him get off the drugs.
Her love is what allowed him back in the family home, but he lost the respect of his children, and is also dealing with a massive level of guilt and a feeling that he doesnt deserve the forgiveness he has recieved from his wife.
THAT is what he means about becoming a 'hero' to his family- he is trying to redeem himself. Its got nothing to do with believing he is Frank Dux wink

#432298 - 05/04/11 07:10 AM Re: JCVD Behind Closed Doors [Re: Cord]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

I still think he believes he's Frank Dux.

#432301 - 05/04/11 11:18 AM Re: JCVD Behind Closed Doors [Re: Stormdragon]
Dobbersky Offline
Peace Works!!!!
Enthusiast

Loc: Manchester United Kingdom
Does he get the contract to fight the Thai Fighter?

Ken

#432314 - 05/05/11 07:47 PM Re: JCVD Behind Closed Doors [Re: Kimo2007]
rideonlythelabel Offline
Veteran

Loc: st-hubert quebec canada
Originally Posted By: Kimo2007
Quote:

Actually this is very true, especially of Method Actors. I read a study in college that found many actors are clinically insane even though fully functional. Over time they have played so many characters that they can no longer separate their real past from their acted roles. It's much worse for stage performers because the roles are played in linear time. Movie actors only do scenes which is a much different animal from what the study found.

Well, that would explain why Daniel Day Lewis is nuttier than a bag of trail mix. But I wonder if its the acting that causes the crazy or the crazy that causes the acting?

#432319 - 05/06/11 04:32 AM Re: JCVD Behind Closed Doors [Re: rideonlythelabel]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

You have to be nuts to play the role he played in there Will be Blood. Nonetheless, one of my favorite actors.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, RazorFoot, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga