FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
LeroyCFischer 1
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
Beefcake 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 13 of 14 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 >
Topic Options
#431650 - 02/27/11 07:48 PM Re: A post for those who might become martial artists. [Re: Ronin1966]
choonbee Offline

My area has it's fair share of Mc-dojos, but I lucked out by picking a school with experienced instructors who are traditional, and at the same time willing to incorporate new methods into our training.
No contracts, inexpensive, and achieving black belt takes about 6 years provided you pass all of your tests.
I watched a few classes before I joined, and never was pressured into signing up. After I did join, I found that the instructors and higher ranking students are very helpful and take the time to show me the right way to do things.
My instructor had a student who fell on hard times due to the economic downturn, but he let him continue to train with us until he got back on his feet. He did little chores around the dojo to cover his fees.
I have to say that I'm pretty happy with my dojo so far. It's tough training, and it takes a lot out of me (I'm 45) but I'm learning a lot, I've dropped 21 pounds in the 8 weeks that I've been training, and when class is over I have a satisfied feeling of accomplishment.

#431652 - 03/01/11 08:09 AM Re: A post for those who might become martial artists. [Re: choonbee]
iaibear Offline
Veteran

Loc: upstate New York
It's tough choosing a Martial Art without advice.
Even in the same art (in my case Aikido), without being informed of various styles of instruction (in my case drilling vs, traditional), how can you make a choice? Especially if you do not even know you have a choice.
Saying "sample local schools" is true. But if you don't know what to look for beyond "fit", or are advised to "check previous discussions on the forum" a newby is left puzzled. I know I was.
And do not ask me where to look for previous discussions. I never found them.

#431653 - 03/01/11 05:00 PM Re: A post for those who might become martial artists. [Re: iaibear]
choonbee Offline

Yes...it's pretty much a shot in the dark if you go at it on your own.
You may narrow it down to what you would like to learn, but once you start, you may find that it isn't what you thought it would be.
On the other hand, some styles may not appeal to you on the surface, but you may find that you like it once you get started.
I guess keeping an open mind is the key.
For me, getting started was the biggest step. With no previous martial arts experience to speak of, I felt that doing something was better than doing nothing at all, and I chose the school that I felt the most comfortable with.
I may decide to switch up in the future and try a different style, and not being bound by a contract gives me the financial freedom to make that choice if I feel the need, but as for now, as a beginner, I look foward to classes, and find myself remembering many of the techniques that we practice.

#431892 - 04/04/11 12:00 AM Re: A post for those who might become martial artists. [Re: choonbee]
47MartialMan Offline

I would like to add:

Don't study a martial art under peer influences such as;

*Who is saying what they do is the best.

*Quasi ambiance, such as claims and entertaining demonstrations

*Popularity

*Media, such as film and television

#432378 - 05/14/11 07:31 AM Re: A post for those who might become martial artists. [Re: horizon]
Jilson Thomas Offline
Stranger

Very cool info. Looking forward to your next post

#432380 - 05/14/11 10:34 PM Re: A post for those who might become martial artists. [Re: Jilson Thomas]
47MartialMan Offline

Originally Posted By: Jilson Thomas
Very cool info. Looking forward to your next post

I was fortunate back in the late 60's to 70's to have the majority of my instructors who did not charge me for lessons.

In 74-79, one of my Chinese instructors had me do chores around his house for lessons.

Nah, it wasn't a Daniel-Miyagi wax on wax off, etc.

#433356 - 07/19/11 05:37 AM Re: A post for those who might become martial artists. [Re: 47MartialMan]
Alicja Offline
Stranger

I have read this twice and thought twice, thanks for the advice, I must admit i joined training way back then due to these influences but gladly today I'm the only one left still on training. the rest of the guys lost interest. still im not sure if I should say "gladly"

Originally Posted By: 47MartialMan
I would like to add:

Don't study a martial art under peer influences such as;

*Who is saying what they do is the best.

*Quasi ambiance, such as claims and entertaining demonstrations

*Popularity

*Media, such as film and television

#435777 - 05/01/13 10:44 PM Re: A post for those who might become martial artists. [Re: Leo_E_49]
mmichelozzi Offline
Stranger

Loc: MI
I like your post, Leo, because it is helpful and has good advice. I am sixty-seven years old in fairly good shape and a few months ago my twelve year old grand daughter asked me if I'd take a tkd class with her - she was starting her second session. So I did.

I'm fairly active - I either cycle or hike every day - and do some exercises - so I was in fairly good shape for a guy my age starting out.

I've never done any martial arts in the past other than for the past few years I've studied bagua aikido from books and online videos, etc.

I'm discovering the challenges of waking up the hips and joints, stretching out, and learning the precision of the forms. I spend an hour or so every day stretching and practicing the forms and I like it.

I'm new to this forum and this is the first time I've posted anything here. I'm the kind of person who starts something and when I like it it becomes a part of my life even part time for the rest of my life.

That's it.

Mike

#435783 - 05/07/13 08:47 AM Re: A post for those who might become martial artists. [Re: mmichelozzi]
iaibear Offline
Veteran

Loc: upstate New York
Originally Posted By: mmichelozzi
I like your post, Leo, because it is helpful and has good advice. I am sixty-seven years old in fairly good shape and a few months ago my twelve year old grand daughter asked me if I'd take a tkd class with her - she was starting her second session. So I did.

Good for you, Mike. I was only 63 when I started MA. I'm still at it, too.

#435785 - 05/15/13 02:51 AM Re: A post for those who might become martial artists. [Re: mmichelozzi]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: mmichelozzi

Thanks Mike, I'm glad that this post was helpful for you. Best of luck with your training. smile

Page 13 of 14 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga