FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ronin1966 3
futsaowingchun 3
swordy 1
AndyLA 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by cxt
10/10/14 10:08 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35581 Topics
432508 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#431299 - 01/08/11 11:56 PM have checked faq's still a bit clueless
everlett Offline
Stranger

Hi all.
I'm a female who is not overly active persay, but not totally unfit either.All of my jobs have been physical labor ie lifting new toilets, roof shingles etc.I will be getting into tow truck driving(again)...now for my question please.
I'm looking to tone , not bulk up, defend only if necessary,and build up some strength.Does self defense suffice or some- any of the martial arts would be better?
I've read the postings,honestly i'm not trying to insult but this will not be my life, just my routine to stay trim, and be somewhat prepared for the work environment.
Appreciate all the help. In a.m I am checking out the differene between the gym, and any of the above.

Thanks for taking the time to at least read post.

#431301 - 01/09/11 10:35 AM Re: have checked faq's still a bit clueless [Re: everlett]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

Hello and Welcome.

You seem to have a pretty good grasp on what it is you want from a martial arts class which is a good start. I'll do my best to address your points.

i) Some martial arts classes are better than others in getting you in to shape. Classes like Aikido or Traditional Ju Jitsu don't really raise your heart rate THAT much. The exercise benefits are moderate at best (usually). You want a class that really gives you a good workout. On the other side of the coin some martial arts that are great exercise, like Judo and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, can have a pretty high injury rate compared to other martial arts classes, so you need to consider that. Nothing sucks more than having to take Monday off work because you got bust up at Judo class over the weekend. All martial arts have a certain amount of risk, but those aforementioned arts (and a few others) are particularly notorious for getting people injured.

The general advice I would give here is in terms of improving your fitness, go to a class and observe. See how fit the instructor is and the senior students are. This will give you an idea of how good a workout the class is.

ii)Re protecting yourself in the work environment, there is a lot of great reading material you should check out by genuine experts who have dealt with violence before. This is a great website with free and useful advice on staying safe: http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/

Also check out books by Gavin De Becker, Geoff Thompson and Rory Miller on the subject of staying safe.

In terms of physically fighting back against someone attacking you, there are a lot of variables. Generally though most people who work with some form of resistance based training will be better prepared at fighting (wherever it occurs) IMO. Resistance training means someone resisting your attempts to subdue them and attempting to fight back. Sparring is a good example of this.

If I had to start narrowing it down to systems you should check out, I would recommend something like Kickboxing, Muay Thai, a good (and safety orientated) Brazilian Jiu Jitsu school or possibly a Krav Maga class that incorporates some sort of sparring/resistance training in to their class.

I wouldn't even bother with things like Judo (too dangerous, good chance of getting injured), Aikido (not much of a workout generally and rarely any resistance work is done), Traditional Ju Jitsu (see Aikido reasons) most Karate classes (overly complicated and time consuming for what you are looking for) Tae Kwon Do (see Karate reasons) and Kung Fu* (see Karate reasons again).

Hope this is of some help. These are just my opinions and there a lot more experienced folks on here but this might get you started. Best thing to do is find some local classes and check them out.

* Kung Fu probably won't suit you, but something like Sanda/San Shou (Chinese Kickboxing) would be worth checking out based on what you are looking for.

Good luck and if you need anymore help let us know!

#431333 - 01/15/11 04:16 PM Re: have checked faq's still a bit clueless [Re: everlett]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: East Coast, United States
Hello everlett:

The short answers to your questions.

Physical fitness is a by-product of self-defense. To be physically active, intense will provide what you seek. But, there is absolutely ZERO connection between needing to be "fit" and self protection skills.

Push ups, jogging, callistenics <sp.?> are all wonderful things but completely irrelevent to genuine self-protection. Long term health certainly, but for self protection those skills, activities are not very relevent frankly.

If you can turn, breathe, take a single step you are capable to protect yourself. Martial arts training will help and not require a lifetime of study. Expertise, serious skill at self-protection requires time, but a fundamental basic skill, far less time.

Jeff

Edited by Ronin1966 (01/15/11 04:19 PM)
Edit Reason: clarification

#431346 - 01/18/11 03:42 PM Re: have checked faq's still a bit clueless [Re: Ronin1966]
Zombie Zero Offline
Compliance & Liability
Veteran

Loc: Lorton, VA
Aside from all the very good advice given above, I'd also encourage you to look at what types of classes are available in your area, if their classes fit in with your schedule, and if it works with your personal budget.

Welcome to the forums, and don't hesitate to ask any questions that you have on your mind!

#431351 - 01/19/11 10:18 AM Re: have checked faq's still a bit clueless [Re: Zombie Zero]
iaibear Offline
Veteran

Loc: upstate New York
You cannot pigeon hole any specific MA. It depends on the individual instructor.

I personally have attended three different Aikido dojo in the last seventeen years. The first was clearly defined and easy to learn because they basically drilled the techniques that would be appearing in the periodic testing.
The second was traditional where everything was demonstrated as variations which you personally had to decipher.
The third is self defense oriented and as practical as can be.
The weird part is all three schools share an identical lineage. All are taught by sincere people who learned together from the same sensei.

#431423 - 01/30/11 11:21 PM Re: have checked faq's still a bit clueless [Re: everlett]
red_1234 Offline
Stranger

can i ask??

You can ask the site owner to sell you advertising space.

Edited by Zombie Zero (01/31/11 04:38 PM)

#431433 - 01/31/11 02:27 PM Re: have checked faq's still a bit clueless [Re: red_1234]
iaibear Offline
Veteran

Ask what, please?

#431542 - 02/15/11 06:55 PM Re: have checked faq's still a bit clueless [Re: iaibear]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: East Coast, United States
Hello iaibear:

<<The weird part is all three schools share an identical lineage. All are taught by sincere people who learned together from the same sensei.

As it most definately should be, no??? If all the students, schools from a single lineage are robotic/identical or "cookie-cutter", is that an art or a mass prodiction, a factory???

I appreciate variations, subtleties, nuances within a given "ryu". A healthy thing, for a living art/practice.

Jeff

#431557 - 02/16/11 04:13 PM Re: have checked faq's still a bit clueless [Re: Ronin1966]
iaibear Offline
Veteran

<< I appreciate variations, subtleties, nuances within a given "ryu". A healthy thing, for a living art/practice.
Jeff >>

I spent six years at the first dojo “learning the test”. In short I became fluent in 5th kyu, good at 4th kyu, and coming on in 3rd kyu, one series of moves each. Like kata. All were committed to motor memory. When attacked in a given way, Aikido happened. Loved it!

It would have been easier if they had let me know there were very different ways of teaching Aikido, including those variations, subtleties, nuances you speak of. Not getting any younger, I though it was my failing memory. (It is vision related. My noticing eye has only periferal vision. I have never seen 3D. I simply do not see/notice details of motion.)

I spent the next ten years playing "Follow the Leader". The second dojo taught traditionally with no talking, no explanations. I tried to assimilate each demonstration into motor memory without success. I became thoroughly frustrated that I never same the same technique twice. I learned nothing. A friend did confess that Sensei was demonstrating variations. "Variations of what?" I asked. I was informed that was for me to figure out.

Right then I made my infamous remark, "If I am supposed to be teaching myself, what is HE here for?" pointing at Sensei. With no other local Aikido schools, I resigned myself to not cluttering my memory with dozens of, to me, unrelated techniques. I attended because I enjoyed the exercise and the company. And gave up even the hope of learning Aikido. Until I discovered the third dojo.

I still attend the second, but now feel I am actually learning again.

Edited by iaibear (02/16/11 04:30 PM)

#432568 - 05/31/11 04:11 AM Re: have checked faq's still a bit clueless [Re: everlett]
Fraco Offline
Stranger

Loc: Florida
Ok if you are thinking first time to be fit and never join gym, then join gym first and some marshal art tutorials. Make first fit and get strengths on your self.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga