FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 32 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 13
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 4
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
Today at 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 08:53 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432454 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#430254 - 10/01/10 01:07 PM On/Off Back Pain
JKDGuy_1985 Offline

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Hi everyone

I've been having on/off problems with my lower back since last January. I've got a doctor's appointment next thursday for that issue as it's getting worst, however i'm a bit worried as to what this might be and the consequences it will have on my training and the sports I practice. Trying my best to describe what i'm experiencing :

- Lower back pain on the right when bending forward, pain is sharp and limits my range of motion greatly.
- Sometimes I get pain in the same region as well as deep burning sensation in the painful area. Sitting or lying down relieves it as well as ice.
- Random calf stiffness on my left leg
- "Shaking sensation" in my lower back when I go from lying down to a sitting position in bed.
- If I lean backward when standing, I hear a pop in my back (where it hurts) and it relieves the pain for a few minutes.
- I feel that "back popping" very often in the morning or late at night.

I had those issues on an on/off basis since January, so when I had it, I stopped training for a few days or train with it when it was tolerable, but i'm noticing that it keeps coming back worst everytime, and I keep loosing strength on all my lifts. I tried the RICE method as well but the effects were only temporary, with pain coming back within a few days.

For training I do mostly heavy squats/deadlift/bench press/clean and press/barbell rows (5X5) as well as heavy bag/speedbag/skip rope training for my cardio/martial arts.

2 weeks ago, i've decided to stop my weight lifting/martial arts training as the pain is becoming disabling, thinking that maybe my abs weren't strong enough, I started to do some crunches/sit ups/side bends, same exercices I was told to do and helped heal a minor scoliosis in 2003. On the day I do them, I feel a bit better, but after a day or 2, the pain comes back just as great if not worst.

The only exercise I can do with close to no back pain is skipping rope.

Any ideas on what this could be? Next thursday still feels like a long time to wait for the doctor, i'm very worried, I can't do my training or play sports the way I used to, i've lost as much as 50% of my strength in some lifts since January.

Thanks

#430255 - 10/01/10 01:34 PM Re: On/Off Back Pain [Re: JKDGuy_1985]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
If a pain switches 'on and off' then the smart money is on a ruptured or bulging disk applying pressure to a nerve, and thus creating the pain. When that pain radiates down one leg/buttock, there is every chance that the nerve in question is the sciatic nerve, though referred pain is possible from any nerves, 'sciatica' is the most common and probable condition.

The trouble is, as you have found, simply trying to ignore it and trying to tough it out merely makes things worse.

The idea of undertaking 5x5 deads and squats with a lumbar disk problem makes me queasy just thinking about it, and I am amazed you have only recently eased off on the lifts. A+ for willpower, but a Z- for caring for your body with that one.

This is not even close to being a diagnosis however - there are many MANY more possibilities that it could be, and there is nothing you can do but rest completely till you get a confirmed professional diagnosis.

From there, whatever the cause, you will be on the rehabilitation road. We all walk that path, sometimes several times in our lives, and it can be boring and frustrating, but the more you put into it, and the more you learn from your injury in regards to how to keep safe in your future training, the better you will heal and the quicker you will get back to doing what you love.

Most importantly, you have learned that ignoring an injury doesnt heal it, so in the future you wont let yourself get this bad again wink

#430256 - 10/01/10 01:49 PM Re: On/Off Back Pain [Re: Cord]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Agreed. Can't mask or work through actual PAIN; pain is the indicator there is a problem that needs to be dealt with and to limit or cease those movements/lifts.

We've all done it, thought we were manning up and all we needed to do was work through it. Sadly that just leads to more problems and can worsen things. Better to deal with it now and take a shorter lay off then if you don't take care of it and things get worse and have to take a longer lay off if able to do it again in the future.

After you will need to pay heed more and you may need to modify your workout. I have had to do this for several lifts due to injuries/surgeries.

I feel for you for sure though; hope things get better for you.

#430258 - 10/01/10 02:22 PM Re: On/Off Back Pain [Re: Dereck]
JKDGuy_1985 Offline

Thanks Cord/Dereck for your quick reply, I really appreciate. I know this is no final diagnosis, that's why i'm seeing the doctor next thursday.

I know I probably should of stopped when I first experienced pain but since it wasn't that bad originally and was on/off I figured I might as well continue, stopping my workouts is actually just as much pain mentally as it is physically hehe, but i'll guess i'm not the first guy to do this.

I'll give the doctor's diagnostic when I have the results.

#430259 - 10/01/10 02:31 PM Re: On/Off Back Pain [Re: JKDGuy_1985]
JKDGuy_1985 Offline

Cord... just thinking, if perhaps your diagnosis is right about the ruptured/bulging disk, how long of a recovery can I be looking at? I know this is very approximate, just want a rough idea.

Also, am I doing the right thing in stopping pretty much all my physical activity's? Obviously weight training is pretty much out of the question right now, but is there something I can do that won't put more pressure on my injury?

#430266 - 10/01/10 06:51 PM Re: On/Off Back Pain [Re: JKDGuy_1985]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Originally Posted By: JKDGuy_1985
Cord... just thinking, if perhaps your diagnosis is right about the ruptured/bulging disk, how long of a recovery can I be looking at? I know this is very approximate, just want a rough idea.

Hypotheticaly, a minor disk impingement will settle down, with appropriate rehabilitation exercises and modified daily movement, in anywhere from 3-8 weeks.

A severely damaged disk will take longer, and can in some cases require surgical intervention if the disk itself is ruptured beyond repair.

Quote:
Also, am I doing the right thing in stopping pretty much all my physical activity's? Obviously weight training is pretty much out of the question right now, but is there something I can do that won't put more pressure on my injury?

Dude, you are going to see a doc in 5 days time - you need to rest, its not the end of the world. Time to accept the situation mentaly, because no matter what the diagnosis, your rehab and training during the course of the repair of the injury is going to be radicaly different in intensity, volume and priority. You are probably looking at a period of a couple of months minimum where you will be devoted purely to recovery - no lifting for strength, no MA practice, just getting your spine to a point where it is able to allow you to do those things again.
Think of it like a sail-boat. You cant fix a sail boat at sea, it has to be brought into dry dock to make it sea worthy again. Ignore the wear and tear, and you are setting out on the ocean in a vessel likely to sink.
Time to come into dry dock for a bit wink

#430268 - 10/02/10 03:04 AM Re: On/Off Back Pain [Re: Cord]
Kimo2007 Offline
Veteran

Quote:
Dude, you are going to see a doc in 5 days time - you need to rest, its not the end of the world

Let me second that in a huge way. I've got 2 bulging disc's going on 20 years or so. Find out what your dealing with before you hurt yourself even worse.

Keep us posted, interested to hear what the diagnosis/treatment is.

#430320 - 10/06/10 06:41 AM Re: On/Off Back Pain [Re: Kimo2007]
JonathonSam Offline
Stranger

There have been a number of studies that show effective treatment of back pain by chiropractors. However, not all causes of back pain should be treated by a chiropractor. There are some conditions that should be identified and treated by an M.D. rather than a chiropractor.Most cases of back pain can be effectively treated by a chiropractor.

no ads

Edited by MattJ (10/06/10 11:30 AM)

#430323 - 10/06/10 08:45 AM Re: On/Off Back Pain [Re: JonathonSam]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Georgia, USA
Totally spam, but weird because this place is only about half an hour from me.

#430340 - 10/07/10 12:17 AM Re: On/Off Back Pain [Re: JoelM]
Kimo2007 Offline
Veteran

Yes spam and not a huge fan over all but I will say it was a chiropractor that handed me a flyer on a the benefits of swimming. I told him I can't imagine a more boring workout. He said, imagine letting them cut and you being in rehab for the rest of your life. that was 1992...been swimming ever since, still no surgery, can't recommend it more for back issues (2 bulging discs).

He was a damn good chiropractor, not all are so good. Like anything they are not the end all be all of back issues.

So, to the OP what were the MRI results?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga