FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AndyLA 5
Dobbersky 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
VDJ 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Recent Posts
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35572 Topics
432483 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#430130 - 09/24/10 07:23 PM Re: Pulse Rates [Re: Cord]
Kathryn Offline

Loc: Washington, DC
Dereck == you may want to ask about having your vitamin D status checked if it hasn't already.

#430137 - 09/25/10 06:13 AM Re: Pulse Rates [Re: Cord]
Shi Ronglang Offline
石榮狼

Loc: Samarobriva, Gallia
Originally Posted By: Cord
Breathing is the intake of air in to the lungs, where gaseous exchage occurs via the alveoli. [...] Believe what you want, but [sucking in more air by consciously using the muscles of your] belly [when] breathing does not give you a significantly higher volume of oxygenated blood.

But wouldn't sucking in more air (through conscious use of the belly or otherwise) dilatate the alveoli further, thus increasing the exchange surface and/or facilitating the said exchange by stretching the alveoli walls thinner?

What you say makes sense and you definitely know your stuff, but still I find it hard to believe that deeper breathing (breathing rates being equal) doesn't lead to a higher supply of oxygen...
A hidden child playing hide-and-seek will see his breathing rate increase as the seeker passes him by (strictly 'mental' stress condition, ready for a 'fight-or-flight' situation but not quite there yet), while someone whose body actually has a clear, physiological, immediate need for more oxygen, like an olympic sprinter for instance (actual physical stress conditions) will not only see his breathing rate but also his breathing 'depth' increase. The first one's breathing is fast but shallow and silent, while the second's is fast, powerful and noisy.
What would be the point of that, physiologically speaking, if increased breathing-depth doesn't provide the body with more oxygen?

#430138 - 09/25/10 08:46 AM Re: Pulse Rates [Re: Shi Ronglang]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Originally Posted By: Shi Ronglang
Originally Posted By: Cord
Breathing is the intake of air in to the lungs, where gaseous exchage occurs via the alveoli. [...] Believe what you want, but [sucking in more air by consciously using the muscles of your] belly [when] breathing does not give you a significantly higher volume of oxygenated blood.

But wouldn't sucking in more air (through conscious use of the belly or otherwise) dilatate the alveoli further, thus increasing the exchange surface and/or facilitating the said exchange by stretching the alveoli walls thinner?

Thats not how it works. The best way to think of alveoli is like tiny clusters of blackberries - thats kind of what they look like, all lumpy. This allows them to have a greater surface area. The lungs, if completely stretched out, have the same surface area as a tennis court, and that is due to the space saving structure of the alveoli. The air passes around the alveoli, which have membranes so thin, that they absorb the properties in the air and these go straight to the blood stream.

lung capacity, lung power, and lung efficiency, are seperate qualities, with seperate measurable tests. Someone with lung damage from smoke can breath as deep as they like, it will not change the damage to the alveoli, nor the resultant limitation in lung efficiency. I have also seen many with very strong peak flow readings fail badly on Vo2 max testing.

Quote:
What you say makes sense and you definitely know your stuff, but still I find it hard to believe that deeper breathing (breathing rates being equal) doesn't lead to a higher supply of oxygen...

'deep' is a relative term - again, a top level free diver, or opera tenor still doesnt use much over 1/3rd of the lungs potential expansion ability. So sure, increased volume of respiration will process more oxygen- its why you get 'out of breath' from exertion, but oxygen debt recovery difference from slower consciously deeper breathing, and more rapid natural breathing is swings and roundabouts situation.

Quote:
A hidden child playing hide-and-seek will see his breathing rate increase as the seeker passes him by (strictly 'mental' stress condition, ready for a 'fight-or-flight' situation but not quite there yet),

But why? This is the crux of the argument. That breathing increase, the pulse increase, the adrenaline 'jolt' as you say are all pre-emptive physiological changes. They prepare for exertion, they are not stimulated by exertion. As such, in this prepared state, deep breathing is not 'paying back' an oxygen debt - the blood is already highly oxygenated, and no exertion has occurred. The deep breathing is a message from one element of the emergency system to all others, that the threat is not real, or is over - ever heard the phrase 'to breath a sigh of relief'? Thats why.

Quote:
while someone whose body actually has a clear, physiological, immediate need for more oxygen, like an olympic sprinter for instance (actual physical stress conditions) will not only see his breathing rate but also his breathing 'depth' increase.

Probably a bad example, as sprinters breath very shallow, as their exertion is anaerobic and brief. Though this is a good time to introduce the impracticalities of 'belly breathing' to situations of gross motor function. A sprinter relies on a stable core through which to ensure that the least amount of power dissipates through yielding body mechanics. To truly 'belly breath' the abdominals must relax beyond a point where they can effectively stabilise dynamic physical movement. This is why traditional meditation takes place in a static position.

#430175 - 09/27/10 09:41 AM Re: Pulse Rates [Re: Cord]
duanew Offline

Loc: MN
I thought the discussion was about oxygen not urine. I disagree with you. If you choose to think of that as butting heads I suggest you breath deeply and relax. Hope you had a great weekend.

Duane

#430190 - 09/27/10 08:58 PM Re: Pulse Rates [Re: duanew]
Kathryn Offline

Loc: Washington, DC
At any rate, if you want to breathe more deeply and efficiency, practice exhaling more completely. It kicks in your hypoxic drive to assist in the inhale.

#433901 - 09/29/11 06:07 PM Re: Pulse Rates [Re: Kathryn]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Just looking back at this thread. Currently finding my job has moved to the most stress I have ever had and is getting worse. Have looked for way to alleviate this even discussing with my place of work that won't do anything even though they agree there are problems. In fact they want me to take on more roles that will increase my stress levels; not sure I am up for this and may be detrimental to my health. And sadly it is not something I can say no to.

I talked earlier about tightness in my chest; can't remember if I ever discussed what was found out. I can't remember the terminology but the valve that I have that releases acid is gone and when stressed it dumps too much and than this gives me the tightness; had nothing to do with my heart; phew. On medication for this that has helped up until this point where my stress levels are off the chart; which means my blood pressure is up there to.

My pulse rate is still very decent with typing right now and checking it is 52 bpm. Suspect when I go home my BP will be 150-160/80. Got to alleviate this stress to get back to normal rates. Life other than work is good; so when at rest there is no stress thankfully.

EDIT: IT is called a Hiatal Hernia and it is the diaphragm that is gone.

Edited by Dereck (09/29/11 06:21 PM)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga