FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 33 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AndyLA 5
Dobbersky 5
Ed_Morris 4
ergees 3
futsaowingchun 3
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35573 Topics
432484 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#374315 - 12/17/07 11:39 PM 2 good schools to start with [Re: Black_Ninja]
JAMJTX Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Fort Wayne, IN
Cesar,

You have to good schools reccomended to you here.

The problem with you looking for someone to teach you the "Musashi style" is that you are far more likely to find a mcdojo that claims to be teaching it than you will be to find someone who actually does. Just be careful and come back and ask qiestions before signing on with anyone who claims to be teaching the Musashi style.

If you want sword and related empty-hand, start with the Boston Samurai Arts. I only say that because the Boston Iaido web site does not list them as part of the curriculum.

#374316 - 12/18/07 11:02 AM Re: 2 good schools to start with [Re: JAMJTX]
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Denton, Tx, USA
If you are serious about studying Musashi's style, you should probably learn what it's called. The actual name of hte style is Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu. You'd also best be prepared for a great deal of travel and expense. There are only a handful of people outside of Japan who are studying the system, none of them in your neck of the woods.

You had also best be prepared to train with wooden weapons.

There is more information to be found at http://www.hyoho.com/Hyoho1.html

Now as Jim mentioned there are probably a great many local McDojos that will likely be happy to claim to teach whatever style you want for a not so modest fee. Be very careful who you choose to study under. Swords are dangerous weapons and can hurt you very badly. Quality instruction is paramount to learning to properly use them.

Now if you don't have the money or ability to travel to where the style you want is, you should probably re-evaluate your priorities and examine the oppurtunities that are available to you. There are some really nice oppurtunities available in your area. It would be a shame to pass them up because you want something that isn't available.

Edited by Charles Mahan (12/18/07 11:03 AM)

#374317 - 12/18/07 11:10 PM Re: 2 good schools to start with [Re: Charles Mahan]
Black_Ninja Offline

Loc: USA, MA
I will look two the two schools and see which one is local and easier for me to get two. I guess I will train in Musashi's Style sometime later in my life when I have more time. Right now I should learn the basics. I have read his book of 5 rings and plan on getting deeper into it. I would love to tree out both of those schools ASAP and see if I like them. Thanks everyone for your help, I am new here and I now know this is a great and caring community.

Thanks

#374318 - 01/26/08 10:38 AM Re: 2 good schools to start with [Re: Black_Ninja]
slix Offline

Loc: Boston, MA
Black you may want to check out Shim Gum Do as well.

It's a Korean Zen Sword art. After you've progressed to a certain point you can learn open palm and eventually dual sword but you'll have to reach 3rd Dan in Sword before you can start dual.

Check it out.

http://www.shimgumdo.org

The reason I chose to train in this school is as the founding master is still alive and teaches at the temple I have the opportunity to learn under the founder and all 1st generation masters which was what tipped the scales for me. Well that and location.:)

#429885 - 09/11/10 01:41 AM Re: Swords Legal In MA [Re: Black_Ninja]
ominous187 Offline
Stranger

its a lil late for this but it is illegal to own any swords in mass.i live in cambridge ma near boston. my house got raided today cuz my brother got busted for tagging. i didnt know they raided houses for that... anyways they took all my weapons which were hung up on the wall and in their sheaths or w/e they came with. clearly collectibles and i got them from bud k or in the mall in this town. lmao said i cant own any double edge weapons. last i checked katanas were single edged, oh did i mention they left my bong compound bow machete and the only double edged sword i owned which is a 2 hander they left and said i could keep it. they also took daggers throwing knives and other small weapons 2. so i wouldnt be bringing that outside if i was u.

#430004 - 09/16/10 08:13 PM Re: Florehnce, MA [Re: Black_Ninja]
Kathryn Offline

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: Black_Ninja
I am looking for a place that teaches Miyamoto Musashi's Dual Wield Sword Style, or something similar to it. I plan on buying a katana and wakazashi. I know how to handle them well because my friend took kenjutsu and taught me a little. I only feel comfortable with swords when they are not sharp.

I'm also all for hand to hand combat training as well. Thank you all for the suggesting I will check them out.

From what I understand, many quality dojos teach wakazashi, but it is considered more advanced instruction after you gain the ability to control one blade. Please do not attempt to learn any techniques by yourself or think that you can 'handle' it just because your friend taught you a little. It takes months to learn how to control a katana. It is so easy to cut yourself even on a training sword, and much practice is spent on resheathing. It is boring and repetitive and painful, but it is very necessary to break down the wrist muscles and rebuild them.

Kathryn

#430024 - 09/18/10 08:39 PM Re: Florehnce, MA [Re: Kathryn]
bcihak Offline

Loc: Illinois
If you are interested in learning how to fight with a sword, and especially a weapon in each hand I have to recommend the martial arts from the Phillipines. I am currently studying Dekiti Tirsia Sirada kali, a sword based Phillipino art. In class today we worked sword and dagger techniques, which you find throughout the FMAs, from DTS kali as well as seeing some sword and dagger technique from Kombatan escrima and some from Doce Pares escrima. You will also find that serrada escrima specializes in stick and dagger close quarter work. Most FMAs also cover using sticks in each hand or knives in each hand.
The neat thing about the FMA's is one, you can usually find some FMAs near you, and two, you start training with weapons, with application, from the first class. Fillipino martial arts begin and end with weapons training. From your very first class. To see if I can sell you on the merits of the FMAs as weapon arts, keep in mind, many teachers today have trained with teachers who fought the japanese during world war 2, or trained with people who fought the japanese during the war. What this means to someone interested in weapons training is that there is practical experience only one generation of teachers away from many of the people you might train with. By practical experience I mean men who fought the Japanese with Ginunting swords, bolo knives or other blades vs. Japanese swords and bayonets. Also, there are many older practitioners who grew up in the Phillipine Islands before world war 2 who actually used the art to survive in fights vs. other stick or blade wielding attackers. The stories are pretty interesting.
I have to agree with the other posters on the site, get quality instruction from an actual teacher. Training by yourself or from a video is not a viable option. You can write to me here and I can help you find a teacher near you if you are interested in fillipino sword and knife arts. Good luck, happy training.

Edited by bcihak (09/18/10 08:54 PM)

#430849 - 11/11/10 01:00 AM Re: Florehnce, MA [Re: bcihak]
kristinapetrico Offline

"If you are interested in learning how to fight with a sword, and especially a weapon in each hand I have to recommend the martial arts from the Phillipines."

I have to agree with you because Philippines has a great instructor on fighting and about swords.

#430998 - 11/29/10 08:05 AM Re: Florehnce, MA [Re: Black_Ninja]
AnnabelleR Offline
Stranger

Loc: Usa
Hello,
Swords aren't toys and shouldn't be treated as such. They are more like guns with a hair trigger, no safety and which can't be unloaded. The cops are going to treat them that way.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Charles Mahan, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga