FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 77 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#429260 - 08/21/10 08:10 AM Nathan's Body Weight Training
Nathan MacDonald Offline
Stranger

I have made a body weight training routine and want to run it by you guys first.

It consists of:

(In the morning I do some yoga then eat breakfast then I do the following)

Legs:
-Squats 10x2 rep
-Hindu squats 10x2 rep
-Lunges 10x2 rep
-Burpees 10x2 rep

Core:
-Plank 10x1 rep
-Side Plank 10x1 rep
-V-Sits 10x1 rep
-Bridge 10x1 rep
-Hip Lift 10x1 rep
-Seated Oblique Twists 10x1 rep
-Alternating Superman 10x1 rep

Pressing:
-Push Ups 10x2 rep
-Hindu Push Ups 10x2 rep
-Reverse Push Ups 10x2 rep
-Hand Stands 5x1 rep

Pulling:
-Pull Ups 5x3 rep
-Chin Ups 5x3 rep
-L Pull Ups 5x3 rep
-L Chin Ups 5x3 rep

Hands:
-Tiger Claws 5x2 rep
-Spider Ups 5x2 rep

After this I work on Martial Arts footwork, Ukemi, Stances, and Timing.

Then I work on some katas and techniques.

Them I warm and cool down, eat, and then go practice soccer.

I do this work out 3 times a week (Mon, Wed, Fri) and have a Martial Arts class on Tuesday.

I would appreciate some feedback and suggestions.

Here is some info on me:
Weight: 140 lbs
Height: Not sure, sorry.
Martial Arts: Beginner. (maybe 10th or 9th kyu. probably 10th, but I have no idea)
If you need any more just ask for it.

Thanks You,

-Nathan MacDonald

#429263 - 08/21/10 08:52 AM Re: Nathan's Body Weight Training [Re: Nathan MacDonald]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Why dont you know what grade you are in your martial art? confused Is it an official class, or is it you and some friends working through a DVD or whatever?

Come to think of it, what art do you study? that may have a bearing on the conditioning work you need to focus on.

Also, are you limiting yourself to bodyweight work because you have no access or money to use a gym, or because you think thats what martial artists should do?

#429264 - 08/21/10 10:03 AM Re: Nathan's Body Weight Training [Re: Cord]
Nathan MacDonald Offline
Stranger

Well I started only a couple months ago and haven't taken any tests or anything so I am amusing i'm 10th kyu but I don't really know how it works and I don't even know if there is tests. And yes, it is an official (but small...only 4 people regularly) class.

I study Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu.

I do bodyweight training because I have no money and there is no gym in my town anymore since it closed a little while ago. but, I also do it because it's just the way I always imaged it. Waking up with the sun to go and train in the woods...I dunno, there's just something that I like about that :P

#429272 - 08/21/10 06:57 PM Re: Nathan's Body Weight Training [Re: Nathan MacDonald]
Cord Offline
Prolific

I have some experience of Bujinkan, and can tell you that above all else, you will need gynmastic ability. Few arts rely so heavily on ukemi (rolling). It is also quite a 'soft' art (this relates to the principles of its biomechanics), and so like Aikido and daito ryu (arts taijutsu shares a common lineage with), many practitioners do not consider the western idea of muscular strength to be a vital component.

With no gym at your disposal, what you have listed seems balanced enough, but I would urge you to seek out a local gymnastic club/school team with which to train, or even a local free running/parkour group, as these skills will help in your Bujinkan training more than being able to do a lot of push-ups.

#429274 - 08/21/10 07:57 PM Re: Nathan's Body Weight Training [Re: Cord]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
I'd even not recommend heavy weight training at all even if you get the chance until you've gotten to be pretty good at the art as it tends to make people want to "muscle" through things in a psychological sense, and that's bad anyway but especially an art like that (as opposed to say freestyle wrestling). Mobility exercises (i.e. gymnastics, pilates, etc.) would definitely be more useful, as Cord was saying.
Calisthenic circuits are great for overal conditionuing imo (for example organize a variety of exercises in a circle, do say 30 seconds of each, running to the next- pushups, followed by pull ups, followed by crunches, followed by jump squats, followed by paralell bar dips. 30 seconds each station going through as many times as you can). `
Work on handstand pushups too, those are phenomenal for a lot more than just building your shoulders.

Edited by Stormdragon (08/21/10 07:58 PM)
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#429287 - 08/22/10 07:03 PM Re: Nathan's Body Weight Training [Re: Stormdragon]
Kathryn Offline

Loc: Washington, DC
Nathan:

I am totally impressed that you do yoga before all that! However, a recent study found that doing extensive stretching just prior to other athletic work, it will weaken the muscles and lessen performance.

Perhaps if you separated the yoga for afternoon or a seperate day you would develop faster on the strength work.

#429288 - 08/22/10 09:34 PM Re: Nathan's Body Weight Training [Re: Kathryn]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
Maybe do yoga for a cool down.
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#429294 - 08/23/10 01:03 AM Re: Nathan's Body Weight Training [Re: Kathryn]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Good point Katherine - developmental stretching (including yoga) shuts down the muscles synaptic pathways and makes contraction less complete and efficient. For this reason, warm ups should be progressive but always dynamic, not passive. Stretching is a facet of exercise deserving of its own place in a weekly routine, not merely seen as a 'bookend' to 'proper' exercise.

#429303 - 08/23/10 08:19 AM Re: Nathan's Body Weight Training [Re: Cord]
Nathan MacDonald Offline
Stranger

Would it be fine if I did yoga and then just waited at least an hour and then do a proper warm-up and my workout?

#429306 - 08/23/10 09:09 AM Re: Nathan's Body Weight Training [Re: Nathan MacDonald]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Not really. You could do it the other way around.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga