FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 58 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
cxt 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#424170 - 12/28/09 09:27 PM Re: Is it practical for the street? [Re: mukashimantis]
dongdwaeji Offline

Without contact sparring, I'd say most Ma's are innefective.

Nothing else could come close to preparing you for the adrenaline shock of a real fight, confidence in the power of your striking, confidence and effectiveness in your defenses and both of those go even more so for the more intricate moves in JJ, AKD, HKD etc as no one is just going to stand still and stop punching / kicking you as you try and put your wrist lock or whatever on them.

Also you need to get used to the feel of what and how it is like to attack an apponant and attempt to get the better of them.

#424174 - 12/29/09 07:42 AM Re: Is it practical for the street? [Re: dongdwaeji]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote:

Couldn't agree more. Without resistance, most martial arts training is worthless.

#424191 - 12/30/09 06:19 AM Re: Is it practical for the street? [Re: MattJ]
Kathryn Offline

Loc: Washington, DC
I've always thought that the effectiveness of the studio techniques may depend partly on the element of surprise.

If, for instance, you were at a political rally and someone next to you pulled a gun and pointed it at the stage, he's not paying attention to you at all. Any MA moves you choose may be highly effective in taking him down quickly. (This, BTW, is why the Secret Service trains in Aikido.)

If, on the other hand, you are approached on the street by an attacker, you have no such advantage and will probably have to resort to less elegant measures.

#424193 - 12/30/09 10:02 AM Re: Is it practical for the street? [Re: Kathryn]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
That's a fair, point, Kathryn. I agree that the element of surprise can amke anything more effective, especially if you are pre-empting the opponent.

I was referring more to situations where the opponent is focused on and motivated against you.

#424200 - 12/31/09 09:54 AM Re: Is it practical for the street? [Re: Kahless]
von1 Offline

Originally Posted By: Kahless
So then Japanese Jujutsu isn't very practical for street defense? I really dont want to sink time and money into something that is a lot of fancy fluff.

Just last week a friend of mine who has a brown belt in karate and also does tae kwon do, told me that my weight training doesn't make any difference in a fight. I disagreed of course and argues that because I can deadlift 405 lbs., I can basically pick you up and throw you into a wall. So we went to his basement where he has some practice mats, and all kinds of other weird things that I did not know what they were, and sparred. He tried doing a few kicks which I could see a mile away and had no trouble blocking (I have a little boxing experience), and then I rushed him and grabbed a hiold of his waist, picked him up on my shoulders and slammed him into the ground. It knocked the wind out of him and he couldn't even talk. Now I know that if I had have tried that to a very well trained fighter in an EFFECTIVE art, I would have had my ass handed to me probably, but it seems to me that if I knew somehting like jujitsu, I would be even deadlier at close range.

Just a couple of thoughts,

First,
The fact that you could see your friend’s kicks a mile away raises some questions as to just how good your friend really is.

Second,
One should really find this disturbing, the fact that your friend could not avoid you grabbing and affectively holding his wrists should raise some flags, even many untrained fighters can avoid this through instinctive moves.

Lastly,
How seriously you two were willing to take this experiment would also determine what your friend would / could do to avoid you from effectively rushing him and using your size and strength advantage. There are many techniques that could have been applied that you may not have been able to recover from, at least not fast enough before another one was applied.

All I am trying to say is that with your size and strength you do have a considerable advantage over most persons walking this earth. You are already the average Joes worst nightmare. However, be careful in your assessment of that advantage, there are many ways that a well trained person could have minimized or even take away that advantage and they would not be pretty or painless, I just do not think that your friend may be the correct person to judge this by.

Good luck with your training.

#424256 - 01/04/10 08:01 AM Re: Is it practical for the street? [Re: dongdwaeji]
Ninja Master Offline
In the shadows awaiting...
Stranger

Originally Posted By: dongdwaeji

Nothing else could come close to preparing you for the adrenaline shock of a real fight, confidence in the power of your striking, confidence and effectiveness in your defenses and both of those go even more so for the more intricate moves in JJ, AKD, HKD etc as no one is just going to stand still and stop punching / kicking you as you try and put your wrist lock or whatever on them.

Also you need to get used to the feel of what and how it is like to attack an apponant and attempt to get the better of them.
Yeah. But I think it's really only important for beginners. I know most professional sportsmen do a lot of sparring, but I really can't be fu**ed...

When you first start learning MA, you need to spar to understand what the pressure and speed of a real fight may be like, and to display to yourself how little time you have to do all this sh*t you've learned. But after a couple of years of your style, to continue sparring really is personal preferance, I think.

Frankly, I'm sick of getting injuries and having to take time off training due to stupid training partners. It just isn't worth it anymore. I've got my reaction and tricks nailed, and don't need to practice them sparring anymore. All I really need to do now is maintain my fitness and power training bags and pads and exercises.

#424403 - 01/16/10 01:42 PM Re: Is it practical for the street? [Re: Ninja Master]
relentlesstiger Offline
Stranger

Any martial art can prove to be effective in a street encounter. It really depends on several factors :
1. Has the student engaged in practical sparring? Contact is vital. You don't want the 1st time you have to absorb a punch to be on the street. There is a mental and physical adjustment you must make to contact.
2. Have you learned, applied, and repeatedly drilled the target areas that are available most frequently and are you mentally ready to damage someone? If you cannot locate a target under duress and strike with power then what you practice in the school is of little real world value.
3. Speaking of duress - have you practiced what you've learned under pressure. Repeating technique is fantastic for muscle memory, but can you execute at night, in a crowded room, on a slick surface, etc? Introducing scenario based stress training is truly an important proving ground for your style's effectiveness on the street.
4. Are you drilling and retaining the most important basics? Trying to recall complicated kata and multi step patterns in the heat of battle is unlikely for most people. Have you eliminated the flowery stuff from your self defense training and concentrated on the nuts and bolts of the combat portion of your style? Most systems, even very traditional ones vary greatly in sparring and application from training.
Thanks.

#427424 - 05/27/10 07:20 PM Re: Is it practical for the street? [Re: Neko456]
Commander_Nitro Offline

Jujitsu retains only the very best martial art techniques that have been proven to work in real combat situations! Read more at http://www.alljujitsu.com

#427468 - 06/01/10 02:03 AM Re: Is it practical for the street? [Re: Neko456]
Commander_Nitro Offline

Ju-jitsu is a "complete" martial art that includes all of the elements of Karate (striking), Judo (throws and grappling), Aikido (joint locks), and so much more. Because of this, jujitsu is more easily adapted for modern street situations than any other style of martial art. In other words, jujitsu provide you with more tools to work with and thus considered to be the world’s most powerful tools for self-defense.

#427841 - 06/20/10 04:26 AM Re: Is it practical for the street? [Re: Neko456]
John Steczko Offline
Stranger

If you're good at ju jutsu then you will be able to defend yourself.

Someone who is good at mmma will defend himself.

Someone else who is good at kung fu can defend himself.

My point is, that the technique is not everything. Very much depends on the person who is practicing. If he is good at what he is doing, then he is going to defend himself. Strength, weight, speed and stamina are important as well.

John Steczko

http://karatesoul.com

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki, Taison 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga