FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 43 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#428774 - 08/01/10 08:33 PM Looking for a good dojo in Northern Virginia
Achilles46 Offline
Stranger

Loc: Florida
Sending a shoutout to the forum. My job is relocating me from Central Florida to Northern Virginia (Quantico area) and I'm searching for a new dojo home.

I've studied Matsubayashi-Ryu for a little over four years and really disappointed that I'm having to leave my current dojo (very traditional, but also very Christian atmosphere). I've done some preliminary searches and found no dojos in NoVa that teach any of the Okinawan styles.

I'm willing to look at other styles, its more about the dojo atmosphere to me than the style.

Thanks.

#428798 - 08/02/10 01:41 PM Re: Looking for a good dojo in Northern Virginia [Re: Achilles46]
Kathryn Offline

Loc: Washington, DC
The Washington, DC, metro area is very fortunate to have leading teachers in almost any art you could want. You would be in proximity to the city of DC and southern Maryland in addition to Northern Virginia, so expanding your search may locate the Okinawan style you desire. A lot of Marines at Quantico have trained while stationed in Okinawa, so you may want to ask around at the base. They also have a thriving MMA culture there.

With regard to other Japanese styles -- Aikido is a very prominent art in the area because it was Mitsugi Saotome's first stop after leaving Japan. He founded the still-thriving Ueshiba School located in Takoma Park, Maryland. There is also an Okinawan-style aikido school located in Woodley Park, DC, of which I cannot remember the name but was impressed with the teacher.

Or, if you have an interest in samurai weaponry, there is the Washington Area Budokai, located near Old Town Alexandria in Virginia.

Quite honestly, I haven't heard one bad thing about any Japanese style dojo in the area. I would recommend visiting several and finding out what you like.

Hope this helps, and maybe we'll run into each other sometime!

Kathryn

#428832 - 08/04/10 05:42 AM Re: Looking for a good dojo in Northern Virginia [Re: Achilles46]
JasonM Offline
Professional Poster

Hey,

I am in that area and about a few minutes south of Quantico.

THere are a lot of different styles and schools. It would depend on how far you want to travel. I can tell you if you are at Quantico going to DC and/or MD is a drive that sucks ballz. So, it will depend on how much u want to commute and where you end up living.

Here is a school I had checked out a few years ago and they aren't that far from Quantico.

http://www.dojolocator.com/Niagara-Shobukan-Marshall-Arts/

J

#428846 - 08/04/10 02:35 PM Re: Looking for a good dojo in Northern Virginia [Re: Achilles46]
nahate Offline

Loc: No VA suburbs of Wash DC
There is a group of very traditional Okinawan Goju Ryu practitioners that train regularly in Wash DC and Alexandria, VA. For information about the system and training google Kimo Wall (It's his organizaton) for his web site and visit the BostonKodokan site. Send me a pm and I'll help you get in touch with the group.

#430777 - 11/01/10 10:19 PM Re: Looking for a good dojo in Northern Virginia [Re: nahate]
imperial_crane Offline

Loc: Maryland, USA
Hi Achilles,

How did your search go? I teach Matsumura Seito Shorin Ryu in the Baltimore/BWI area. I also know some connections in the DC area.

Paul

#436000 - 09/12/13 10:49 PM Re: Looking for a good dojo in Northern Virginia [Re: Achilles46]
MrFrank345 Offline

Loc: Alexandria, Va
Look at Willem Reeder's System Liu Seong Kung Fu Chuan Fa/Silat. I have been taking a few classes and it is very challenging and friendly/open to other styles.

#436016 - 09/18/13 09:37 AM Re: Looking for a good dojo in Northern Virginia [Re: Achilles46]
Dobbersky Offline
Peace Works!!!!
Enthusiast

Loc: Manchester United Kingdom
I think you should look at other Karate styles that emcompass the Okinawan style you studied.

I know there's a few Ke(n)mpo styles that follow the same lineage as your original style and practice the same kata etc.

So look at Kempo Karate as oposed to Kempo Jujitsu

Ken

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga