FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 37 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
AndyLA 3
futsaowingchun 2
Zombie Zero 2
Matakiant 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Eugue Ryu
by
03/27/07 12:06 AM
Recent Posts
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Matakiant
09/18/14 07:11 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432495 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#428765 - 08/01/10 11:37 AM Rise in US Children taking Krav Maga Classes
Kathryn Offline

Loc: Washington, DC
The New York Times has an article today featuring Krav Maga instructor Jamie Arute, who teaches children the martial art of Krav Maga as self-defense. The article talks about what groups take Krav Maga in the US, and the upward trend of children taking on the art.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/01/fashion/01krav.html?hp

I actually never knew that children were taught this art, and was impressed by Mr. Arutes way of teaching them to strike and then run. It keeps the violent aspects in perspective for the children.

Kathryn

#428767 - 08/01/10 12:32 PM Re: Rise in US Children taking Krav Maga Classes [Re: Kathryn]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

It's interesting to see that they teach KM to children. I was slightly uneasy about reading an 10 year old talking about popping someones ear drum though. I mean it mentions the instructor warns the kids not to do this stuff at home, but I've heard a lot of stories (and one injury) from parents whose kids did martial arts, started goofing around or getting in to a row over something stupid and they use what they did in class.

#428777 - 08/01/10 11:38 PM Re: Rise in US Children taking Krav Maga Classes [Re: Prizewriter]
Mark Jordan Offline

Loc: Burbank, California
Teaching Krav Maga and other form of self-defense for that matter teaches self-confidence and self-esteem. It builds character.
Since KM is based on repetition, children will see how a task even how difficult it may be at first can be learned through repeated efforts and dedication. This, I think, is the reason why this art has become popular to parents.

#428778 - 08/02/10 12:23 AM Re: Rise in US Children taking Krav Maga Classes [Re: Mark Jordan]
TaekwonDoFan Offline

How practical is it to pop someone's ear drums in a fight? Not very. And many street fighters know that a groin kick would not work in a fight, because the guy's testosterone factor would overwhelm any such blow, at least temporarily. IOW, I'm not impressed, with all due respect to the martial artists.

#428793 - 08/02/10 09:43 AM Re: Rise in US Children taking Krav Maga Classes [Re: TaekwonDoFan]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
PW, I had similar reservations about teaching Parker kenpo to children. That style is (IMHO) far too violent for kids, yet it is very commonly taught. Grappling stuff seems much more age-appropriate to me.

#428799 - 08/02/10 01:50 PM Re: Rise in US Children taking Krav Maga Classes [Re: TaekwonDoFan]
Kathryn Offline

Originally Posted By: TaekwonDoFan
How practical is it to pop someone's ear drums in a fight? Not very. And many street fighters know that a groin kick would not work in a fight, because the guy's testosterone factor would overwhelm any such blow, at least temporarily. IOW, I'm not impressed, with all due respect to the martial artists.

I think they may be counting on the 'surprise' factor, which is what works in favor of women's self defense as well. The creep picks a potential victim that he thinks is vulnerable, and suddenly there's a fight. The strength of the blows may not matter so much as the startling effect that would give the potential victim time to run out of there.

Kathryn

#428803 - 08/02/10 04:01 PM Re: Rise in US Children taking Krav Maga Classes [Re: Kathryn]
TaekwonDoFan Offline

That's a good point, Kathryn, but then, if the surprise factor is the key, then ANY technique is acceptable, right or wrong, good or bad.

And I don't think it's that easy to pop a guy's ear drums and leave - that requires two cupped hands. It would be better to use one hand to strike his face and then run - and, in martial arts, the simpler the technique, the better.

#428807 - 08/02/10 08:23 PM Re: Rise in US Children taking Krav Maga Classes [Re: TaekwonDoFan]
Kathryn Offline

Originally Posted By: TaekwonDoFan
That's a good point, Kathryn, but then, if the surprise factor is the key, then ANY technique is acceptable, right or wrong, good or bad.

And I don't think it's that easy to pop a guy's ear drums and leave - that requires two cupped hands. It would be better to use one hand to strike his face and then run - and, in martial arts, the simpler the technique, the better.

I think it would work in a common scenario -- the child and the adult are facing each other, and the adult is bent down with his face over the child.

Kathryn

#428816 - 08/03/10 06:42 AM Re: Rise in US Children taking Krav Maga Classes [Re: Kathryn]
ninpopo Offline

Loc: Africa *drums starts playing i...
Well of course theres two sides of teh coin here, of course Krav maga is a killing style, not self defense really, and personally i feel that kids should not know such a malicious art, I know kids, and they will do it on each other and end up taking out someones eye, or as mentioned bursting the eardrum.

For adults its easy to make up attack techniques if the situation calls for it (iow hitting the ear), but kids, when playing around do EXACTLY as they were taught in class, so that will tend to be dangerous to other kids.

But the other side of the argument of course stands that in fuedal japan and modern day africa, kids are/were taught to kill from a very young age already, so when it comes to that, its easy and they become very effective in what they do. Honestly I dont like that idea, kids killing, or learning how to, because theyre not nearly mature enough to have access such things. But of course warlords wants to see results in military tactics, they dont care about how many lives they destroy.

The fact stays, the MODERN day USA, the kids are NOT involved in a war or guerilla warfare, so theres no need to teach them a killing style.

I for one oppose such methods.

#428823 - 08/03/10 11:21 AM Re: Rise in US Children taking Krav Maga Classes [Re: ninpopo]
Kathryn Offline

Originally Posted By: ninpopo
But the other side of the argument of course stands that in fuedal japan and modern day africa, kids are/were taught to kill from a very young age already, so when it comes to that, its easy and they become very effective in what they do. Honestly I dont like that idea, kids killing, or learning how to, because theyre not nearly mature enough to have access such things. But of course warlords wants to see results in military tactics, they dont care about how many lives they destroy.

Please don't blame the warlords-- villages faced rampant banditry as well. It is my understanding that at the age of five in feudal Japan, a male child would be given a wooden sword, and a female child would possibly be given a self-defense tanto to wear in her kimono. This was done to provide the children with a graduated path of awareness of the dangerous realities of life back then. Every able-bodied child by the age of 13 was ready to help defend the village, and hopefully had the mental tools to deal with that reality.

It's great that we don't have to teach our children such things nowadays, but I wonder if we haven't gone too far in the direction of completely shielding them from it. I think every human being should be able to defend themselves.

Kathryn

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga