FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 56 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 3
THEFOREVERMAN 3
royal 2
MattJ 2
SoulJah22 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
Yesterday at 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
Yesterday at 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#428087 - 07/03/10 03:36 AM Re: Makiwara or no Makiwara [Re: MattJ]
Shizen Offline

Good Morning and sorry for the delay in replying.

It is a subjective thing. I prefer the makiwara, but would not say training without one prevents you from progressing and learning. Like you, I did not come to makiwara training until after I began advanced training. Now I use both a 100lb leather bag and a traditional makiwara, and feel the makiwara training has given me a better insight into the kind of striking I feel is closest to "one punch, one life". Speaking personally, it has helped me find new ground within my technique and develop a more focussed fighting spirit.

I believe martial artist who have not tried makiwara or discount it without really being open to new learning (esp from an old or traditional source) would benefit from using it under proper instruction. However, not using one does not preclude one from developing into a good matial artist who can generate powerful techniques, as you demonstrate in your video.

In terms of injury, you are right that the makiwara is "riskier" in terms of injury to the hand. But I advocate careful, progressive training and have never suffered any serious injury nor have any chronic symptoms after years of practice.

Best Wishes.

#428088 - 07/03/10 04:13 AM Re: Makiwara or no Makiwara [Re: Ronin1966]
Shizen Offline

Jeff, you raise interesting points. Apologies for any lack of clarity or detail.. I wish I had more time.

On the subject of age, I think it is down to the individual. I personally have stopped breaking things with my head now that I am 40! But I continue with makiwara training. I think there may be a general misconception that only beating your hands to a bloody pulp will do, especially with the younger, gung-ho set. Simply pressing the fist into the makiwara and "finding your stance" is beneficial. I would not want to see a 50-year old man hitting a makiwara to the point of seriously brusing his knuckles or breaking the skin. When I was a young man of 20 my mother started karate training for fun and self-defense (at the age of 58) and she enjoyed experimenting with the makiwara and commented that while she would not want to hit it every day, she couldn't "push it around" like the bag - her comments, for what they may be worth..

Re the spring-back action of a makiwara vs the bag, I believe the makiwara forces you to find the most efficient method of shock-transfer. For me, the principle of "for every action there is an opposite and equal reaction" is more immeadiately apparant in the makiwara than the heavy bag. If you strike with full power, the makiwara "wants" to instantly transfer the shock back into your hand, arm and body and into the ground. This teaches correct posture and stance. I find a bag absorbs and to some degree dissipates striking energy because it swings away and the shock is distributed from the point of contact into the large volume of the bag. While this is like hitting a human body, the makiwara forces you to cope with harder, instant "feedback", and can force a practioner to think more about the underlying physical principles. My opinion of course, and I do not mean to cause offense to anyone who advocate bag training over makiwara, but I do feel strongly about this.

I want to clearly state this is my best attempt at an objective explanation, but I am sure the makiwara is not for everyone. But I would urge anyone who trains to find out for themselves, as there is no substitute for experience!

Best Wishes.

#428089 - 07/03/10 04:16 AM Re: Makiwara or no Makiwara [Re: Ronin1966]
Shizen Offline

Dear Jeff and Kathryn, please see my recent comments on the principle of "shock transfer".

Regards

Shizen

#428181 - 07/08/10 10:41 AM Re: Makiwara or no Makiwara [Re: MattJ]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: East Coast, United States
Hello Matt:

Thanks for taking part!

What's your take re: makiwari and "age"? Any idea what the thinking might be? SOme point it isn't a recommended activity?

What about the healing ointments and balms of said training? The testosterone <sp.?> young, tough guy aspect got brought over, but did the mandatory healing part of that training come too?

Jeff

#428182 - 07/08/10 10:56 AM Re: Makiwara or no Makiwara [Re: Shizen]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: East Coast, United States
Hello Shizen:

We appreciate your very patient efforts, as always thank you for taking part!

What is your take re: the necessary healing aspect of this particular training? Should we even start it, if that part is non-existant, missing from the curriciliun (ie only the tough guy stuff was kept not the healing formulas for it)?

I wish I had read the new posts before responding directly to Matt's, given your mothers experience, what is your take re: the age question? There a point, an age its openly contra-indicated, that one should not start for the first time... IYE?

Growth plates and so forth forbid makiwara to children. Any idea how you determine a starting age solely becase of their growing, soft bones where even the potential, a whisper of/for perminant damage removes it from their training?

Sincerely.
Jeff

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga