FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 30 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
AndyLA 3
Zombie Zero 2
Matakiant 2
futsaowingchun 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Eugue Ryu
by
03/27/07 12:06 AM
Recent Posts
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Matakiant
09/18/14 07:11 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432495 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#428057 - 07/02/10 10:00 AM TOP 10 Martial Arts & Fighting Systems
sstefan Offline

Here is my top 10 "pure" martial arts and fighting systems:

10.Kickboxing
9.Aikido
8.Combat Sambo
7.Jiu Jitsu
6.Muay Thai (old style)
5.Savate (the old street fighting method)
4.Taijutsu (one of ninjutsu arts)
3.Pencak Silat
2.Krav Maga
1.Systema (also known as Spetsnaz Systema, because
is a military combat system, very effective in all areas
of combat)

What is your TOP 10?

#428060 - 07/02/10 04:02 PM Re: TOP 10 Martial Arts & Fighting Systems [Re: sstefan]
VDJ Offline
Veteran

Please explain how Kickboxing is "pure"? Muay Thai would be the closest thing to it as a "pure" art. The American version is hodge podge combining boxing with any art that uses kicks.

VDJ

#428062 - 07/02/10 04:10 PM Re: TOP 10 Martial Arts & Fighting Systems [Re: VDJ]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Good point, Vince. Krav, Sambo and Systema are not "pure" systems, either. I assume he means our 10 favorite martial arts? Things I have studied and/or have interest in would be:

* Parker kenpo

* Wing Chun

* Tae Kwon Do

* Aikido

* Brazilian Jujitsu/MMA

* Muay Thai

* Ashihara

* Judo

* Wrestling

* Boxing

#428064 - 07/02/10 04:31 PM Re: TOP 10 Martial Arts & Fighting Systems [Re: VDJ]
MastaFighta Offline

Loc: United States
Originally Posted By: VDJ
The American version is hodge podge combining boxing with any art that uses kicks.

Kickboxing is a combination of boxing and karate.

Anyway, in no particular order:

1. Judo
2. Boxing
3. Sambo
4. Sanshou
5. Kickboxing
6. Shuai jiao
7. Freestyle wrestling
8. Savate
9. Ashihara karate
10. Shodokan/Tomiki aikido

#428068 - 07/02/10 07:15 PM Re: TOP 10 Martial Arts & Fighting Systems [Re: MastaFighta]
VDJ Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: MastaFighta
The American version is hodge podge combining boxing with any art that uses kicks.

Kickboxing is a combination of boxing and karate.

Anyway, in no particular order:

1. Judo
2. Boxing
3. Sambo
4. Sanshou
5. Kickboxing
6. Shuai jiao
7. Freestyle wrestling
8. Savate
9. Ashihara karate
10. Shodokan/Tomiki aikido

Again, not accurate as I have been in MULTIPLE scools that competed in it and the kicking art(s) combined with boxing were very diverse. Starting with TKD,Savate, Kyokushin, Shoryn Ryu and Shodokan (BTW Karate is very broad, just as you have listed them above in various styles).

VDJ

#428077 - 07/02/10 09:24 PM Re: TOP 10 Martial Arts & Fighting Systems [Re: VDJ]
chaoscombat Offline
Law Enforcement Survivalist
Stranger

Loc: East, TX
With a little reasearch you will find that there are but a few "pure" systems. Just because it has a traditional name does not insure a pure system.

All purity means is that it is still taught by the same principles that the original founder used, and sometimes by the founder himself. Each successor in the system changes what they dislike and keeps what they like.

With that in mind, if you find a system that is taught by the founder or the founders ancestor/s you will find about as close to a pure system as you can get.

With that said I dont believe I have 10, but here are my choices based on real combat effectivness and proven results.

In order:
1. Yanagi Ryu Aiki Bugei taught by Soke Don Angier
2. System of strategy by James Williams
4. Take Seiken Bujutsu taught by Sensei Colman Morris
5. Thunder Ranch Combat Pistol/Carbine course
6. U.S. Training Center HRSO Defensive Carbine for Operators

....After all, isnt firearms training a martial art as well...

Edited by chaoscombat (07/02/10 09:36 PM)

#428078 - 07/02/10 10:05 PM Re: TOP 10 Martial Arts & Fighting Systems [Re: chaoscombat]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
Mine?

5. Jeet Kune Do concepts
4. Full Contact Karate
3. Judo
2. Wrestling
1. CMD Boxing

Chaoscombat,
Yes, firearms is as much of Martial Art training is as swords and other weaponry are also MA. If we had guns back in the heyday of China, they'd seriously develop Gun-Fu by now.

-Donnie out

#428090 - 07/03/10 04:52 AM Re: TOP 10 Martial Arts & Fighting Systems [Re: VDJ]
sstefan Offline

Please explain how Kickboxing is "pure"? Muay Thai would be the closest thing to it as a "pure" art. The American version is hodge podge combining boxing with any art that uses kicks.

I said that is "pure" because is not Mixed Martial Arts. In MMA is used Kickboxing or Muay Thai combined with other martial arts like wrestling and BJJ.
And anyway Kickboxing was created in Japan, is not a combination between martial arts.

#428094 - 07/03/10 09:45 AM Re: TOP 10 Martial Arts & Fighting Systems [Re: sstefan]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
I'd be interested to know WHY people choose these arts. What is it that attracts/impresses you?

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#428096 - 07/03/10 10:13 AM Re: TOP 10 Martial Arts & Fighting Systems [Re: sstefan]
VDJ Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: sstefan

I said that is "pure" because is not Mixed Martial Arts. In MMA is used Kickboxing or Muay Thai combined with other martial arts like wrestling and BJJ.
And anyway Kickboxing was created in Japan, is not a combination between martial arts.

A History of Kickboxing
By: Maeve Rich
The history of kickboxing differs depending on the area of origin you're talking about. Kickboxing hasn't been around for too long altogether, making it relatively easy to trace its roots. Although it is clear that a form of kickboxing originated in Japan, some people believe that this form of kickboxing is different from today's kickboxing, which they say started in the U.S.

Many believe that kickboxing developed in Japan. According to these people, kickboxing is a derivative of several martial arts, most notably one known as Muay Thai. In the late 1950s, karate expert Osamu Noguchi set about designing a form of karate that would allow opponents to hit one another. He, along with a fighter by the name of Kenji Kurosaki developed kickboxing after watching three of Noguchi's Muay Thai fighters lose to Japan's karate fighters. The original name for what would later become kickboxing was karate-boxing.

Those who believe the history of kickboxing begins in the U.S. claim that the sport developed years later, in the 1970s. American karate fighters were looking for a form of martial arts that would allow full contact. At first, the risk of serious injury in kickboxing led to protests about the new sport. Rules were updated to make kickboxing safer and protective gear became a part of the sport.

It was around this time that the Kickboxing Association was founded in Japan. The sport was broadcast on television and enjoyed popularity for awhile. The attention people paid to kickboxing waned when kickboxer Tadashi Sawamura retired, and it remained on the back burner of sports until the 1990s.

Today, kickboxing has made a return. It has spread across the world, becoming popular in a large number of countries outside of Japan and the U.S. Aerobic kickboxing, inspired by the martial art, has become a fitness craze in the U.S. as well as other countries.

According to the article above it most certainly IS a comniation of MA's. Of course there are others that say the Original kickboxing is Muay Thai and others that say Chinese Boxing (Kung Fu) is the original kickboxing. I think it is clear though that it is indeed a form of MMA as is Jeet Kune Do.

VDJ

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga