FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 22 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#427968 - 06/27/10 10:30 AM Striking/punching bag technique.
MAGon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Miami, Fl.
Not ever having boxed, I learned to hit the speed/punching bag by watching other Karate-kas. The people I learned from would hit the bag with almost unmodified Karate punches, thrown from a guard covering the head down to the rib cage. The only differences was that these would be "lighter", with no all- out muscle contraction and force, as well as somewhat shortened. This made sense to me, in that if the purpose of the exercise is to speed up a particular movement, one needs to practice that very same movement repeatedly and at speed.
Now, watching footage of boxers in training, the way they "punch" the bag leaves me scratching my head. What I've repeatedly seen boxers do is raise their elbows to where they're practically level with their fists, then stike the bag in what I can only describe as a sort of horizontal hammer fist (tetsui). Also, the striking point seems to the edge of the fist closer to the pinky knuckle, instead of the knuckles themselves.
So here's my question: Is there some counter-intuitive reason why the way boxers do it is more effective in developing hand speed for real world strikes than just hitting the darn bag the way you'd hit an opponent in the first place? confused

#427969 - 06/27/10 11:00 AM Re: Striking/punching bag technique. [Re: MAGon]
sstefan Offline

Conditioning, conditioning and again conditioning. Another reason is that they focus only on punching techniques and train them all day. They don't waist the time punching air by doing katas.

#427970 - 06/27/10 11:35 AM Re: Striking/punching bag technique. [Re: sstefan]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Miguel, I'm assuming you're talking about how boxers hit the speed bag? Yeah, I have no idea about that, either. I've heard it's more of a shoulder conditioning exercise than anything directly related to punching technique, but I don't really see the point, myself.

Plyometric rebounding (ie; retracting strikes quickly off the target) seems to have helped my speed a lot.

I don't consider speed-bag training very useful.

#427972 - 06/27/10 12:11 PM Re: Striking/punching bag technique. [Re: MattJ]
MAGon Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: MattJ
Miguel, I'm assuming you're talking about how boxers hit the speed bag?

Yup, exactly.

I've heard it's more of a shoulder conditioning exercise than anything directly related to punching technique,...

Huh???

...but I don't really see the point, myself.

If so, I'd also be of the opinion that it's a waste of time. There are much better ways to condition the shoulders, and IMO it does nothing useful for one's punching.

In isolation, perhaps. Combined with other bag work (double-ended bag, heavy bag) IMO it's very good indeed in developing speed and coordination, PROVIDED you're punching in a rational manner.

#427974 - 06/27/10 12:20 PM Re: Striking/punching bag technique. [Re: sstefan]
MAGon Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: sstefan
Conditioning, conditioning and again conditioning. Another reason is that they focus only on punching techniques and train them all day. They don't waist the time punching air by doing katas.

Yeah, but what's the point of that particular method? There are better ways of conditioning than that.
As to kata, I don't think much of them either (The traditional ones, that is. Enshin-ryu's and the ones you see in some Ashihara dojos are a different kettle of fish), so you get no argument from me. But as to punching air, boxers do quite a bit of (And swear by) shadow boxing. That's air punching at it's finest!

#427980 - 06/27/10 01:03 PM Re: Striking/punching bag technique. [Re: MattJ]
sstefan Offline

Miguel, I'm assuming you're talking about how boxers hit the speed bag? Yeah, I have no idea about that, either. I've heard it's more of a shoulder conditioning exercise than anything directly related to punching technique, but I don't really see the point, myself.

Plyometric rebounding (ie; retracting strikes quickly off the target) seems to have helped my speed a lot.

Speed bag improves striking precision and ofcourse speed punching, in my opinion the speed bag training is useful. The heavy bag is stationary while the speed bag is very mobile.

#427988 - 06/27/10 05:31 PM Re: Striking/punching bag technique. [Re: sstefan]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Yeah, I don't agree. Speed bag punching bears about as much resemblance to the mechanics of real punching as doing kata in the air does. The precision and speed it grants will be of little practical value, IMHO.

#427994 - 06/27/10 07:57 PM Re: Striking/punching bag technique. [Re: MattJ]
MAGon Offline
Veteran

He has a point though, Matt. The speed bag is a mobile target. The difficulty people have with it in the beginning is precisely being able to hit that moving target. He called it targeting, I called it coordination, but same concept. Dependng on the drills you work on it, you can make it harder to hit, and therefore enhance your ability to connect with something like an opponent's head as he weaves.
I'll agree that, by itself, that's not earth shattering. Add the double-ended bag (An even more mobile target) and the heavy bag, and you have some worthwhile skill-honing going on.

#428001 - 06/28/10 09:46 AM Re: Striking/punching bag technique. [Re: MAGon]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Heh, the disagreement train is on a roll with me! Miguel, while the speed bag does move, hitting it is about rhythm more than aim. Keep a steady cadence whilst aiming at the same spot, and it's not really all that difficult. Rhythm is not even a quality that is very useful in fighting, except in the idea of being able to break the opponent's.

The double end bag is much more about aim, IMHO, and has the benefit of forcing one to work defense at the same time.

#428006 - 06/28/10 01:08 PM Re: Striking/punching bag technique. [Re: MattJ]
MAGon Offline
Veteran

Hah! In the inmortal words of Big John McCarthy: "Let's get it on!"
Dude, you're right, you're aiming at the same spot. But the trick is hitting it when the bag's there!
Granted, once you get the rhythm it's more a matter of maintining it. I've gotten to the point where I can take my eyes off the bag for a time and not miss... But only for so long. You need to coordinate hand with eye. I'll grant you it gets easier with time. Then again, that's the purpose!
I will agree that the double-ended striking bag is better for targeting/ hand-eye coordination.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Taison 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga