FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 74 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Dobbersky 2
MattJ 2
royal 2
UKfightfreak 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#427735 - 06/14/10 08:08 PM Re: Karate Kid reviews [Re: VDJ]
ITFunity Offline
Professional Poster

Originally Posted By: VDJ
Brother, You can't have it both ways. The relocation is for what, because her job is in jeapordy because of the horrendous economic state that Michigan is in (Been there and seen it first hand, so I know whats going there but we ARE talking about a movie)? If its not for a better life whats it for ? (from the trailer "Look Tre Beverly Hills, always wanted to live in Beverly Hills). Now I personally don't think anyone is going to relocate to a communist country with a HORRENDOUS HUMAN RIGHTS record and think its for the better, but Hollywood LOVES to portray these countries like that. My point, which I think you're missing is thats its IMPLIED even though she may not say it literally. I won't see it nor will I tell anybody to go see it and the same goes for Tong Il. VDJ

Ok please 1 thing at a time:
1st, you are making a critique of a movie you never saw! wow
2nd, what do you then make the basis for your critique?, certainly it is not 1st hand knowledge
3rd, never in the movie does anyone say, nor is it implied that they are moving to China for a better life, unless I missed it & I would hope that someone who actually viewed the movie would tell me if I missed it
4th, it portrays that she is moving to China because her job relocated her, which happens now more than it did before, with the global economy (if you want to call it that)
5th never did she say, he say or did the movie put it that life was better in China, in fact, it shows throughout how life there is particually hard for the son, they simply do not deal much with the Mom's personal life or struggles at all, other than her worrying about her son, like typical for mom's
6th I found your critiques of Tong Il to also miss some obvious points that the trailer made, so it seems that you have soke preconcieved notion about that as well

Really to each their own. I enjoyed all 4 of the karate Kid movies & I also enjoyed very much the new film, so did the youngsters that I took to see it.

Edited by ITFunity (06/14/10 08:09 PM)

#427741 - 06/14/10 10:29 PM Re: Karate Kid reviews [Re: ITFunity]
VDJ Offline
Veteran

You keep missing my point by trying to comapre real life to a Hollywood production! Not many Americans are going to move to communist China just because their job is relocating them and being in sales I am well aware that those offers do come. I'm contending as is so popular today with the Hollywood left that they like to push their political views subtly in their films. It was there in the last Star Wars film as well. No I didn't see this film but I DID see the original and neither did that movie focus on Daniels Mother in any meaningful way other than their relocation for her job to hopefully create a better life for her & her son, and so far the consenus is that this film has paralelled the original with minimmal changes so putting that together which what I have seen in the trailers is what I am basing my opinion on! Regarding Tong Il, please enlighten me on the obvious points I have missed?

VDJ

Edited by VDJ (06/14/10 10:32 PM)

#427749 - 06/15/10 05:29 AM Re: Karate Kid reviews [Re: VDJ]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
dude, I know you are having fun with ITF, but check my last post if you like re. the possibility of taking a job in China if your interested in the subject smile

#427750 - 06/15/10 08:13 AM Re: Karate Kid reviews [Re: Cord]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Vince -

Quote:
I'm contending as is so popular today with the Hollywood left that they like to push their political views subtly in their films.

I think you may be overanalyzing this a bit. Maybe the China location was written in to accomodate Jackie Chan's character. He may have wanted it filmed there, or the director wanted that locale, etc. Probably not a conspiracy. smile

China is a looming business giant in any case (as I'm sure you already know), so company relocations are not impossible. China is already attempting inroads to the American auto market, although their Communist-era midset towards quality will slow that down until they get with the program.

BTW, a lot of kids are studying Chinese in school. One of a friend's kids has gone to study in China two years in a row. Her biggest complaint about China? Pollution! She said it's unbelievable how bad the air quality is in many of the metro areas she went to.

#427752 - 06/15/10 10:26 AM Re: Karate Kid reviews [Re: MattJ]
ITFunity Offline
Professional Poster

Ok we really are starting to beat that poor horse way tooooooo much!
The point of the thread is the new take on a great movie Karate Kid. A movie that really changed the face of the MAs in many Western countries where the original film played, as it opened the door wide to masses of kids.

Now the 2010 version was IMO really good. I enjoyed it, as did all the young students I took to see it, which BTW enhanced my enjoyement of the film, as I watched how much they did like it. I also offered that younger people would have more to relate to with their music etc. The point about Jackie Chan beating up a bunch of 12 year olds bothered me too, until I SAW the film & realized he didn't really beat them up, but kept putting them into the attacks of the other 12 year olds, so he technically didn't really beat them up to much! LOL

Now my main point of disagreement with VDJ, who did not even see the film, was that he states they moved there for a better life. They did not. The Mom was relocated there by her job, period, end of story.
I added that there was no mention in the film about them moving there becuase it was better, that China could afford a better place to live, none at all. I am well aware of the hollywood left & the games thay play all of the time. However VDJ's critique IMHO & in the view of someone who actually watched the film, is simply not warranted. Again, I am aware of the hollywood left & their extreme views & I did not see it at all. In fact, their move was not better in any way, shape or form. They were besieged by problems even on the plane ride over. The point of the film was how MAs is life, it can & does make life better & did in this film as well. This family was presented with a huge amount of adjustment & conflict, as we all face in life. These problems were made worse by the big change in geography & the differences in language & culture. In the movie & yes it is only a movie, the MAs solved it all. If life was only so easy, but it is not. However & again only IMHO, the MAs does make for a better life & this movie portrayed that very well, in the context of 2010, just like the 1st one did in the 1980s.
I enjoyed it & will be going back with more groups of the younger students. I suggest others do the same, especially if you suffer from the generation gap, that gap can be lessened through the eyes of those in the future generations!

#427753 - 06/15/10 11:31 AM Re: Karate Kid reviews [Re: ITFunity]
Kimo2007 Offline
Veteran

Quote:
The point about Jackie Chan beating up a bunch of 12 year olds bothered me too, until I SAW the film & realized he didn't really beat them up, but kept putting them into the attacks of the other 12 year olds, so he technically didn't really beat them up to much! LOL

In fact in the movie they made a point of stating he made them beat each other up. The scene was well done. Miyagi was the one who blasted the kid in the nads. Mr Han just got them to beat themselves up a little.

Quote:
I am aware of the hollywood left & their extreme views &

Extreme views? I realize VDJ is the one seeing the bogey man teaching kids to be Godless communists in this movie, but we are so far off the reservation here. People are offered jobs all over the world all the time. My wife has had offers to move to Singapore, Hong Kong, New Delhi, London and more. It's hardly a stretch that a single Mom would choose to accept an oversee's position, and hardly relevant.

#427754 - 06/15/10 12:54 PM Re: Karate Kid reviews [Re: Kimo2007]
ITFunity Offline
Professional Poster

Originally Posted By: Kimo2007
Extreme views? I realize VDJ is the one seeing the bogey man teaching kids to be Godless communists in this movie, but we are so far off the reservation here. People are offered jobs all over the world all the time. My wife has had offers to move to Singapore, Hong Kong, New Delhi, London and more. It's hardly a stretch that a single Mom would choose to accept an oversee's position, and hardly relevant.

Good points, but again, the mom had a job, they just moved the work location to China. I would imagine she had the option to not go, quit her job, take severance pay, unemployment etc & look for a new job in her area. But she just kept her job & changed places to live, NOT because she thought China was a BETTER place to live, but rather her company moved her there!

#427761 - 06/15/10 05:38 PM Re: Karate Kid reviews [Re: ITFunity]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
AND AN TOP OF IT ALL ITS STILL GOT FRIK ALL TO DO WITH KARATE!!!!!!!!!! mad mad mad

grin

#427801 - 06/17/10 04:06 PM Re: Karate Kid reviews [Re: Cord]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
The movie sucked I fell asleep during it. Thank god I didn't pay to see it. I had such high hopes for it too.

I personally think that kids in any era would prefer the original. This one just didn't bring it. A cheap imitation of the original with bad acting all around. Except for the actress who played the mom she did okay...

As for that wannabe TKD movie. I've said from the get go it had ulterior motives and now others are starting to finally see it that way as well. TKD will not bridge north and south Korea.
Vinci

#427803 - 06/17/10 05:02 PM Re: Karate Kid reviews [Re: TeK9]
TaekwonDoFan Offline

Quote:
TKD will not bridge north and south Korea.

Only military action will bridge north and south.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga