FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 50 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
AndyLA 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
Matakiant 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by cxt
10/10/14 10:08 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432509 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#427610 - 06/10/10 11:12 PM AUTHENTIC & FRAUDULENT! Fans, Beware & Be Informed
Red Sensei Offline
Stranger

Bruce Lee stumped the world with his invention of a new age martial art JKD – Jeet Kune Do. His movie "Enter the Dragon" showcased JKD for the first time to the world and drew millions to embark on the martial arts journey.

Jeet Kune Do

JKD is a physical- martial and philosophical-spiritual art. The MARTIAL part includes various ranges–Kicking, Punching, Knee- Elbow striking & Grappling with ground fighting.

JKD is unlike Karate & Taekwondo where major emphasis is on kicking, Judo & Wrestling where major emphasis is on body grappling and Boxing which focuses on punches. In JKD emphasis is total on all ranges of fighting - Kicking, Punching, Trapping-Elbow & Knee, as well as grappling & Matwork. JKD deals with the techniques developed by Bruce Lee specifically for himself- Jun Fan JKD, made up from Fencing, Boxing & Wing Chun, which Bruce Lee adapted to form his specific Stance, specific Footwork & specific Strikes.

The PHILOSOPHICAL part is about Lao Tzu, Zen and JKDization of Life. LAO TZU is about balancing Ying & Yang – harder forces and softer forces of existence (Masculine- Feminine, Day-Night, Optimism- Pessimism, Aggression-Accommodation). ZEN is about translating thought into action without rumination or worry. JKDization of Life is problem solving by the 4 fold path – Researching the subject at hand, Absorbing the useful parts & rejecting useless parts of your analysis and finally tailor-making the conclusions to suit your problem.

Despite the colossal success of his films, Bruce Lee did not want to commercialize his art JKD. Hence JKD is not publicly available till date. All those who claim to commercialize JKD by opening schools, using Press & Media, holding tournaments and teaching numbers in batches are prostituting the name JKD without even scratching the surface of the iceberg. A JKD school is always kept low profile, trains only about 7 students at a time, and each is taught individually (tailormade to correct his mistakes & develop his individual attributes) without hoards trained in batches on common techniques.

After Bruce Lees death, since JKD was not available, the result was other martial arts which were available got popular all over the world. Bruce Lee issued certificates to very few students in his lifetime. Dan Inosanto, Richard Bustillo, Ted Wong, James Lee and Taky Kimura. Today Inosanto, Richard Bustillo and Ted Wong are the only individuals who are available for teaching JKD. These so called ORIGINAL STUDENTS run seminars all over the world to introduce JKD to the participants. The participants are then awarded JKD Seminar attendance certificates. These are not to be confused by INSTRUCTOR CERTIFICATIONS awarded to some Instructors by the Original students after a lifetime of training under the Original students. The Instructor Certifications are APPRENTICE, ASSOCIATE & FULL INSTRUCTOR which takes decades of researching & training specifically in the Bruce Lee arts.

Those who have been certified by these above Bruce Lees Original Students (First Generation) are called SECOND GENERATION JKD artists. Those who have been certified under second generation are called third generation. Upto third generation Instructors, one can safely assume that the art of JKD is least diluted. I, Ritesh Reddy, am a third generation instructor, under Dr. Rao, private student of Richard Bustillo.

After Bruce Lees death, Dan Inosanto & Richard Bustillo opened up the IMB Academy (Filipino Kali Academy) which was the first academy to teach JKD. Ted Wong, Taky Kimura, Dan lee & others have trained this academy before branching off themselves. Richard Bustillo & Ted wong was instrumental in training Bruce Lees son Brandon Lee, daughter Shannon Lee & in helping raising the Bruce Lee foundation. To the best of my information, The Bruce Lee foundation has YET NOT DEVELOPED the JKD training program, and is still to develop the JKD Schools all over the world in few years. There are many who locally register Bruce Lee foundation with the TM & Patent office in their country & claim to be the BL Foundation, without any connection to Bruce Lee. The false claims of being BL Affiliate schools can be easily verified by contacting the BL foundation & Ted wong for verification of authenticity of the so called BLF Schools in India (!). There is nothing like a BLF affiliated school anywhere in the world. http://www.bruceleefoundation.com/

Then there is the World JKD Federation, which is NOT RECOGNIZED BY the BL Foundation. The World JKD federation is a diploma mill, which offers Full instructor certification to those who pay 500 USD, without ever meeting the students! The BL foundation will not vouch for the online certificate activity of WJKD federation. Many Karate Instructors in Delhi & Mumbai have been certified by the World JKD federation & claim to teach JKD, without any JKD training. They also hold competitions such as Rajiv Gandhi JKD tournaments without realizing that Bruce lee was dead against martial tournaments & sport fighting, with major focus only on full contact no holds barred, all our sparring. Check out all these paid instructor certifications by Video education (!) on the WJKDF websites
http://jeetkunedo.org & http://jeetkunedo.org/inslist.htm

WHO CAN THEN TEACH JKD?

As per Bruce Lee foundation, authentic JKD can only be learnt under those qualified instructors who have been issued Full Instructor certifications by the Original students (Dan Inosanto, Richard Bustillo, Ted Wong). You may read the article quoted in the website of BL Foundation below to see how to identify an authentic JKD Instructor. http://www.bruceleefoundation.com/index.cfm?pid=10607

So, only those with full Instructor certifications from original students Richard Bustillo, Ted Wong & Dan inosanto, can teach JKD. In my approximation there are about 500 JKD Instructors at all levels in the world of which only about 50 hold full Instructor certifications from original students. Only so many in the last 4 decades after Bruce Lees death!
There are martial artists in the world who have trained under Ted Wong/ Inosanto/ Bustillo for a session or two & who claim that they have Instructor Certifications from him (in their websites, there is no display of any Instructor Certificate from ted Wong). There are those who are falsely representing BL Foundation in india and "authorize" Indian martial artists to represent BL Foundation to teach JKD in India. Please contact BL Foundation (http://www.bruceleefoundation.com) to verify these fradulent claims.

One may also contact the JKD Brotherhood (http://www.jkdbrotherhood.com) which is a historical JKD website to verify claims of Instructorship.

One may even contact, Richard Bustillo, based in LA, USA, who still runs the IMB Academy, the first academy that taught JKD after Bruce Lee died. He was an original student of Bruce Lee who was the first senior JKD Instructor certified by Dan Inosanto. He is in his 60;s and is a FBI & LA-County Police Defensive Tactics Instructor. He is a martial arts legend and his seminars are in demand all over the world. At 69 years, he constantly travels world wide spreading the torch of JKD. His fansite is http://bustillojkd.tripod.com where more info can be found about him. He too can verify who is authorized to teach JKD as approved by BL Foundation & who is certified by him. Contact him at www.imbacademy.com

JKD in India

The only authorized JKD School in India & Asia is the IMB Academy-India/Asia chapter, in Mumbai called JKD Ideology. I have personally learnt JKD here under the authentic Instructors, who donot wish their names to be publicized. These Instructors are authorized by Richard Bustillo and are full instructors in JKD. This can be easily verified by contacting IMB Academy or Richard Bustillo himself at www.imbacademy.com He will vouch for the JKD Ideology School in India to be the local IMB chapter under his guidance.
Richard Bustillo frequently travels to india to supervise & train the Indian Bruce Lee fans. His last trip was a low publicized trip to Mumbai in March 2010.

If you have to understand more about JKD, you may visit many websites which offer authentic information on JKD. Yes, there are many which mislead you to believe that they offer authentic BLF endorsed information on JKD like World JKD federation, which has nothing to do with BL Foundation, but inserts links to BLF website to convince surfers about its realtion to BLF. See this misleading website www.JKDworld.com which leads to non authentic www.worldjkd.com where pictures of Bruce lee books are displayed to add more authenticity. Note how they have inserted links to BL Foundation, without being part of it.

For JKD information in India - Mumbai, you may please refer to http://jeetkunedoindia.tripod.com which is IMB – Asia chapter representing Richard Bustillo, Original student of Bruce lee. This website is close in identifying with the concepts & techniques of Jeet Kune Do. For training in Jeet Kune Do under the same school, visit www.JKDindia.com or contact info@JKDindia.com or call at +919820496752 to learn the authentic low profile Bruce lees art of Jeet Kune Do in India under authority & supervison of IMB Academy USA President, Richard Bustillo, who has been certified by the great Bruce Lee himself.

I hope I have cleared some misconceptions about JKD in India & helped in preserving the good name of the legendary Bruce Lee for the benefit of his fans in India. Bruce lee strongly believed that one must tailormake every technique to his individual need, by researching, absorbing the useful & rejecting the limitations. He also devised specific techniques to suit his constitution JFJKD. While we must study his methods, we must also understand his concepts, philosophy & ideologies. These will not only help us in becoming better martial artists and also to become good individuals in arena of life.

I wish you luck in your JKD quest, search & journey. I also urge you to remember that JKD is the journey not the destination. So brothers, In the words of Bruce Lee, Walk On!

~ Ritesh Reddy is a Third generation Instructor, JKD Ideology, India

#427659 - 06/13/10 02:18 PM Re: AUTHENTIC & FRAUDULENT! Fans, Beware & Be Informed [Re: Red Sensei]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
I think it is a bit rich to suggest that over the millenia of warfare it was a film-actor who came up with the idea of a multi-range system. Such systems have been in existence for centuries. The systems of Judo and TKD (like many others) were codified and shed many techniques formerly included.

Likewise, in Europe (whose arts influenced Lee)many practitioners learned a variety of styles/techniques. savate, for example in it's fullest forms, incorporates wrestling, weaponry, boxing and multi-level kicking.

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#427829 - 06/19/10 01:36 PM Re: AUTHENTIC & FRAUDULENT! Fans, Beware & Be Informed [Re: trevek]
LifesFist Offline

Loc: Above Is Heaven, Down Is Earth
First of All!! He was martial artist. Second, it is too little to say that Lee came up with a multi-range system. Whatever You will say, if You understand the meaning of Do he found Man, it will be too little. So don't be a bitch and don't speak such foolishness!!!

#427830 - 06/19/10 01:38 PM Re: AUTHENTIC & FRAUDULENT! Fans, Beware & Be Informed [Re: Red Sensei]
LifesFist Offline

Man, there is no art existing as Authentic JKD. Beware of Your folly thoughts !!! Enjoy what ever what exists and don't bother with papers of certification.

#427872 - 06/22/10 05:33 AM Re: AUTHENTIC & FRAUDULENT! Fans, Beware & Be Informed [Re: LifesFist]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
So who are the top authentic instructors of JKD?

Some of the instructors who's teachings I follow are Larry Hartsell, Paul Vunak, Eric Paulson, Rick Young, Burton Richardson, Ron Balicki, and Matt Thornton.

Matt Thornton however is not Inosanto certified. Yet he is highly respected by all the above JKD instructors.

I just read the BLF manual on what to look for in an authentic JKD instructor. There was a statement at the end which didn't fit with me on JKD. The statement was "keep Bruce Lee's JKD pure."

Sounds the total opposite of JKD.
Vinci

#427873 - 06/22/10 06:07 AM Re: AUTHENTIC & FRAUDULENT! Fans, Beware & Be Informed [Re: TeK9]
LifesFist Offline

I think that You don't have to follow any if You don't need, It's experience, and Lee created philosophy so that You could experience what he found. The way I look at that statement("keep Bruce Lee's JKD pure") is that You should understand core truth of Jkd and don't get carry with b.s. you have invented Yourself. But if they mean that You should carry on with imitative forms of Lee's past appearance, that it's not good.

#427875 - 06/22/10 07:54 AM Re: AUTHENTIC & FRAUDULENT! Fans, Beware & Be Informed [Re: LifesFist]
Shizen Offline

“To exist is to change”

(Henri Bergson, French Philosopher, 1927 Nobel Prize in Literature)

"I have not invented a new style, composite, modified or otherwise that is set within distinct form as apart from "this" method or "that" method. On the contrary, I hope to free my followers from clinging to styles, patterns, or molds. Remember that Jeet Kune Do is merely a name used, a mirror in which to see "ourselves". . . Jeet Kune Do is not an organized institution that one can be a member of.

(Bruce Lee, Black Belt Magazine, 1971)

#427889 - 06/22/10 12:02 PM Re: AUTHENTIC & FRAUDULENT! Fans, Beware & Be Informed [Re: Shizen]
LifesFist Offline

Shizen !! You're in wink Also Everyone should remember that JKd is a constant process of rooting out ignorance of his fighting spirit. And this process also results in martial art, functions as martial art. Thats the real difference between Jeet and organized despair. Sure, not everyone can handle it and start from pure nothingness.

Edited by LifesFist (06/22/10 12:08 PM)

#427915 - 06/24/10 01:31 PM Re: AUTHENTIC & FRAUDULENT! Fans, Beware & Be Informed [Re: LifesFist]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
Originally Posted By: LifesFist
First of All!! He was martial artist. Second, it is too little to say that Lee came up with a multi-range system. Whatever You will say, if You understand the meaning of Do he found Man, it will be too little. So don't be a bitch and don't speak such foolishness!!!

If you acted as enlightened as you seem to think you are you might have read my comment in the context of the post I was answering.

The OP is basically an advert which says the BLJKD is a system different from others because it is multirange and it was showcased in Enter the Dragon (hence my comment about film-actors). my comments were not about Bruce Lee as such buit rather an answer to an irritating post which, you will agree, actually contradicts the very things Lee himself stated (as seen in later posts).

It might also help to consider that there are probably many hundreds of thousands of Martial Artists who found Dos and Paths, but you probably haven't heard of many of them because they weren't film stars (or didn't write things down). Exmple, how many people have heard of Edward William Barton-Wright? And I'll hazard a bet that most who have only came to know of him because of a mispelling in a Conan Doyle book.

Edited by trevek (06/24/10 01:39 PM)

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#427930 - 06/25/10 07:10 AM Re: AUTHENTIC & FRAUDULENT! Fans, Beware & Be Informed [Re: trevek]
LifesFist Offline

It is human tendency to create "something original" after real thing occurs...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga