FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 41 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 10
trevek 6
cxt 5
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:17 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432446 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#427236 - 05/18/10 08:03 AM Re: Personal and home security [Re: BrianS]
Kathryn Offline

Loc: Washington, DC
Considering that a lot of house robberies take place during the day when no one is home, hardening the perimeter is another option. Replace the standard door screws in the door frame and hinges with extra-long ones, and replace the standard face plate on the door with a long one that goes almost the length of the door. This makes it very difficult to kick a door in, and the intruder will likely give up to avoid detection. Windows can be hardened any number of ways that go with your architecture.

#427253 - 05/18/10 08:02 PM Re: Personal and home security [Re: Kathryn]
duanew Offline

Loc: MN
Originally Posted By: Kathryn
Considering that a lot of house robberies take place during the day when no one is home, hardening the perimeter is another option.

Clarification- you make the same mistake a lot of the media make.
Burglary-entering a building with the intent of committing a crime inside-building may be occupied or not.
Robbery-taking the property of another from them by force or threat of force. Someone comes into your home-sticks a gun in your face and takes your stuff-a home invastion robbery.
Theft-taking someones property without their permission.
Hope it helps.
Duane

#427257 - 05/18/10 10:18 PM Re: Personal and home security [Re: TeK9]
clmibb Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Texas, US
Originally Posted By: TeK9
What kind of dogs do you guys have? Are they persona protection trained?

I have a Blue Lacy. They are a hunting breed that was bred for hunting wild hogs and javalinas. Here's a video of two of them baying a hog: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NWSG6UUIKo&feature=related

Lacy's were even featured in the History Channel's "Life After People": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TMEUjRzV4Q&NR=1

He's not overly barky but will bark if there's a threat or the neighborhood squirrel invades "his" space.

Casey

#430399 - 10/10/10 11:16 AM Re: Personal and home security [Re: clmibb]
Landus Offline

Loc: UK
Your local government should have leaflets on home security, but be careful as barbwire (in the UK) can work against you if the trespasser is injured.

I considered rigging at least one 'rape alarm' to a door, or even as a trip-wire in the house so that it would go off.

I think having a dog is probably one of the best but you need to go further than that for good protection (when you go for a walk, on holiday)

Some people have gravel around their property, movement-sensitive lights.

Don't give them anything to steal! have a cheap safebox hidden somewhere, screwed in to a wall for pp, cash, etc.

The things people will steal are jewellery, laptops, SatNavs (GPS) and other things are are light and small- which makes these easier to hide.

#430423 - 10/11/10 07:58 PM Re: Personal and home security [Re: Landus]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
This sounds kind of crazy, and isn't necessairly home (is personal though) security, but what do you guys think about having one of those tiny microchips put into your children (liek they do with pets) so whatever happens, they can be found? I ask this because the following has been on my mind and bothering me a lot lately: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/08/11/earlyshow/main6763247.shtml

This story in particular hits home because it's near where I live and my brother is close to the same age and looks almost exactly like him. The authorities seem completely helpless. Makes me think a lot of these cases could be quickly solved if we had small tracking devices (yeah I know it sounds like mark of the beats stuff but I don't care, I'm not religious).
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#430452 - 10/14/10 02:32 AM Re: Personal and home security [Re: Stormdragon]
ninpopo Offline

Loc: Africa *drums starts playing i...
Thats the thing, I am religious, so i would rather not get any chips planted into my body....

#430526 - 10/18/10 09:07 PM Re: Personal and home security [Re: Stormdragon]
Ames Offline
Veteran

I've been thinking the same thing lately stormdragon. I think the pros with those chips outweigh the cons. I don't really understand what peoples actual issue is with chips in this day and age is to be honest. Most people are constantly attached to cellphones, or computers, near deaf people have cochlear implants to hear better, we are closer every day to becoming cyborgs, and in many ways we already function like them anyway. Of course, it should always be someones choice to get an implant...

#430814 - 11/05/10 05:08 PM Re: Personal and home security [Re: Ames]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
The thing to remember too is that it's not the government who would have access to the system for whatever they want, law enforcement would get it from the providing company in an emergency. And it would be state before federal. I trust LEO's and the government more than I trust random people who may be around my kids (future kids) at any particular time. I would get the chip removed after age 18 anyway. My kids WILL be able to protect themselves by that point. If every child had this then none could be4 effectively kidnapped for long.

I used to be a pretty zealous Christian, and as long as there is no marking on the forehead or wrists it shouldn't matter. That "mark of the beast" thing is suppsoed to be very visible and in those locations. So if you believe that stuff what I'm talking about shouldn't be an issue. This kind of thinking is making a lot of sense to me these days.

For myself and my wife though, till we have kids, I have a .357 revolver stashed away ready to go. We're moving from an apartment into a duplex and I plan to have motion activated lights in the front and rear entryways. My dog isn't a guard dog but she is loud enough when ANYONE so much as walks by the place that we will be alerted well ahead of time. I think people who live in particularly big houses should take a course in basic room clearing tactics as well. Or get a soldier or cop to teach them some of those skills.
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#430816 - 11/05/10 08:12 PM Re: Personal and home security [Re: Stormdragon]
Shi Ronglang Offline
石榮狼

Loc: Samarobriva, Gallia
Well summed up, Storm.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga