FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 43 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 15
cxt 7
trevek 6
futsaowingchun 3
JKogas 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Throwing
by
04/23/05 10:58 PM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
Today at 12:04 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/29/14 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432456 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 11 of 14 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 >
Topic Options
#201632 - 01/03/07 02:41 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Jeff_G]
shadowkahn Offline
anti-stupid crusader

Had a guy, probably mid 20's, who took one of our half day seminars. It was a "hey come in for free, see what we do, then join us and learn something" event. He found out we worked pressure points and promptly informed us that they don't exist, his mom's a nurse and she told him there's no such thing, but you can pinch various veins, especially in the upper arm, to knock them out and/or kill them. Yammered about this garbage for about half an hour. . then got very angry when I suggested he conduct his own Nurse Fu seminar

#201633 - 03/20/07 09:01 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: shadowkahn]
evad74 Offline

Loc: Qld, Australia
Trained with a guy once who just straight out wasted everyones time. He wasn't very good at anything we did, but this wasn't the problem. The problem was he was lazy, he just didn't try at all.

He would give a half hearted attempt at a technique and give up halfway through it because he didn't think it was going to work perfectly. He was so busy talking and making excuses, he didn't listen or learn at all and generally he displayed no thought to anyone elses training when they were paired up with him, just soaked up 90% of the time on him trying things half heartedly and then talked about why he couldn't do them the other 10% - leaving his partner with no chance of their own. I still wonder why he ever bothered at all.

#201634 - 04/07/07 04:28 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Kazama]
pepto_bismol Offline
infinite kudos

hey, just wondering. Do you live in the san francisco bay area?

#201635 - 06/03/07 03:10 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: crablord]
jpoor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Fairfax, VA
Quote:

Right, new student to add. I help train the white belts in basic throws, anyway I was showing a guy how to do defense against a two handed grab (remove arm, step in, throw) and when I had finished demonstrating I grabbed him. Instead of doing said actions he gave me a massive haymaker in the face and gave me a blood nose...WTF????!!

Did it work?

#201636 - 06/03/07 10:41 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: jpoor]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
I love giving instructions to the bad students...

"No, your other right hand"... (insert foot, arm, "left" etc.)
"No, step outside of the body, or you'll run into them..."
"No, keep moving..."
"No, your other katate grip..."
"Are we leading, or following?"
"Try getting out of the way first..."
"Twist the wrist..."

... and my all time favorite... "down always works"...

#201637 - 06/04/07 03:04 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: wristtwister]
clmibb Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Texas, US
Quote:

I love giving instructions to the bad students...

"No, your other right hand"... (insert foot, arm, "left" etc.)
"No, step outside of the body, or you'll run into them..."
"No, keep moving..."
"No, your other katate grip..."
"Are we leading, or following?"
"Try getting out of the way first..."
"Twist the wrist..."

... and my all time favorite... "down always works"...

HAHA wrist you sound like me in class.
"No your other right hand, the Tae Kwon Do right hand"
"Ok guys I want you to step back to a right front stance, low section block. Your right foot will be in the front. The other right Mark. No your hands were fine just your feet were wrong. Now you need to switch them both."
"Ok we are going to advance. What does the word advance mean Mark?" "UMMMMMM." "Does it mean to go forward or run 100 laps around the room?" "UMMM run 100 laps?" "Ok then go run 100 laps."
"Advancing with the front stance is as easy as walking. All you have to do is step one foot in front of the other just like you would if you were walking. Mark you just need to take one step not two. No ONE step just stick your right foot in the front there. Now your left, other left. Not a skip, step."
Or while they are sparring, "Keep your guard up or Audrey will pop you! Don't look at me keep you eyes on her! She's the one hitting you not me!"

Casey

#201638 - 06/04/07 05:11 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: clmibb]
SBudda Offline

Loc: ATL
Man, this thread is going to give me a complex. As a person who
Quote:

when he gets on the mat, it's like he's confused, angry, frustrated, and has left his brain along with his shoes off the mat

And who also
Quote:

saying stuff like, "oh, that was a good punch," or "too slow! try it like this next time,"

and who pretty frequently requires reminders like,
Quote:

"No, your other right hand"

I'm not even including (ok, now I am) that I
Quote:

would sweat buckets while we would be doing techniques (Aikido) you couldnt even hold onto his wrist because it was so slippery or when he would pin you and you were on the ground you could feel the sweat run off of him and hit you in the back off the head.

I must be the worst student ever... How is that all of you have trained with me?

At least I haven't pooped on the mat yet.

#201639 - 06/10/07 10:51 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: SBudda]
kihap Offline

SBudda, I’m there with you –I don’t know how my instructors have put up with me. Some of these stories…tears were streaming down my face I was laughing so hard.
This is a great thread.

#201640 - 06/12/07 05:28 AM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: kihap]
Ames Offline
Veteran

LOL, yeah I'm there with you guys too. This thread is going to give me a serious a complex!

I have my bad days for sure. When I just can't move right, or I blank out mid-technique.

I work nights as a doorman, and sometimes have to train in the morning, on only an hour or two of sleep...I sweat bullets and I'm pretty slippery by the end of class, just because my body hasn't had any down time. Sometimes I feel bad about training in this state, but my Sensei approves, and gives me a ride out there, so I'm not that worried.

Anyway, thanks guys, does anyone know a good therapist specilizing in martial arts dysfunctions?

#201641 - 06/12/07 02:12 PM Re: The worst possible students....EVER [Re: Ed_Morris]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
I've had many but this one stands out above all the others. This guy is almost as old as I am, we were in our 30s when he was my student. He told me he had studied numerous Martial arts but didn't have any rank in any. He stated that he studied under most of the Instructors teaching in the area, he stated that they would always try to hurt him because in his opinion he was a threat to them. I considered him a assoicate and had plans to give him a foundation and structure.

He particpated in all the class events but in a self defense drill that were not lock throw, he would hold on. We have a choke defense that releases and strikes with an elbow. I talked about saftey and moved slowed until they got control. Still he'd hold on looking like this doesn't work. I called one of my seniors to do the technique with me as his uke, with a helmet on. Of course it dropped me. he still didn't get it. So I placed him in the helmet he felt the technique out of the helmet he still held on. I explained that if you hold on you make the elbow more effective and showed him.

As things went on he questioned things that were not like what he learned, he sometimes knew the how, but not the why. He got hurt a number of times in self defense and spontaneous attacks (mock muggings) disregrading the saftey factor. No matter how I stressed we have to keep it real but also keep it safe.

He liked sparring but his movement was very basic, he knew the basic of how, but not why or when to set things up or defense r how to avoid contact. He eventually quit saying that he is too old to keep getting hurt trying to prove what works and what doesn't. I told him I now understand why the other Instructors would hurt you. You are trying to show them that what they do don't work. Almost in your own world, when they show you their art works then you feel threaten.
He left saying," That Bruce (Lee) said that we should put on gear & go full out". I asked him how long had, Sifu Lee been his instructor, this was in 1989-92, Lee died in the 70s. I asked When are you ever going finish anything from Marriages, Boardcasting school and the numerous dojos when it didn't go your way, you quit. The sad part is you have potentials in each.

This was definitely the worse student/associate, I've ever tried to teach. He had basic skills but no knowledge. And a closed mind, if Bruce didn't say it.

Edited by Neko456 (06/12/07 02:17 PM)

Page 11 of 14 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, McSensei, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga