FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT, sagat
22914 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 2
AndyLA 2
log1call 1
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
Recent Posts
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
09/09/14 05:55 PM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/07/14 07:01 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
09/02/14 06:26 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
Forum Stats
22914 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432491 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#426392 - 04/08/10 07:29 AM my kata
student_of_life Offline
Veteran

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
hey guys, i've been working on some new kata over the last few months and took some video of them last night. Please have a look and make any corrections you feel would help. i walked through the kata at a slower pace and tried to smooth them out a bit to take off the rough edges.

also, i know in advance that i don't move like a traditional JKA shotokan guy. its on purpose.

Nijushiho
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sonya_natasha/4501979872/

Unsu
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sonya_natasha/4501836356/

Kitte
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sonya_natasha/4501080467/

posted for your enjoyment, please let me know what you think.

#426395 - 04/08/10 08:49 AM Re: my kata [Re: student_of_life]
underdog Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mansfield, MA U.S.A.
I'm not familiar with Nijushiho which may or may not be an advantage. All I could look at was the general impression and the basics. Overall, I'd say very well done. The single exception would be the side kicks. All the other moves are much as we would do them. We usually complete the side kick by bringing it back more. If that is not what you are trying to do, oh well, the rest looks great and I was just trying to look at it in a helpful way.

Unsu was a winner. I'd give anything to be able to do a kata like that. Same for Kitte, which also had better kicks than Nijushiho.

Awesome. That is what kata should look like.

#426399 - 04/08/10 11:34 AM Re: my kata [Re: student_of_life]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: East Coast, United States
Hello Student:

Not knowing any of those kata specifically to my knowledge/by those names is our critique still welcome (even valid) ?

Jeff

#426405 - 04/08/10 12:50 PM Re: my kata [Re: Ronin1966]
student_of_life Offline
Veteran

of course. there are lots of styles, but anyone familiar with kata practice should be aware of what makes a good kata. and please don't hold back criticism, its pretty much the only way i get better.

*edit*
and thank you Underdog, very kind words. yeah, the kicks do need more retraction. thats a tough move, when i retract too much i loose the momentum i need for the punch. all about ballance i guess.

Edited by student_of_life (04/08/10 12:51 PM)

#426411 - 04/08/10 02:38 PM Re: my kata UNSU [Re: student_of_life]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Hello student_of_life:

You are a brave man my friend... putting your kata out there to be analyzed. Yikes.... crazy

I am not familiar with those particular kata. However from a structural standpoint I'll make the following observation(s) for whatever worth they might be to you, if any.

UNSU:
I have SERIOUS concerns re: your splayed (open) fingers anyplace in the kata. Initally looks (?) like your thumbs are hanging out waiting to be broken/smashed because they appear isolated and are not firmly pressing against the rest of your hand. It could easily have been the camera angle and an optical illusion though. You tell us?

The same concerning the other fingers at various times. It could well be stylized and therefore correct, but I find serious mechanical-structural problems with open fingers seperated that way always.

As for the foot positioning, it APPEARS that as assorted places your foot is NOT connected to the ground. The outside edge, the inside edge were touching, but not the entire foot. That is a meaningful problem at various points where the stance itself, the stance to generate a strong kick and definately was not remotely stable IMV.

You can't be on your tippy toes/be ~off the ground~ with that foot and expect to kick well using the other.

However other than that, time and more careful study perhaps there might be more. But I liked the general speed, its not too fast, too slow... simply going through at a moderate practice pace. The power your generating seems ~relaxed~ and that too I like the basic gist.

There is always stuff to work on, and I could easily be mistaken. Someday perhaps I will be this brave...

Jeff

Edited by Ronin1966 (04/08/10 03:01 PM)
Edit Reason: Subject heading clarification

#426413 - 04/08/10 02:51 PM Re: my kata KITTE [Re: student_of_life]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Hello student_of_life:

As before not familiar with this particular kata. As before as such my critique may be completely invalid/irrelevent.

Same complaint as before re: your splayed fingers. This time it does appear definately stylized to some extent, seems tangible you do it this time at least.

Regardless, those specific instances aside, when you do it elsewhere, or even there I still "object" <wg>.

Also your foot/weight placement is driving me NUTS. Your weight is almost exclusively, entirely on the inside edge of your foot pretty consistantly throughout the entire kata.

That is a red flag (for me)!

Weight should be on both the inside and outside of the foot equally. But given the choice, ever forced to choose between the two, weight should only be on the outside edge of the foot. Yours is the exact opposite...

Believe (rightly/wrongly) that is a meaningful mistake on your part. At several points you appeared to be in motion or worse have lost any connection to the ground while punching. Could be stylized movement, but I believe that is mistaken as well.

No complaints per se with speed or power, but I think here there are some tangible structural-weight problems. But hey, I also could be wrong, and it won't be the last time either <ggg>

Jeff

Edited by Ronin1966 (04/08/10 03:00 PM)

#426414 - 04/08/10 02:54 PM Re: my kata [Re: Ronin1966]
student_of_life Offline
Veteran

thanks.

i've herd this about the fingers being splayed before from top karate instructors. initially i followed it like doctrine, but i spar a lot and i practice BJJ, and honestly i've found it to be a moot point. different hand positions represent different ways of grabbing, or different techniques, so they need to be followed for details sake. actually, i now don't focus on keeping a tight hand through the kata now, my focus is on what my core is doing and how i move my center of gravity.

and about the foot thing. lets just say i've spent a lot of time on it already. i have a weird arch in my foot and the middle of the sole of my foot dosn't touch the ground. i understand the point you made, but my foot anatomically can't do it. if i push the outside edge down to make the space smaller, the inside edge of my foot rises. maybe that means that karate isn't for me.

thanks again, the more it gets disected the more i learn.

#426416 - 04/08/10 03:27 PM Re: my kata [Re: student_of_life]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Hello student_of_life"

The finger thing is not dogma, but bone structure 101. Tiny little bones dislike being away from their four unified "brothers". But if open this way they are smashable and easily broken/damaged solely because they are not supported by the other fingers. Open hand, closed hand irrelevent, single fingers BAD idea.

<<i now don't focus on keeping a tight hand through the kata now, my focus is on what my core is doing and how i move my center of gravity.

Understood. And we're not talking about making diamonds by how your hand is perhaps holding some grains of sand. Simply talking about avoiding the potential for problems IMV.

<<i have a weird arch in my foot and the middle of the sole of my foot dosn't touch the ground.

There are multiple arches in the foot, though only the biggest one is typically thought much about by us or anyone else. Let me make sure I understand your meaning though.

Are you saying that if your foot were a rectangle. That ONLY one edge or the other of that rectangle is physically ever able to be in solid contact with the ground? You cannot have both sides of said rectangle touching at the same time confused ?

As for "karate" not being for you... that's silly! You cannot climb into the body of Zeus or Mars, and do karate from those bodies. We all have anatomical quirks, problems. The question is how do we generate maximum power with those ~anamolies~ not ignoring them. Explore the challenges... its not a lifetime art because the art itslef is that hard to "get". We are that's why its a lifetime thing...

There were several points in either kata which you appeared to be in firm connection with the ground. It was by in large when you picked up speed, sought power in your fists that you rolled to the edges pretty melodramaticly IMHV.

Merely my observation, I can surely (as always) be mistaken,

Jeff

#426424 - 04/09/10 05:35 AM Re: my kata [Re: Ronin1966]
Ives Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: the Netherlands
Jeff, in the Kitte (I only ever heard of Jitte as a Shotokan Kata) you can clearly see Marks 'ankle-difficulties'. I don't think he isn't trying.

Mark, your kata look powerfull and of good pace. I have to agree with Jeff on the loose fingers in the Kaishu/Shuto handforms. They are really easily damaged. Also tightening the hand/fingers make a better striking surface. Followed up grabbing motions aren't affected, since these grabbing motions are fast enough.

#426425 - 04/09/10 07:15 AM Re: my kata [Re: Ronin1966]
student_of_life Offline
Veteran

there are a few times in the video when you see the outside edge of my foot close to the camera. when i have equal pressure on the inside and outside, there is still a small gap between the floor and my foot near the heel on the outside edge. if i push it down to make the gap disapear, then the inside edge looses connection.

we've been working on this is class by focusing on knee-toe alingment. where, like a squat, when you bend your knee it should track out over between your big and "index" toes. this puts the pressure down the middle of the knee and ankle joint. weather or not this has sunk in to me yet is another story, lol.

thanks for the replies guys. i appreciate it all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga