FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 24 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AndyLA 5
Dobbersky 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 3
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 03:51 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35573 Topics
432484 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#426193 - 03/30/10 04:13 PM Re: Modern Warrior - Bo Fung Do [Re: PowerliftingBBer]
Raul Perez Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Lake Ronkonkoma, NY, USA
I train in Ryukyu Kempo.

Here's me in September 2009.... I'm ALWAYS the little guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hgZ2ESIxiQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duOEHlELYLg

in the second one I had the pleasure of fighting our 265 pounder.... So far I'm the only one he hasn't knocked out... then again I'm the only one with the sense not to stand in front of him willingly ha!

I've been training for 14 years and now I'm on my own. If you want an occassional work out partner let me know. The people here can vouch for me I'm legit.

Edited by Raul Perez (03/30/10 04:24 PM)

#426194 - 03/30/10 06:00 PM Re: Modern Warrior - Bo Fung Do [Re: PowerliftingBBer]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
It looks very interesting, but the clip with the guys in padded suits lacks a bit of reality because they don't make grabs for her or anything. They just seem to run up to her and bump against her. If someone had grabbed her around the neck and pulled her down it might have been more realistic.

Likewise, the clip in the rain had someone in a tight skirt attempting a kick and another guy trying a high kick in wet, slippery conditions.

Of course, I have no idea of how the programme works or what level the people in the film were at, so it is not really fair of me to make too harsh an opinion. I'll assume that that is why they do this kind of training, to find out what not to do.

It does look interesting.

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#426203 - 03/31/10 01:33 AM Re: Modern Warrior - Bo Fung Do [Re: trevek]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
I really liked the second video. You did great in avoiding the big guy. And you really have that step through side kick down. In fighting the bigger stronger opponent will always have the advantage it's just genetics. But with your training you managed to nullify is weight advantage over you. Being that you were both padded up you can't really gauge the effectiveness of your shots, however if this were a real fight. I would say the shots you landed on him would have been enough.

It's difficult to press the attack on a larger opponent when your all padded up during sparring. Because of the padding it makes it sport, and even though he takes his shots you can't hurt him to realistically stop him, so once your done delivering your attacks, its his turn and that's when he basically has you, because now your in his range of attack and with his size advantage he owns you. Luckily you never stood in front of him for to long. I think there were around 3 times when you actually were in trouble. Once was hen you decided to trade shots with him toe to toe, face to face and the other two was when you went to the ground with him, he was on top of you. Like i said though great clip, great work.

If you need some motivation why not taking up sports TKD to work on your footwork and kicks. You really did well for someone of 152 lbs. vs 200+ guy. Improving on what you already know just might inspire you to train again. I know your tired of all the kids, but if its one thing sports Tkd teaches is footwork in conjunction with kicks. Forget about the fancy kicks just stick with the basics. That's what I do.
Vinci

#426211 - 03/31/10 04:07 AM Re: Modern Warrior - Bo Fung Do [Re: TeK9]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
I still think that the actuall training displayed in the footage looks f*cking awful. Compliant guys overeacting while wearing padding and I honestly have no idea what the 1st clip is about other than its not fighting.

You will get more out of some proper alive training of realistic techniques, than playing Karate Kid under a sprinkler system.

Harsh, but true.

#426215 - 03/31/10 08:08 AM Re: Modern Warrior - Bo Fung Do [Re: Cord]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
Woah, woah, WOAH.

I just took a look at this thread from the first post. I didn't see those first 2 youtube video's. I was only commenting on Raul Perez's clips.

As far as those other one's I have no idea WTF they are doing. I thought the first one was a joke but according to the clip it's advertising for the school.

The second video was no better. Mass attack training has to be as real as possible meaning the guys who are fully padded up have to really try to take you down. That lady was barely using power in her strikes. Those guys were pretending to attack her, there was no reason for any of them to miss a take down or to even fall on their own face. They are giving her a false sense of security.

If you have multiple opponents coming after you and you have to defend yourself the first thing you do is pick up a weapon. Same thing against an armed opponent, you must always find an equalizer.

They have that poor woman thinking she is Bruce Lee or Jackie Chan holding off opponents from all sides... Shows the level of knowledge the instructor has.
Vinci

#426219 - 03/31/10 09:39 AM Re: Modern Warrior - Bo Fung Do [Re: TeK9]
Raul Perez Offline
Professional Poster

Originally Posted By: TeK9

If you need some motivation why not taking up sports TKD to work on your footwork and kicks. You really did well for someone of 152 lbs. vs 200+ guy. Improving on what you already know just might inspire you to train again. I know your tired of all the kids, but if its one thing sports Tkd teaches is footwork in conjunction with kicks. Forget about the fancy kicks just stick with the basics. That's what I do.

Thanks Tek... I'll never stop training. I'm going to be dojo hopping when I need bodies and some sparring. I have a few contacts around the Island that will accept me to train with them. I'm just cutting through all the BS and going straight to training. AND if my woman allows I'll make some long distance treks to hang with a few of you knuckle heads sometime in the near future.

When it comes down to it all full contact styles are extremely similar. Hit, destroy, repeat.

Raul

#426220 - 03/31/10 09:49 AM Re: Modern Warrior - Bo Fung Do [Re: Raul Perez]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote:
AND if my woman allows I'll make some long distance treks to hang with a few of you knuckle heads sometime in the near future.

Keep Razor and I in mind if you get near the PA/MD/NJ area. smile

#426223 - 03/31/10 10:25 AM Re: Modern Warrior - Bo Fung Do [Re: MattJ]
Raul Perez Offline
Professional Poster

Top of my list baby... top of my list smile

#426225 - 03/31/10 12:39 PM Re: Modern Warrior - Bo Fung Do [Re: Raul Perez]
PowerliftingBBer Offline

Im def looking for something full contact. BTW Raul great videos you did awesome brotha! What art is that?

Take a look at this and tell me what you guys think, its a lot more contact then Modern Warrior.

http://www.okinawakenpokarate.com/

The video:
http://www.okinawakenpokarate.com/kumite.wmv

Go to 3:13 and its full contact sparring.

Edited by PowerliftingBBer (03/31/10 12:40 PM)

#426228 - 03/31/10 01:15 PM Re: Modern Warrior - Bo Fung Do [Re: PowerliftingBBer]
Raul Perez Offline
Professional Poster

Master Higa shares the same Master as my system does. The only difference, from what I was told in the past by my senior instructors, is that Higa learned from Shigeru Nakamura when Nakamura was in his advanced years. So his instruction is much different than what my Lineage's master (Seiyu Oyata) learned from.

Nakamura introduced Bogu Kumite to Okinawa and therefore any decendent from his system, to truly honor him, WILL have full contact fighting as part of their requirements. Same is said for my system of Ryukyu Kempo as devised by Seiyu Oyata. Oyata was the all Japan Bogu Kumite Champion so you better believe we FIGHT!

The fights displayed were from kyu grades I would like to have seen some Yudansha bogu kumite fights in that clip. They would probably have displayed better timing, technique, and angles of attack.

I've heard good things about his school. Check it out.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga