FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 30 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
charlie 2
futsaowingchun 2
harlan 1
Matakiant 1
William_Bent 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#425881 - 03/17/10 01:24 PM Re: The Karate Kid Remake shows whats missing in MMA [Re: Cord]
everyone Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: USA
I agree with Cord for the most part but am interested to hear from Kathryn (or anyone else)what philosophy, wisdom, morals etc.. you learned from martial arts training? Also, how was this transmitted to you (lectures, posters on the wall, etc..)? Could you have learned the same lessons from golf, cake-making, etc..? Are all TMAists in agreement on these morals and respect issues?

#425896 - 03/17/10 10:26 PM Re: The Karate Kid Remake shows whats missing in MMA [Re: Cord]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
I don't see MA's as church. I just feel some basic morals should be taught. Arming people with knowledge to hurt others without giving them the facts about the consequences is just reckless. As far as MA being a tool for spirituality well I think it's a hit and miss for some. I think that's more personal. Whats right for some may not be for others. I agree just about anything discipline or activity could be used creatively to gain self confidence and self discipline.
Vinci

#425899 - 03/18/10 01:44 AM Re: The Karate Kid Remake shows whats missing in MMA [Re: Kimo2007]
glasshopper Offline
Stranger

Well i think that you should read or watch some interviews with Anderson Silva. What a top guy! he is an MMA champion and lives the Martial Arts philosphy.

I think you maybe letting the whole media pre fight hype cloud the real picture that allot of these guys live by.

Anyway, TMA have there fair share of crap as well. How many hundreds of hours did i spend doing katas that i was never shown any practical application from. Atleast with MMA it is real. The technic works or it doesnt. That is why people do MMA.

Also, Just because MMA is brutally honest doesnt mean that people dont have any traditions that they have been brought up in. I think that you will find that most MMA people have a good grounding in TMA to start with

#425900 - 03/18/10 03:28 AM Re: The Karate Kid Remake shows whats missing in MMA [Re: glasshopper]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Tek wrote:
Quote:
I just feel some basic morals should be taught

I seriously doubt that anyone goes in to an MA class without having been given a moral compass by parents and the scholastic system. If they have not learned basic concepts of right and wrong by the time they hit a class, then they need psychiatric assessment, not kata.

Originally Posted By: glasshopper

I think you maybe letting the whole media pre fight hype cloud the real picture that allot of these guys live by.

A very good point. People like Baroni and Ortiz let themselves down as individuals, but for every one like that, you have a Couture, a Silva, a St.Pierre. etc., and as in boxing, the trash talk says more about what excites fans, than what motivates the fighters.

Quote:
Also, Just because MMA is brutally honest doesnt mean that people dont have any traditions that they have been brought up in. I think that you will find that most MMA people have a good grounding in TMA to start with

Again, a good point. BJJ is an evolution of JJ, a koryu art. Muay Thai has centuries of tradition as a TMA before being embraced by the MMA community as a default striking skillset. Then you have Chuck with his Kempo background, Machida, St. Pierre and Parisyan with Japanese TMA foundations.
And Lets not forget that Wrestling has a heritage that predates the New Testament.

#425901 - 03/18/10 04:20 AM Re: The Karate Kid Remake shows whats missing in MMA [Re: Cord]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
There is a lot of talk of "warriors" but what some people forget is that warriors are not just fighters. They are members of a society in which they have a status and role. the society usually trains them for this role and they are subject to the laws of that society.

This is where a philosophy of some kind may create a society and, arguably restrain certain aspects of the 'beast within' the warrior.

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#425904 - 03/18/10 04:52 AM Re: The Karate Kid Remake shows whats missing in MMA [Re: trevek]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

Brief interview with Rickson Gracie, former MMAist and BJJ legend. He is pretty philosophical:

http://www.teamtooke.com/ricksonmaynardinterview.html

#425907 - 03/18/10 08:02 AM Re: The Karate Kid Remake shows whats missing in MMA [Re: glasshopper]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Originally Posted By: glasshopper
Anyway, TMA have there fair share of crap as well.

Sure. Not so much the techniques or kata, which is a matter of preference to some degree. But we've definitely had a few nominal high-ranked TMAer's here who were at least as arrogant and petulant as the stereotypical MMA bad-boys.

#425910 - 03/18/10 10:26 AM Re: The Karate Kid Remake shows whats missing in MMA [Re: MattJ]
Gibberer Offline

Loc: Gifu City, Japan
My teacher has only ever spoken once about anything remotely moral and it was quite simple... as you get stronger, you should do your best to be kinder to people. Being strong gives you more ability to be kind.

I don't think you need much more than this, but really, we all know this already and you you shouldn't need a gorilla like karate teacher to tell you so, especially when your in your 30s as I am....

#425914 - 03/18/10 03:01 PM Re: The Karate Kid Remake shows whats missing in MMA [Re: Gibberer]
Kathryn Offline

Loc: Washington, DC
This is in part what inspired me to do the website Modern Bushido. One of my senseis had a lot to say about budo and bushido (looooong lectures while we nursed our bruises), and over the years I've done a lot of reading and thinking about it. But how does it apply to the modern world? Who else is thinking about this issue? And so I collected together the classic works as well as works that bring the ancient ideas into various aspects of modern life. I will probably write something of my own someday as well, but right now I'm enjoying just finding out what others think about it.

#425915 - 03/18/10 04:09 PM Re: The Karate Kid Remake shows whats missing in MMA [Re: Kathryn]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
I have Cleary's translation of the Code of Bushido, and it is a good read.

One can't disagree with the basic tenets it champions - live each day as your last, act honourably for yourself, and in so doing bring credit to all associated with you. Family loyalty, a sense of duty and pride in one's work, carry yourself in a way that is deserving of respect etc.

It is worth noting however, that the codification of Samurai ettiquette only really proliferated and became a taught mantra as the role of the Samurai became removed from that of the warrior.

It is also worth noting that samurai were a class in a cast system, to which you were born, so just following the code was not enough to be a samurai, and there was no way of being 'promoted' within the cast system based on merit.

To apply the code in a functional way, in western society, requires us only to not act like a d1ck, be polite, do an honest days work, and remember to call our mom's at the weekend, all the time not taking life for granted. Thats it.

Not only do I not need a Mr Miyagi to teach me this, I am not sure that an MA class could teach you this.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga