FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 32 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
BUJU, Pilsungkarate, ALF, old1, Leonar
22928 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Ronin1966 3
ergees 2
Victor Smith 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 04:53 PM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 04:53 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Forum Stats
22928 Members
36 Forums
35583 Topics
432511 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#425663 - 03/04/10 12:34 PM UFC 111 in the movie theater?
Zombie Zero Offline
Compliance & Liability
Veteran

Loc: Lorton, VA
If you haven't heard, the UFC is doing an experiment where they are going to show UFC 111 in movie theaters. I guess the idea is that ticket prices will be lower, while putting more butts in seats.

$20 per ticket versus $50 for the PPV is good math on paper, but in execution, I think this will be a complete failure of an idea.

For one, you're going to be sitting in those tiny theater seats. Can you imagine 300 people standing up and cheering in a movie theater?

Secondly, most people who watch UFC are at home parties, or out at a sports bar, where you can get up, get a beer, grab a burger and some chips, etc. Movie theaters can't accommodate that.

I really don't think this is going to take off.

What are your thoughts?

#425701 - 03/05/10 07:24 PM Re: UFC 111 in the movie theater? [Re: Zombie Zero]
Ogoun Offline

Loc: Fort Myers, FL
If my memories served me right, they tried that with boxing in seventies.

#425707 - 03/05/10 10:01 PM Re: UFC 111 in the movie theater? [Re: Ogoun]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
That's right. Before cable and satellite, a lot of big fights were shown through cinema's on closed circuit broadcasts. A lot of Ali's fights were promoted this way.
They are doing this in the UK with certain theatre productions and even opera.
I would go to it, no doubt. Here in the UK, a lot of multiplexes are licensed, you can get beer, the seats are awesome-comfy and the big screen would be a brilliant way to see MMA.

#425715 - 03/06/10 12:58 PM Re: UFC 111 in the movie theater? [Re: Cord]
TheCrab Offline
Scum

Loc: QLD Australia
sounds like a good idea.
it wont work though, it will end up packed with 15 year olds wearing tapout clothes being idiots.

Although it would be cool, beer, mates, popcorn and quiet, I'd go.

#425734 - 03/07/10 01:10 PM Re: UFC 111 in the movie theater? [Re: TheCrab]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
They did this with WWE and it did well for a period of time. I think the same thing will happen with UFC. Only problem is you may get some idiots thinking they are tough and put that with attitude that may spell problems.

#426113 - 03/28/10 01:48 PM UFC 111: SPOILERS [Re: Dereck]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Anyone who thinks that the UFC is gearing its rules to favour/encourage highlight reel KO's should take heart from UFC111. It was a real showcase for top level grappling/groundwork - from prelims to PPV, there were some really interesting and close fights. A good night for the matchmakers smile

Carwin absolutely destroyed Mir. The man's hands are as heavy as there have ever been in the octagon, and as Couture nearly dropped Lesnar at 230lbs with a bit of dirty short range boxing, I think Carwin could well give Brock an early nap coming in at an even 265. Big Dan Murgliata owes Mir a drink and a few braincells though - he should have stopped Carwin 5 punches earlier when it 1st became apparent to everyone even in the cheap seats, that Mir was face down KO'd.

Dan Hardy was never going to be in GSP's league, though the hype machine did a good job in all the pre-fight media to make him seem more of a threat than he was ever going to be. GSP took him down repeatedly, never let him get a chance on his feet. On the ground it was ridiculously 1 sided, but Hardy is a tough mo-fo, refusing to tap to a full armbar and a full kimura - and when I say full, I mean FULL. How he rolled out of the Armbar with use of his right elbow I will never know, and GSP just gave up on the kimura having tried to literally crank the arm out of the socket to no avail!!

GSP came in cut, fit and focussed. He prepared properly, and gave Hardy's stand up respect, and implemented a plan to negate it perfectly. Its what he does, and it is to Hardy's credit that he went the distance. GSP is showing no signs of complacency in his reign, and it was another ridiculously complete performance that, had it been against someone with human joints, would have been a tapout win in the 1st or 2nd round.

Great card, and refreshingly little booing for some very technical fights.

#426117 - 03/28/10 02:34 PM Re: UFC 111: SPOILERS [Re: Cord]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
GSP is "the man". How did Hardy get out of the armbar? GSP let him; plain in simple. He didn't arch his hips and he looked over to his corner. He could have snapped that arm but instead let Hardy turn his arm so it was no longer in danger thus allowing he escape. It was a text book armbar but GSP was a gentleman and did not snap it. As for the Kumura, props to Hardy as he was ready to tap a couple of times. We all know one more yank especially if GSP would have used his whole body instead of just his upper body strength, that arm would have been done; and again he looked to his corner and then let it go.

You are correct Cord, they built up Hardy prior to the fight to make him seem more a threat and it turned out he wasn't. The thing with GSP is he doesn't finish people normally, he wears at them physically and mentally and he doesn't mind going 5 rounds to do this.

The thing with Hardy, he went to Serra to train but Serra only won because of a punch, which Hardy already had. And working on all of that ground work escapes from submission holds, that was a waste of time in my books. What he should have done is found somebody that could show him how to "stop" the takedown and/or how to effectively get back up. He would have been better off going to train with Chuck Liddell for this then Serra. And because he didn't train this, GSP was able to take him down "each" and "every" time he wanted to. It was almost embarrassing how easy Hardy could be taken down.

As for Mir vs. Carwin; I really was starting to like Mir but Carwin IS a force to be reckoned with and I see him beating Lesnar.

#426118 - 03/28/10 03:04 PM Re: UFC 111: SPOILERS [Re: Dereck]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
They completely fooled me. I was convinced that finally this was going to be a serious challenge for GSP, but after watching to first round I knew it was going to be one sided.

GSP took Harding down maybe 10 times easily. He's got some great wrestling. I mean he put on a clinic on Harding. And his ground control was phenomenal and the ease for which he kept passing Harding's guard was so laughable. GSP took Harding completely out of his element.

When I saw that arm bar I covered my eyes, I thought for sure he was going to pop his elbow out. Then I saw GSP apply that Kimura so far back...OMG I was just waiting for it....waiting.

Okay I gotta ask, maybe someone else saw this. But when GSP had that wicked kimura on Harding, he looked up at the ref seeing if the ref was going to stop the fight. After realizing that Harding wasn't going to tap he just kinda sat back resting on top of Harding contemplating.

Now this to me looked like one of two things. He either just couldn't bend Harding's arm back anymore...doubtful

Or he decided to purposely give up the kimura and release Harding so he wouldn't ruin his career. He has that arm so tight, and so far up Harding's back that I just can't help that he took mercy on Harding.
Vinci

#426120 - 03/28/10 03:29 PM Re: UFC 111: SPOILERS [Re: TeK9]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Dereck, I am sure that Hardy knows how to sprawl and get up from the ground in principle, just like Koscheck, a national wrestler, would have known what to do on the ground to sweep St.Pierre when they fought.
The trouble seems to be imposing these techniques on St.Pierre. The guy is just too good.
Even in the brief stand up that did happen, *Bang!!* 2 straight down the pipe on to Hardy's chin. Sure he took em an grinned, but its not a smiling competition, and he ate em like a fat kid eats cake.
I am fast coming to the conclusion that, if a weight class can be agreed upon, the only fighter that could give St.Pierre a real challenge is Anderson. That fight needs to happen - for both of them, as they are the only real contenders for P4P.

Tek, I did see that with the Kimura, but I honestly dont think it was a gentlemanly choice to give it up. If you watch it again, you see him apply the gradual pressure. No Tap from Hardy. Then there is a sudden real strong 'crank' (made my stomach drop watching it), but still nothing. I think the 'sit back and think' was more about how much energy to expend on a wierd bendy-toy oponent's arm, and also if he would sacrifice position in an attempt to take it further.

#426128 - 03/28/10 05:27 PM Re: UFC 111: SPOILERS [Re: Cord]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
One of the more entertaining UFC's I have seen in a while. Miller and Bocek put on an absolute BJJ CLINIC. One of the better displays of high-level submission grappling since maybe Tyson Griffin vs. Frankie Edgar.

Palhares - what a douchebag. Refused to stop cranking that heel hook even though the other guy tapped AND the ref told him to stop. I'm glad he got suspended, and I hope he never fights again in the UFC.

Nate Diaz looked pretty sharp at 170, overwhelming Markham with machine-gun boxing.

Dan Miragliotta. WORST. REF. EVER. Someone is going to get killed because of that incompetant as$hole. Not to mention his pointless stand-ups and clinch-breaks. What an idiot. Mir is lucky his skull is still in one piece.

Speaking of Frank, WTF?! Did he even have a gameplan against Carwin? Playing rope-a-dope against the cage with a proven KO artist was not the best strategy at all. Seriously. He made no attempt to reverse, didn't throw any strikes, nothing. Sure didn't seem like the same guy that flattened another proven KO artist in Cheick Kongo.

GSP is an absolute machine. His takedowns are utterly unstoppable, and I lost count after 7 or so. Even when Hardy managed to escape...... *BOOM*. Right back down he went. All credit due to Hardy - that guy is incredibly tough. Almost anyone else would have tapped from the armbar that GSP had him in at the end of the first, and I was impressed that he was able to roll out of that. I'll have to watch it again, because it didn't look (to me) like GSP let him out of that one. But the kimura.....that was clearly a case of GSP allowing Hardy out of that one. Maybe he didn't want to have to rip Dan's shoulder out, but I saw a moment of "fack it, he's not going to tap" go through GSP's eyes, and then he let go.

Overall, a very good card!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga