FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432450 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#424998 - 02/15/10 12:59 AM Is Iaido just sword drawing?
TaekwonDoFan Offline

I was just watching a YouTube video of an Iaido kata, and, if I may respectfully say so, it was pretty boring. All the guy did was to draw the sword and put it back.

I think kendo and kenjutsu are more interesting. And fun. But that's just me.

#425074 - 02/16/10 09:38 AM Re: Is Iaido just sword drawing? [Re: TaekwonDoFan]
iaibear Offline
Veteran

Loc: upstate New York
If I may, Iaido can depend on style, school and teacher.

I have been to seminars where the participants just follow the "moves" with no real indication of what they are portraying. That, to me, is like watching paint dry.

Being biased, I prefer the Muso Shinden Ryu style I was taught and still practice. We know and follow the bunkai. We react to what our imaginary opponent is doing and follow him with our total attention. If we perform our kata correctly (opinion) not only do we "see" our imaginary opponent, the audience can as well.

It is not just drawing the sword, it is also cutting down our attacker as efficiently as possible.

#425076 - 02/16/10 10:34 AM Re: Is Iaido just sword drawing? [Re: iaibear]
TaekwonDoFan Offline

Interesting. I don't do TKD patterns because I consider them a waste of time, but the sparring techniques, if done properly, can be good training and quite fun.

My question with Iaido is that a sword fight can require more than two or three quick strokes, and then what does the practitioner do?

I'm leaning towards kendo/kenjutsu, out of personal preference.

#425087 - 02/16/10 03:56 PM Re: Is Iaido just sword drawing? [Re: TaekwonDoFan]
iaibear Offline
Veteran

Loc: upstate New York
Originally Posted By: TaekwonDoFan

My question with Iaido is that a sword fight can require more than two or three quick strokes, and then what does the practitioner do?

I'm leaning towards kendo/kenjutsu, out of personal preference.

You follow the kata. In my Ryuha alone I have practiced over sixty (60) different kata each with its own bunkai.

BTW, kendo's weapon is a shinai, a bundle of rattan strips that bears more resemblance to an ax handle in function than a sword. My opinion.

#425097 - 02/16/10 06:46 PM Re: Is Iaido just sword drawing? [Re: iaibear]
TaekwonDoFan Offline

Do your patterns involve more than just drawing your sword?

#425101 - 02/16/10 09:34 PM Re: Is Iaido just sword drawing? [Re: TaekwonDoFan]
drgndrew Offline
< a god, > a man.
Enthusiast

Loc: Toowoomba, Qld, Australia
Iaido is the art of "drawing and cutting" with a katana.

I was once told that once the draw and immediate cuts where complete, then everything after that was Kendo (or kenjutsu) until the blade was cleaned (shaken or licked off) returned to the saya (scabbard). So if the sword is in its saya you would use Iaido if it is already out you would use kendo (more accurately ken jutsu).

The strong reliance on kata and lack of "sparring" in Iaido is due to the fact that every time the sward is drawn it is treated like a live blade, even if using a broken (wooden) sword. you simply do not use a live blade against someone unless you intend to cut them down, thus solo Kata.

Think of the two ways (iaido/iaijutsu and kendo/kenjutsu) along the lines of hand guns and their use in the old American wild west.

Iaido would be analogous with the quick draw, while kendo would be the good old shoot out (you know the ones in movies where six shooters never needed reloading)

It is also worth noting that kendo is a sport and the martial or combative applicable sister art is kenjutsu. you are more likely to find elements of Iai in kenjutsu then you would kendo, and vise versa.

kendo has kata to by the way and you are going to spend a lot of time doing two man kata in kendo compared to do in "matches" or sparring.

With Honour in Bushido
Drew Guest
www.ToowoombaSelfDefence.websyte.com.au
Bushi Dojos Self Protection
Toowoomba Self Defence

#425102 - 02/16/10 10:16 PM Re: Is Iaido just sword drawing? [Re: drgndrew]
TaekwonDoFan Offline

That seems right. I'm thinking of doing just enough iaido to learn how to draw my sword with flair, and then kendo/kenjutsu for the rest.

#425105 - 02/16/10 10:42 PM Re: Is Iaido just sword drawing? [Re: TaekwonDoFan]
drgndrew Offline
< a god, > a man.
Enthusiast

the thing is if you become proficient in Iaido/justsu then you won't need kendo/jutsu

With Honour in Bushido
Drew Guest
Toowoomba Self Defence

#425112 - 02/17/10 12:39 AM Re: Is Iaido just sword drawing? [Re: drgndrew]
TaekwonDoFan Offline

Originally Posted By: drgndrew
the thing is if you become proficient in Iaido/justsu then you won't need kendo/jutsu

Why not??? After the sword is drawn, the martial artist will still need to fight, and, from what I've been told here, Iaido doesn't do that.

#425115 - 02/17/10 03:21 AM Re: Is Iaido just sword drawing? [Re: TaekwonDoFan]
drgndrew Offline
< a god, > a man.
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: TaekwonDoFan
Originally Posted By: drgndrew

Why not??? After the sword is drawn, the martial artist will still need to fight, and, from what I've been told here, Iaido doesn't do that.

Because Iaido is drawing and cutting, have you actually looked at the Iaido kata, and had it explained to you. they may vary between schools/styles but most that I have seen include multiple cuts to multiple opponents. if you draw and cut down your opponents with Iaido then what is left to use the kendo on.

I get the feeling you are equating Iaido with just taking the sword out of the saya (as asked in the topic), thats kind of thinking that the quick draw gunfighter of the legendary west only ever drew their gun out of the holster and never pulled the trigger.

Kendo requires the sword to be drawn and held in a chosen position, before the cut is made. Iaido starts from the sheathed sword and ends with the return of the sword to its Saya. There are of course many crossovers between them and I like the idea of combining both (though again my preference would steer more towards the jutsu then the do)

Ultimately it is up to you which one you prefer, but make sure you explore the variations more then just watching a youtube video.

With Honour in Bushido
Drew Guest
Toowoomba Self Defence

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Charles Mahan, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga