FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 2
ergees 1
Victor Smith 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
Yesterday at 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 14 of 14 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14
Topic Options
#370063 - 04/06/09 12:00 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Torrance, CA
Sounds very cool, indeed! Glad you had fun.

#424349 - 01/11/10 11:13 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: butterfly]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
I went to a class run by a former kenpo student of mine, who is now a BJJ brown belt. We worked some armbar variations, starting with armbar from the guard. He had us just working position, not going to actual submission, switching sides every rep. A pretty good workout in itself, LOL. He did emphasize (after securing an arm) "climbing the body", starting with the foot on one hip, locking your other leg across the opponent's shoulder, then moving the foot that was on the opponent's hip across his other shoulder (almost like you were setting up a triangle). If you lock both legs tightly down, it makes it very difficult for the opponent to escape. Shift the leg (that was originally on the opponent's hip) across his face to lock the armbar.

We then worked the armbar from mount. The instructor showed us about getting thumbs in the opponent's armpits to help lock the opponent down. He told us to wrap our arm around (outside to in) the opponent's (whichever side we wanted to take), and put that hand in the armpit, thumbs-down. The other hand goes thumb-up. This allows you to grab the opponent's gi or chest to stop them from rolling out. Hips forward and down to isolate the arm, keeping weight on the opponent. Swing your legs around to complete the armbar.

He then showed us some rolling armbar variations from back mount, which I need a lot of work on. He also showed us a regular armbar from back-mount. Starting from over-under back-control with hooks in, you isolate the arm that you have underhooked by lifting underneath with your arm. Your other arm goes over the opponent's head, so it ends up between your head and the opponent's, pressing him down and to the side. Grab his wrist with the hand you were pushing with, and secure a figure-4. Use your arm to continue to push his head down until you can get your far-side leg over his head, lean back and secure the armbar.

He showed us a a nice sweep from butterfly guard. Starting from butterfly guard with double underhooks, you lean sideways and/or straight back to unbalance the opponent, then explode your legs up to get the opponent to land on all fours. As he does, underhook one of his legs behind his knees and pull your head over to his leg. Your legs go to X-guard, crossed in front and underneath his thigh/knee area. Secure the opponent's elbow tightly in on the same side that you have his leg in the X-guard. Push his legs out to unbalance, and take your other arm and push on his armpit to roll him to the side of his trapped arm. Take side control or mount.

He then showed us a neat sweep from spider-guard (double wrist control and feet in the hips). You take one foot and hook outside the opponent's arm, and then driving it through the opponent's armpit. Now bait the opponent by bringing your other foot across and in front of the opponent's body, forcing him to pass to the open side. As he passes pull them in and roll back, taking them off the ground. Now roll to the open side, dumping them on their back, and take sidecontrol, Gnp or whatever. He then showed us a nice rolling omoplata into armbar combo from there. Very cool!

I attempted two rounds of free-rolling. I matched with another white belt, and did fairly well for the first 3 minutes or so. I avoided some sub attempts of his, and threatened an arm-triangle of my own. Reversed position on him but gassed out at the end, after he got me in side-control and crushed me down.

Did a very short round with the instructor. We started from standing, and I attempted a few sweeps and trips. He returned the favor, and we ended up clinched. I did Ok, using head control, and fishing for underhooks. He went for a fireman's carry, and I dropped for a quick single-leg attempt, which he sprawled on beautifully. He attempted to take mount, and I *almost* reversed him (think Kimbo vs Roy Nelson), but he took side-control, and I promptly gassed again, LOL. No excuses! I am really out of shape.

I am hoping to work out with him more in the future. A fun night!

#424352 - 01/11/10 01:39 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Thanks for sharing Matt. With not training for a year I miss it a lot. My plans have always been to go back and I just need to get this body into workable order and my mind focused. Sounds like you had a good time and nice to see one of your students coming back and sharing other training with you. Hope you are doing well and continue to make progress.

#424368 - 01/12/10 09:52 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: Dereck]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

Matt,Glad to hear you got back to the mat. Feels REEEEEEAAAAAAL good don't it.:)

#424371 - 01/13/10 10:30 AM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: oldman]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Thanks, guys. It did feel good, even with all the embarrassing huffing and puffing, LOL.

#424375 - 01/13/10 08:03 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
Xibalba Offline

Loc: Lansing, MI, USA
Hey Matt!

Welcome back to the wonderful world of BJJ grin. It is good to hear you are training again. May your armbars be tight and your tapping be few and far between.

Peace,
Mike

#424664 - 02/01/10 01:29 PM Re: MattJ's BJJ log [Re: MattJ]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Did another class last night. We started off with some light free-rolling, starting from standing. He worked grips and setups for a while as we moved around, but I managed to keep him from getting anything for minute or two. I made a few attempts at sweeps and trips, and came up similarly dry. He finally did manage a falling throw on me, but I managed to come out on top, albeit in his guard.

He then worked the rubber guard, totally destroying any upright posture I had. I was somehow able to get out, but as I postured up, he scooted out and got back to his feet. I scrambled for a takedown, he sprawled, and I continued to press for a single-leg. I had his ankle, but he reached over and grabbed mine, threw his foot over, leaned back and was able to submit me with a half-guard guillotine!

He then showed me something he called the "stockade" position, which is basically what Brock Lesnar used to shut down Frank Mir at UFC 100, a Nelson variation, using the hand behind the opponent's head to pin their upper arm at the tricep:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/7/16/950704/ufc-100-bloody-elbow-judo-chop

My friend showed me the position from side-control, not half-guard, as Brock was doing, and it is indeed very hard to escape. Having one knee in my back, and the other knee high along my upper arm makes it really difficult for me to defend. From there, my friend took the leg that was against my upper arm and stepped over the arm that was pinned at the tricep. This now frees both of his hands for - you guessed it - a vicious neck crank. He grabbed around my head, and leaned back, getting the tap.

He worked a few variations from that position and then rubber guard, which I do not remember in enough detail to describe, except to say that they were all exceptionally painful, LOL. He showed us a nice variation of the omoplata, using the legs straight instead of bent when he rolled the opponent over. Surprisingly, this created a much tighter pin to the ground.

I did some more free-rolling at the end of class with another student, and was successful in getting top postion from takedowns several times. He was good with sweeps, and I resorted to simply stepping back and standing up when I knew they were coming. We also worked the ruber guard stuff, and threw in a few (light) hairgrabs, one of which helped me get a gogoplata, and the next one got me armbarred. :P

I was able to redeem myself with an ankle lock, which forced him to tap, and we called it a night after that. Another fun class.

Page 14 of 14 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga