FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 46 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 6
AndyLA 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
VDJ 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Recent Posts
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
Yesterday at 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35572 Topics
432483 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#422158 - 09/07/09 11:50 AM Re: can you teach yourself a martial art at home? [Re: Anonymous]
DojiSan Offline

Originally Posted By: Anonymous
I completely agree, hence the reason i suggested some actual training. The only difference between training at home and in a school is the lack of intercommunication between student and teacher. If you have already aquired the basics, learning from a video is ok, and only ok, you will never become a master and my green sashses could probably win in a fight, regardless of how long you study at home. Home study is only meant as a facilitator, it can help, but it is not complete. No one could ever get even their first dregree balck sash without a live test, meaning no correspondence no tapes. Our tests are a very long ordeal, consisting of demonstrating your knowledge of each basic technique apprx. 160 strikes kicks and blocks 100 unarmed self defense combinations, and 50 more against armed opponents while you are unarmed, and 14 advanced forms, one weapons form, and then after all that, you get to take on five Blacksashes for five minutes, without getting knocked out or losing. You cannot train for this with our videos, you need to train in a school or you will never make it, the average test takes about 8 hours

Just a quick question, right at this minute can you perform all those techniques, self-defense, combination that you talked about in your post above? How much of it do you remember? I was just wondering..

Also how did the original masters of their art learn the moves, if they were the original masters? Could it be that they learned on their own and no one thought them? Just wondering..

Edited by DojiSan (09/07/09 11:52 AM)
Edit Reason: added comments

#422272 - 09/11/09 04:35 PM Re: can you teach yourself a martial art at home? [Re: multistyles10]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: East Coast, United States
We can learn at home but only so far. Can I develop powerful techniques... strengthen my willpower, sure. That power, that strengthening will only go so far.

Other bodies, other people are required at some point in our training to determine if we are precise and correct in our technical execution. THey determine how accurately we have engrained the most basic, fundamental ideas.

Once we have worked with faster, larger, more intense, more tenacious training partners, as well as those slower, less willing, more cautious partners we slowly hone ourselves farther by those interactions.

Is it enough that I can kick through rocks, if I never learned to control that power? If I do the simple escape(s) alone, will I do it correctly... or will a partner, another body to practice with make obvious important errors, flaws we make but alone were unaware?

Yes practice alone is a wonderful thing, and it is a start. Further along in training it is very important to hone and refine very small errors, tiny flaws.

Partners make some things very easy which alone will not happen nearly as fast. Start where you are and go forward from there

Jeff

#422497 - 09/23/09 01:26 PM Re: can you teach yourself a martial art at home? [Re: multistyles10]
FightTough Offline

Loc: Boston , Ma
Hey there let me start by telling you YES it is possible. It is not hard to do it is not expensive it's all on how dedicated you are to learning! Some ways of starting you home MMA would be simple reading. Learn as much as you can online. You could use youtube you could read forums and websites or even buy some guides. But remember that MMA can be practiced at home just buy simple boxing/ufc gloves or anything else maybe some shinguards maybe a punching bag and if not any of these find a friend. Start to practice what you learned with your friend. Your body has two types of muscles. Muscle A which is your size and Muscle B which is your hitting muscle. When i say hitting muscle i mean how hard you hit. You could be 150 pounds knocking out people twice your size in one hit! The more you use your muscle B as in striking the stronger you will hit. There are many ways just get creative! Hope i helped

#422632 - 09/30/09 11:25 PM Re: can you teach yourself a martial art at home? [Re: FightTough]
Raul Perez Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Lake Ronkonkoma, NY, USA
Originally Posted By: FightTough
Hey there let me start by telling you YES it is possible. It is not hard to do it is not expensive it's all on how dedicated you are to learning! Some ways of starting you home MMA would be simple reading. Learn as much as you can online. You could use youtube you could read forums and websites or even buy some guides. But remember that MMA can be practiced at home just buy simple boxing/ufc gloves or anything else maybe some shinguards maybe a punching bag and if not any of these find a friend. Start to practice what you learned with your friend. Your body has two types of muscles. Muscle A which is your size and Muscle B which is your hitting muscle. When i say hitting muscle i mean how hard you hit. You could be 150 pounds knocking out people twice your size in one hit! The more you use your muscle B as in striking the stronger you will hit. There are many ways just get creative! Hope i helped

In the words of Dr. Evil... "How about NO you crazy dutch b@stard"

#423057 - 10/22/09 02:45 AM Re: can you teach yourself a martial art at home? [Re: Raul Perez]
Jeff_G Offline

Loc: Midwest
It is kind of funny that this same question came up over at SCUBA Board. As I said there, the answer to self teaching from videos is...no.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga