FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
Yesterday at 11:35 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432450 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#423429 - 11/06/09 01:43 PM Re: Pure styles vs MMA [Re: medulanet]
everyone Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: USA
A "non-sporting" technique is one that is intended to, and has the capability of, causing permanent injury or worse.

#423430 - 11/06/09 02:03 PM Re: Pure styles vs MMA [Re: medulanet]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
Thats likely true, though do we train only the things that are taught in the Gym/Dojo?

I remember the first UFC's when the only things against the rules were biting and eye gouging. Ah, the good ol' days.

#423431 - 11/06/09 02:42 PM Re: Pure styles vs MMA [Re: everyone]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Originally Posted By: everyone
A "non-sporting" technique is one that is intended to, and has the capability of, causing permanent injury or worse.

Many sparring techniques (especially in MMA) would fit that description.

#423441 - 11/06/09 07:43 PM Re: Pure styles vs MMA [Re: MattJ]
IExcalibui2 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York City
honestly, any technique can cause good harm out there. Of course exercise some caution when engaging in something like sparring. And even more caution if you're going for like an eye gouge or a punch to the throat.

#423458 - 11/08/09 02:54 AM Re: Pure styles vs MMA [Re: IExcalibui2]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

Loc: Bellingham, WA
Ways to look at martial arts training:

For sport
For fitness
For fun
For combatives
For self defense (different than combatives)
For culture study

Why go at it just one way? If you embrace all six of these views on MA training, you'll never run out of reasons to keep learning and sweating. I think that's the pinnacle of what MMA should mean. Like it's already been said, the methodology is different than the prescribed 'system'.

#425161 - 02/17/10 01:07 PM Re: Pure styles vs MMA [Re: ShikataGaNai]
IExcalibui2 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York City
Shikata

I agree, though I don't train for sport I do essentially train for all the other reasons you listed. It makes training that much more enjoyable and enlightening. Thats why I enjoy training in just about all martial arts, because theres always something to learn. Whether its the application & fighting aspects of the art or the culture! Its the educational experience I get that makes martial arts fun for me. If I had all the time and money in the world, I'd go and train in every single martial art out there....i'll just keep dreaming

#428042 - 07/02/10 02:43 AM Re: Pure styles vs MMA [Re: IExcalibui2]
ninpopo Offline

Loc: Africa *drums starts playing i...
idk how old this thread is but i would like to add my opinion, traditional kung fu as mentioned earlier in the thread wont always be applicable in modern day life threatening situations.
Remember Kung Fu was orignated in a time where people ran around with swords and bows and arrows, long staffs etc, those were normal back then, but obviously not today.

A lot of the kung fu tactics were meant to deal with those type of weaponry and fighting styles, where MMA isnt. MMA in my opinion is merely for entertainment, imagine this, if youre attacked by a bunch of thugs, would you want to get one of them in a foot lock or would you rather fight them off with a style like Wing Chun and get out alive?

I do strongly believe that MMA is the wrong name for the brute like brawl happening in the cage, Kung Fu, Aikido, Karate etc are martial ARTS, there is a more delicate artistic side to it as well, which you dont see in MMA.

#428043 - 07/02/10 03:25 AM Re: Pure styles vs MMA [Re: ninpopo]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

FWIW I don't think ANY unarmed Martial Art is going to be overly useful against multiple opponents. Equation may change if the defender has a weapon and knows how to use it, but having drilled multilple atttacker situations many many times in Aikido were the attackers could do what they wanted (grappling, some striking).

The Aikido instructor encouraged the people defending to try whatever they thought might work against multiple attackers. No one ever faired well, even people who studied other systems like Wado Ryu, TKD and MMA. They were good martial artists who had years (some had decades) of experience, but they just couldn't do much against multiple attackers. Even using pure Aikido, at best all we could do was avoid the attackers for so long.

So from the point of view defending against multiples, I don't think it makes much difference whether you study Traditional unarmed fighting or modern MMA. Just my opinion.

#428049 - 07/02/10 06:46 AM Re: Pure styles vs MMA [Re: ninpopo]
MastaFighta Offline

Loc: United States
Originally Posted By: ninpopo
MMA in my opinion is merely for entertainment, imagine this, if youre attacked by a bunch of thugs, would you want to get one of them in a foot lock or would you rather fight them off with a style like Wing Chun and get out alive?

Neither, I would run away.

I do strongly believe that MMA is the wrong name for the brute like brawl happening in the cage, Kung Fu, Aikido, Karate etc are martial ARTS, there is a more delicate artistic side to it as well, which you dont see in MMA.

MMA isn't a martial art, it's a rule-set.

And, "art" as it's used in "martial art" refers to skills, techniques and principles of combat, just as the "art" of "art of war" refers to the strategies, tactics and principles of warfare. It has nothing to do with aesthetics or a "delicate artistic side," as you put it.

Edited by MastaFighta (07/02/10 06:56 AM)

#428052 - 07/02/10 07:27 AM Re: Pure styles vs MMA [Re: ninpopo]
sstefan Offline

A lot of the kung fu tactics were meant to deal with those type of weaponry and fighting styles, where MMA isnt. MMA in my opinion is merely for entertainment, imagine this, if youre attacked by a bunch of thugs, would you want to get one of them in a foot lock or would you rather fight them off with a style like Wing Chun and get out alive?

MMA doesn't teach only ground fighting, has a very good standing fighting and clinch work. And if you get the rules out of MMA i assure you that it would be a very brutal and deadly fighting system. What if you studied Wing Chun and you are attacked by a thug by surprise and he takes you to the ground and mounts you, what do you do then if you didn't trained in ground fighting?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, Gavin, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga