FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 53 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
MattJ 2
UKfightfreak 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#423031 - 10/20/09 10:44 AM Re: Pure styles vs MMA [Re: DeadlyKnuckles]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
MMA isnt simply wrestling and boxing. Though that is what most people who practice MMa choose, MMA simply means mixed martial arts. Whether you mix Wing Chun with Shotokan, or Muay Thai with BJJ, its still MMA.

With that said, MMA schools that adopt these "Hard Styles" Like Western Boxing will tend to have tougher students IMO because less time is taken away from the student learning forms and flowery movements, and more time is emphasized on application against resistance. and thats fighting, application against resistance. Point sparring and forms is not.

#423036 - 10/20/09 01:37 PM Re: Pure styles vs MMA [Re: BigWiggly]
everyone Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: USA
Hey BigWiggly,

IMO people tend to generalize TMA training too much. I think it came from a MMA marketing strategy to create a weak TMA stereo-type. There are many good TMA schools who train realisticly and produce effective fighters. There are even kung fu schools (although rare) that teach ground fighting skills as part of their art (not a BJJ immitation).

Most of my personal experience is training in traditional kung fu. I have also trained for a short time in a strictly MMA school. In my experience, MMA didn't add anything - it just removed some things to make it viable for competition. MMA did not emerge out of a vacuum, it's roots are in TMA.

#423067 - 10/22/09 05:00 PM Re: Pure styles vs MMA [Re: Prizewriter]
JMWcorwin Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SoCal, USA
Great vid Prizewriter. Clear and concise. I'll have to pass that along to a few people. Thanks.

#423091 - 10/24/09 09:05 AM Re: Pure styles vs MMA [Re: Chen Zen]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Originally Posted By: Chen Zen
MMA isnt simply wrestling and boxing. Though that is what most people who practice MMa choose, MMA simply means mixed martial arts. Whether you mix Wing Chun with Shotokan, or Muay Thai with BJJ, its still MMA.

Agreed, Chen. And to expand on that slightly, MMA is not simply this or that style style mixed together - it is the process of fighting in all ranges simultaneously. As such, it is a method (or style) unto itself.

#423095 - 10/24/09 12:12 PM Re: Pure styles vs MMA [Re: Chen Zen]
medulanet Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA
With that said, MMA schools that adopt these "Hard Styles" Like Western Boxing will tend to have tougher students IMO because less time is taken away from the student learning forms and flowery movements, and more time is emphasized on application against resistance. and thats fighting, application against resistance. Point sparring and forms is not.

Looks like resistance to me. Maybe its not what you do, but how you do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5faGD5b6Zw

#423098 - 10/24/09 02:08 PM Re: Pure styles vs MMA [Re: medulanet]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Agreed, Med - although the "point sparring" they were doing is miles away from what is normally thought of in that respect. No doubt that Elwyn Hall was a fantastic fighter, and would have probably done well in the UFC (with a bit of submission defense, of course).

#423111 - 10/25/09 06:14 PM Re: Pure styles vs MMA [Re: MattJ]
IExcalibui2 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York City
you need resistance and aliveness for application, sometimes it comes in different forms whether its an mma match or point sparring.

however, in that video his skill is tested only up to a certain point. As your skills get better so does the resistance. If you can handle yourself against another karateka then next step is to maybe spar with non-karate people. Slowly taking away the rules to the point where its MMA.

#423257 - 10/30/09 12:40 PM Re: Pure styles vs MMA [Re: medulanet]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Not a bad vid, but not exactly what is thought of as point sparring, though it has contact and resistance its still stop and go and one dimensional in its approach.

#423261 - 10/30/09 02:49 PM Re: Pure styles vs MMA [Re: Chen Zen]
medulanet Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA
Not a bad vid, but not exactly what is thought of as point sparring, though it has contact and resistance its still stop and go and one dimensional in its approach.

But that's just it, ALL sport fighting (competition with rules to enhance its entertainment and "sportive" value rather than a realistic measure of fighting ability) is limited. Boxing is one dimensional and MMA's rules severely affects one's fighting to create an unrealistic approach to fighting, while a good format is also limiting with the stand ups and limiting striking on the ground rules. Not that point fighting is the end all and be all of anything because it clearly is not. However, it is one dimensional because is was developed to develop one dimension of fighting.

#423320 - 11/02/09 09:12 AM Re: Pure styles vs MMA [Re: medulanet]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

True, its all got its limits. We need Kumite, to the Death, like Bloodsport. grin

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, Gavin, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga