FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 21 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
BUJU, Pilsungkarate, ALF, old1, Leonar
22928 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 2
futsaowingchun 2
ergees 2
cxt 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
Yesterday at 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
Yesterday at 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
Yesterday at 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Forum Stats
22928 Members
36 Forums
35584 Topics
432513 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#421880 - 08/26/09 12:19 PM "Are weapons realistic in the Martial Arts? "
qksilver Offline

"Are weapons realistic in the Martial Arts? "

If one is to be able to protect themselves against a weapon or attack it is important for them to get an understanding of the weapons that might be used. There are two main philosophies behind my thoughts on weapons in the martial arts:

You do not tell someone not to play with guns, you teach them how to be safe with guns.

If you train with the weapon you will be more prepared to understand its strengths and weaknesses.

The first thing one must realize when confronting weapons (whether blades or baseball bats) is the possibility of getting hit or cut. You must except that fact if you are to properly defend yourself. Another factor concerning weapons is the ability to jam and use circular movements during self-defense.

What should you do when confronted with a weapon?
1. If possible - run

2. Do not corner or trap yourself

3. Look for possible obstacles to put between you and your attacker.

4. Jam the attack, do not allow your attacker the opportunity to hit twice.

5. Protect your vital points without sacrificing your defense abilities.

6. Focus on your opponent not his weapon.

Mind Set

When defending against a blade wielding assailant or assailants, one must first accept the possibility of being cut. If one does not accept this likely chance of being wounded, it could result in unnecessary movements and incorrect timing. Fear of getting cut must be overrun with the fear of losing your life. Remember, the knife is just an object (harmless by itself), it is the attacker you are fighting not the blade. Defending against a blade attack is not easy and the focus of training should be directed towards increasing your chances of survival. Your objective is to survive. Sometimes it is important to sacrifice an area of the body to the blade in order to improve chances for escape or to surprise and overcome your opponent.

advertising deleted

Edited by MattJ (08/28/09 07:41 PM)

#421960 - 08/28/09 05:00 PM Re: "Are weapons realistic in the Martial Arts? " [Re: qksilver]
duanew Offline

Loc: MN
Dear Rick,
I think there may be some rules against using this forum to advertise for your business-you might want to check with the moderators before you start any more threads that lead into your businesses links.

#421969 - 08/29/09 10:53 AM Re: "Are weapons realistic in the Martial Arts? " [Re: qksilver]
karl314285 Offline

Loc: The Matrix, Serif is Teacher
Hi,

Weapon training in the MA is not just knife, nor knife self defense.

The Japanese and Chinese weapons, as they are learned and integrated translate to use of everyday objects...

This happens to me a lot...

one example...as I have been training 9 section chain whip slowly I start to see things around me as potential chain whips...ones belt for example is like a chain whip, also very like nunchaku (esp. in weapon arm trapping and disarming.

Just cause I like Cheese...in "Romeo Must Die" Jet Li uses a fire hose as a rope dart, the belt thing came to me when studying the nunchaku but was elevated (hate harping on a highly skilled MA in movies), Jet Li uses his belt as a chain whip to fend off Katana wielding Billy Chow in the best MA movie on the planet, "Fist of Legend" a tribute to Bruce Lee but done subtly different.

The more weapons one trains the more one can use "things" as weapons...also one knows when to not be "attached" to ones weapon.

A thought to ponder...

Karl. Peace.

#422361 - 09/15/09 08:42 AM Re: "Are weapons realistic in the Martial Arts? " [Re: karl314285]
Ives Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: the Netherlands
I don't understand the question asked in contribution to the text presented.
"Are weapons realistic in the Martial Arts?"

If you mean the flashy bo / nunchaku etc. acrobatics seen in many tournament settings, then no - not realistic.

If you look at genuine kobudo / arnis, then yes. Weapons are realistic in training. And by training in these weaponsystems, you can get an idea on attacks and defense.
You can even see, as Karl stated, possible subsitutes of these weapons.

Guns are a whole different story in my oppinion.

#422578 - 09/28/09 10:40 PM Re: "Are weapons realistic in the Martial Arts? " [Re: Ives]
BigWiggly Offline

Loc: Ohio
I agree with Ives, there are competitions that use flattery with weapons to make them look pretty and/or threatening, but they have lost their fundamental purpose. The studio where I study teaches 72 traditional shaolin weapons as well as many others, but when we go up for rank, we can get "bonus points" sort of deal if we can substitute weapons in a realistic environment, (belts, umbrellas, golf clubs). I dont agree with the guns statement though, as I believe if you know enough empty handed weapons then you could potentialy use guns yourself in concert with martial arts. on the other hand, if you're getting shot at, you better have a gun, or something to hide behind.

Weapons are an important of the martial arts, when used properly.

(also good for strength training!)

#422620 - 09/30/09 02:10 PM Re: "Are weapons realistic in the Martial Arts? " [Re: BigWiggly]
Kathryn Offline

Loc: Washington, DC
I'll second the comments on asian weaponry -- serious, fast training that is required even if you do empty hands arts. It is generally accepted that the wooden weapons are every bit as deadly as the bladed, and that neither one has automatic superiority in a fight.

I think the 'flashiness' factor may depend on the regional style.

Edited by Kathryn (09/30/09 02:15 PM)

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga