FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 68 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 3
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
cxt 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#421595 - 08/15/09 01:46 PM Re: Fred Ettish to fight MMA again? [Re: Cord]
duanew Offline

Loc: MN
Originally Posted By: Cord
What Mr Ettish discovered, in a very public way, was that things that work 'in theory' do not translate smoothly to reality.

Ok, I give up...what theory would that be?

#421598 - 08/15/09 02:02 PM Re: Fred Ettish to fight MMA again? [Re: duanew]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
well, the scissor thing he tried from the floor, the guard he had in stand up, that led to him being on the floor are two good examples.

This really isnt open to debate, as his training and fight plan will be completely different in this, his second competetive fight. He knows he got it wrong last time out, and he has spent the last near 2 decades putting it right.

If he were not your friend, you would not be defending his 1st performance. Its not like I have even been unpleasant or disrespectful. He was a martial artist who entered a fight, and found that what he thought would work, didnt. Now he is a fighter entering a fight. Thats a huge difference, and it will show come tonight.

#421603 - 08/15/09 04:19 PM Re: Fred Ettish to fight MMA again? [Re: Cord]
Fletch1 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Florida
Touche' and well said Mr. Cord. As an LE trainer as well as BJJ school owner and instructor, I remember the "Old School" Ground Defense and just how ineffective it was. It has largely been abandoned in LE/ Military Combatives for just that reason.... That is, if the guy knocks you down and sticks around (doesn't run away), the position and it's options fall apart under the pressure of of a credible attack.

I was taught this position in a LE DT Instructor Course as it was part of the Florida State Curriculum for recruit academies. The instructor was a firm believer in it's effectiveness until he challenged someone to get past his legs. Rule 235, don't challenge a group of people unless you are willing to take the chance that someone there knows how to do what you think is impossible. It was ugly.

I would love to see Ettish go out on a high note. He comes across as very respectful on forums and was unfairly flamed over the years in spite of him stepping up. We should remember however, that in his fight with Rhodes, he was overmatched...period, on top of having little athletic skill that crossed over effectively to the event itself. If he has taken steps to rectify that and has learned how to actually fight in the athletic sense that will be measured in MMA, then win or lose, he will redeem himself.

If not, expect another beatdown.

Edited by Fletch1 (08/15/09 04:26 PM)

#421614 - 08/16/09 02:43 AM Re: Fred Ettish to fight MMA again? [Re: Cord]
duanew Offline

Fred Ettish wins at 3:20 (= or -) in the first round. Fight stopped by the referee because of punches. Fred came into the ring at 159 pounds, his opponent at 171. His opponent was probably the age of his son.
The crowd was supportive as he entered the ring. He paused at the door and then leapt into the ring through the door landing heavily on both feet as if to say..I'm back-to the crowds pleasure.
The fight started out with both fighters feeling the other out. His opponent was clearly nervous and was jumping up into the air a little each time he kicked. I don't know if that was the cause of it but the fight was stopped briefly after he recieved a low kick to the groin.
The fight continued to the ground and they locked up-couldn't see exactly what was happening do to the poor seats and a flag in the way.
The referee stood them up after awhile and they closed with punches. They clinched and Ettish took his opponent to the ground with a nice throw/takedown, quickly passing his guard to the mount. The ground and pound began and the fight was stopped by the referee.
I told Fred to score one for the old farts and he said something about his AARP card. I didn't stick around for the celebration as it was way after my bed time.

Duane

#421615 - 08/16/09 02:53 AM Re: Fred Ettish to fight MMA again? [Re: Cord]
duanew Offline

Originally Posted By: Cord

If he were not your friend, you would not be defending his 1st performance. Its not like I have even been unpleasant or disrespectful. He was a martial artist who entered a fight, and found that what he thought would work, didnt. Now he is a fighter entering a fight. Thats a huge difference, and it will show come tonight.

Cord,
I just wanted a clarification on what you meant. Defending his performance...he held his hands low and got clobbered-no doubt about that.
I was trying to offer up an explanation to the "Fetal Fighting position" not defend the results. By the way I have used it at least twice in the real world and it worked fine. Now we know more so we have changed what we do.
NO doubt that Fred is a differant fighter now. It would be nice if people would now judge him by this performance and not the last one.
Thanks for your support and everyone else's.

Duane

#421618 - 08/16/09 06:10 AM Re: Fred Ettish to fight MMA again? [Re: duanew]
Cord Offline
Prolific

I am absolutely delighted that he not only won, but did so convincingly.

You never know, Dana is a shrewd marketing man, and with a strong win over a young guy, he might offer Mr Ettish an undercard chance to balance the books infront of a wider audience wink

#421620 - 08/16/09 09:19 AM Re: Fred Ettish to fight MMA again? [Re: Cord]
duanew Offline

When asked about his future plans he said-let's see how this goes and we'll take it from there.His comment to me after the fight was-It wasn't pretty but I got it done.

Duane

#421621 - 08/16/09 10:05 AM Re: Fred Ettish to fight MMA again? [Re: duanew]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Congrats to Fred! Redemption much be so sweet for him now. Cheers!

#421636 - 08/16/09 08:31 PM Re: Fred Ettish to fight MMA again? [Re: MattJ]
duanew Offline

Here's the video it's a little dark but you get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-Mv-NXKCZQ

Duane

#421643 - 08/17/09 05:49 AM Re: Fred Ettish to fight MMA again? [Re: duanew]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Looked pretty shaky in the 1st minute or so, but I can imagine that the pressure he put on himself to not lose quickly was enormous. He warmed to the task after surviving the guillotine attempt, and the strikes and throw from the clinch were lovely cool

His hair cut is better as well wink

Good work all round smile

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga