FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 52 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
royal 2
Galen 2
MattJ 2
Dobbersky 2
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
General perspective on training
by Galen
Today at 04:05 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
I am not often inspired
by Galen
01/13/14 07:28 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
General perspective on training
by Galen
Today at 04:05 PM
I am not often inspired
by Galen
Today at 04:03 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
Today at 06:52 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35547 Topics
432379 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Topic Options
#422131 - 09/04/09 05:50 PM Re: Should TKD patterns be scrapped? [Re: Dereck]
Supremor Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
With respect Dereck, I don't think Earl is doing that. He is merely pointing out an article that he wrote that made a certain argument, some of which I agree with. It is probably easier for him than writing a new article from scratch, just for us!

It is interesting for me to note that the article was written in 1989, long before mma had become popular in mainstream culture. I wonder if it would be too much to ask Earl if and how his ideas have been changed since the writing of that article, and whether mma has played any role in that.

#422132 - 09/04/09 06:14 PM Re: Should TKD patterns be scrapped? [Re: Supremor]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Supremor, I think that is an excellent idea. I must say, you are very intelligent in many of your responses and how you handle things. Props.

#422133 - 09/04/09 09:20 PM Re: Should TKD patterns be scrapped? [Re: Dereck]
Supremor Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
pffff, I'm a politics student haha!

#422135 - 09/05/09 06:58 AM Re: Should TKD patterns be scrapped? [Re: Supremor]
EarlWeiss Offline

Originally Posted By: Supremor
With respect Dereck, I don't think Earl is doing that. He is merely pointing out an article that he wrote that made a certain argument, some of which I agree with. It is probably easier for him than writing a new article from scratch, just for us!

It is interesting for me to note that the article was written in 1989, long before mma had become popular in mainstream culture. I wonder if it would be too much to ask Earl if and how his ideas have been changed since the writing of that article, and whether mma has played any role in that.

FWIW I don't know if any of the ideas in the 1989 article have changed, but they have certainly expanded. This had little to do with MMA and more to do with the current hot topic of "Real Applications" for patterns. I had an article published in Totaly TKD this year which addressed this in part.

The basic theme is this. Dilman would often say patterns teach us "Angle and Drection" . I asked what the difference was between angle and direction? He said it was basicaly the same thing. General Choi's text references distance and direction.
Also, as Gneral Choi would teach he would review the purpose of the move and go thru a scenario where a hypothetical student said the purpose was different than the text. The resolution as to what the purpose was depended on if the hypothetical studen't idea made sense.

So, as I sstated in the article, my thought is that the stated application is there to help students learn distance, direction, angle of applicaton, Angle and level of attack. Generating poswer in a practicaly efficient and table manner, and from my RMCAT experience, using exagerated motions to overcome adrenal stress truncation effects which mke movements smaller and less effective.

With these ideas in mind, how th motion is used, whether it be a "Block" , "Attack" or nay number of things is limited only by pracical considerations concerning how the motion can be applied.

So, in conclusion, the focus should initialy be on stated applications to learn angles, levels, distance and direction. Learning so called Real, or alternate applications will help broaden the focus to where I now believe it should be. Generating power with practical efficiency in a well balanced motion so that it can be applied in an inumerable number of applications limited only by realistic considerations.

#422147 - 09/06/09 09:44 AM Re: Should TKD patterns be scrapped? [Re: EarlWeiss]
matxtx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: england
I would just like to see Taekwondo use another way to grade people other than patterns. If people want to do them fair enough I just dont think they give any indication of how a person can deal with another who attacks them violently or forces them to fight back.

#422163 - 09/07/09 05:12 PM Re: Should TKD patterns be scrapped? [Re: Dereck]
EarlWeiss Offline

Originally Posted By: Dereck
No disrespect intended, but because one can publish an article in the TKD Times doesn't mean it is correct; that is the opinion of the writer only. If I were to get an article published in MMA Magazine and then link it here would he make the argument change? No it wouldn't. So that there is an article in the TKD Times, a magazine solely for promoting TKD, I don't really hold that in too high of regard especially with all that TKD is today.

Well certainly the author:) Of course there are the 8 other noteables (Among them, Chuck Norris, Funakoshi, General Choi Hong Hi, Robert Trias, John Funk, Floyd Burk. ) referred to in the article as well.

#422187 - 09/08/09 02:08 PM Re: Should TKD patterns be scrapped? [Re: EarlWeiss]
TroTro Offline

As compare to other systems that use pattern(s) as training method --- like Chinese King Fu (such as Wing Chu, Tai Chi ...), Boxing (shadow-boxing), certain Karate family, etc --- we would see practitioners of those systems "often" use techniques resemble to their patterns training, under the condition which the individual is free to decide which tool to use (it can be stuff they learn from from patterns, drills, hitting the bags/pats, step sparring, free sparring, sports/competition ...)

I had a friend that his family is teaching Wing Chu. From what I seen is they clearly apply the moves are shown in their patterns. (And lets not debate the effectiveness of Wing Chu's training method, I think it is a different topic). However, they also do pattern training on a wooden dummy, which TKD don't use.

I am not sure how other fellow TKDer feel, as for myself in situations which I would apply things from TKD, very few comes from TKD's pattern training.

#422466 - 09/22/09 12:39 PM Re: Should TKD patterns be scrapped? [Re: TroTro]
EFRAIN Offline

Loc: Paterson, NJ USA
I don't think patterns should be scrapped. I didn't read all the previous post on here so if I am repeating this my apologies.

TKD patterns should not be scrapped, maybe adjusted slightly because times change and we are not in the 1800's or the 1940's. I think that patters are an essential part of Martial Arts specially the mental side of it.

What I've noticed about TKD patterns is that there is no INTENTION behind the moves, behind the art itself, behind the person executing the moves. I see people all over training without intention. They sparr/fight without intention, the patterns are done without intention. Somehow sloppiness/laziness became accepted in the arts probably due to all the McDOjos out there, IDK.

I've been training TKD for 12 years and I am fortunate enough to have a Master that does not slack, is on our ass every single minute about how to do things correctly not from his perspective but scientifically and realistically. The patterns have to, should be done with intention, you got to mean what your doing, understand it, visualize it, Once the person understands that then they can apply whatever is useful in a reality situation.

Bow out with respect from MARTIALIST

#423093 - 10/24/09 09:57 AM Re: Should TKD patterns be scrapped? [Re: Dereck]
von1 Offline

(quote)

It has been proven over and over that highly trained traditional martial artists that enter a MMA ring generally lose. And I will even boldly stand behind that if the two ever went head to head in the streets with no refs that the outcome would still be the same.

(end quote)

Derrick,

I agree with the first part of this statement but not the second part.
Yes most times when a traditionally trained martial artists enters an MMA ring they lose, but there is a reason for this.

TKD and many other arts are considered to be hard style fighting systems, meaning that if tought correctly and regarding SD, every blow delivered is ment to cause serious damage to vital body areas. Most of the main targets of a hard style fighting systems are elimated for the sake of competition and safty.

MMA competition rules are more liberal than other competition rules witch allows for better entertainment but this does not mean that these fighters would fair any better in the street where SD is concerned. In the street the trained fighter may be aiming for the chin but the traditionally trained hard style fighting system MA"s with SD in mind will be aiming about 3 inches below the chin. MMA training is a fantastic way to train to fight no argument there, but I still view SD as totally different than fighting. One should never raise a fist unless ones health or life are threatend and if this is the case things should end as quickly as possible and one can not accomplish this by implementing standard fighting methods, but they can accomplish it by implementing traditionally trained SD techniques. The problem is many TKD schools teach some form of fighting and call it SD and don"t even know the difference, if this is the case you would be correct in stating that the MMA guy would fair better in the street because yes, many MMA schools do a very good job of preparing their fighters to fight.

Edited by von1 (10/24/09 10:36 AM)

Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga