FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 51 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
TooNice 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#426224 - 03/31/10 10:55 AM Re: Alex Gilles interviews GM CK Choi [Re: ITFunity]
TaekwonDoFan Offline

Originally Posted By: ITFunity
Originally Posted By: TaekwonDoFan
My problem with these debates is that the Cold War is long over, and North Korea (and Cuba) are lonely holdouts to a failed ideology. So I don't care about communist TKD versus capitalist TKD, because, as Bruce Lee says, a kick is a kick, a punch is a punch.

Yes the "Cold War" is over. But with Korea it is at an all time height of tension, reference to the SK Navy ship that sank in the waters close to the disputed border with NK, that NK never accepted the UN designation for. This is fact & it does impact TKD politics more than people suspect.

Absolutely. I have always said we should use military means to liberate the North. But no master is going to side with North Korea these days, so, in that sense, international politics have nothing to do with the fragmentation of ITF TKD.

#426235 - 03/31/10 05:28 PM Re: Alex Gilles interviews GM CK Choi [Re: flynch]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
flynch

Was that your foot that broke those 3 boards?

This thread has totally turned into one of those karate threads were they discuss forms. And all because of the sign wave? How about discuss how you put that sign wave to use in sparring. If it can be. At least if it can be done the same way its done in the patterns.

This is something that never happens in Olympic style schools since the training is focused on being functional for sparring.

Flynch if that is your kick, i just have to say

"Boards don't hit back"
Vinci

#426236 - 03/31/10 05:51 PM Re: Alex Gilles interviews GM CK Choi [Re: trevek]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
OMG are you serious...they asked you to hiss instead of kihap? That's super picky.

Following the class rituals that's okay. But your kihap should be something that comes from within and it's usually unique. Usually people put their own comfortable spin on it. It's like a private trade mark.

Did you really have the nerve to say that to the instructor?
Vinci

#426237 - 03/31/10 06:00 PM Re: Alex Gilles interviews GM CK Choi [Re: TeK9]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
Originally Posted By: TeK9
OMG are you serious...they asked you to hiss instead of kihap? That's super picky.

Yep, the senior instructor took me aside and said (in Polish), "In TKD, it isn't 'huuuah!' it's 'tssss'." The thing was, all the kids were giggling. I'd been training in non-ITF clubs and WTF clubs, so this was new to me.

Following the class rituals that's okay. But your kihap should be something that comes from within and it's usually unique. Usually people put their own comfortable spin on it. It's like a private trade mark.

Did you really have the nerve to say that to the instructor?

Well, I was a guest, so I didn't really think it was polite to argue (and I couldn't speak any Polish at the time, anyway).

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#426239 - 03/31/10 06:55 PM Re: Alex Gilles interviews GM CK Choi [Re: trevek]
TaekwonDoFan Offline

A master said we should shout, "Ai yah!" And get the "Ai" before the "yah". smile

#426243 - 03/31/10 08:37 PM Re: Alex Gilles interviews GM CK Choi [Re: TaekwonDoFan]
ITFunity Offline
Professional Poster

Originally Posted By: TaekwonDoFan
Absolutely. I have always said we should use military means to liberate the North. But no master is going to side with North Korea these days, so, in that sense, international politics have nothing to do with the fragmentation of ITF TKD.

I couldn't disagree more. International politics have more to do with the ITF fragmentation than probably any other factor. Gen Choi used TKD & the ITF to further his political agenda. This is what was a major factor in the breaking up of the ITF. The inter-Korean politics is also a big factor with the ITF & WTF issues as well. Very complicated situation, but it is most definately international politics that has played such a role for far too long in TKD

#426246 - 04/01/10 12:56 AM Re: Alex Gilles interviews GM CK Choi [Re: TeK9]
flynch Offline

flynch

Was that your foot that broke those 3 boards?

This thread has totally turned into one of those karate threads were they discuss forms. And all because of the sign wave? How about discuss how you put that sign wave to use in sparring. If it can be. At least if it can be done the same way its done in the patterns.

This is something that never happens in Olympic style schools since the training is focused on being functional for sparring.

Flynch if that is your kick, i just have to say

"Boards don't hit back"

Yes but it was 4 boards and sometimes the fourth boad ricochets and then you have to dodge out of the way...lol

No you can't/don't use sine wave in sparring thats the point of the discussion. The sparring patterns are taught as an addition and in a way address this issue.

#426247 - 04/01/10 12:59 AM Re: Alex Gilles interviews GM CK Choi [Re: TeK9]
flynch Offline

We are taught not to make noise and to disguise our breath.

No hisses and no Kiaps

#426252 - 04/01/10 03:08 AM Re: Alex Gilles interviews GM CK Choi [Re: flynch]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
Originally Posted By: flynch
We are taught not to make noise and to disguise our breath.

No hisses and no Kiaps

Has that always been the case? I mean, even in Japanese karate, they have the kia. WTF dojangs resound with the sound of kihapping and the TAGB used to use them at the end of the tul (whereas ITF say the name of the tul).

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#426267 - 04/01/10 05:29 PM Re: Alex Gilles interviews GM CK Choi [Re: trevek]
flynch Offline

No I think it is a GM CK Choi thing only. His theory is more like you train like you fight. So when you do patterns or any techniques you should breath out on each technique but not be obvious about it. You will breath out through your nose.

He thinks that in fighting having uncontrolled breathing its a tell tail sign that somebody is tired and you would just be giving a smart fighter an additional piece of info to use against you.

If you walk around brething in and out with an obvious noise somebody could more easily time and position thier strike while your breathing in and wind you. He says that is his personnal experience from all his years fighting both in sport and on the street while being a bouncer.

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga