FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
Matakiant 1
cxt 1
ergees 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by cxt
10/10/14 10:08 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432509 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#426173 - 03/30/10 10:49 AM Re: Alex Gilles interviews GM CK Choi [Re: Fruitloopy]
ITFunity Offline
Professional Poster

Originally Posted By: Fruitloopy
Originally Posted By: flynch
Nothing I can do about GM CK Choi's references to ITF and NK but understanding his experiences with TKD may help see his perspective which still largely revolves around the experiences of the mid 80's. His reference is not new and not unique. There of course will always be differences of opinion. You are entitled to your view point as well. I can see both sides of it.

I can understand and appreciate his point of view. I've met many GM and Masters who think the same.
I agree as well & I also can understand. However I am not communist, nor do I support the terrible regime in NK. While I do know that my version or style of TKD is popular in NK, having no other TKD, it is also in some 100+ countries around the world. It was taken there only in 1980, long after TKD was 1st developed & after I started TKD. I also do not like or agree with the political use of the label NK TKD. To me that has political overtones & for me TKD should not be used politically.

#426176 - 03/30/10 11:32 AM Re: Alex Gilles interviews GM CK Choi [Re: ITFunity]
TaekwonDoFan Offline

My problem with these debates is that the Cold War is long over, and North Korea (and Cuba) are lonely holdouts to a failed ideology. So I don't care about communist TKD versus capitalist TKD, because, as Bruce Lee says, a kick is a kick, a punch is a punch.

Furthermore, it's increasingly hard for me to care if one version of TKD is better than the other, or even if TKD lives or dies, because, for the masters and grandmasters, it's all about ego and money. Let's face it, if students have to pay money to bow to them, this doesn't quite encourage a person's pretentious attitude.

That said, I enjoy the art and the exercise, and I do like the kicks and the communal feeling in most schools, so I am, in a way, still a Taekwondofan.

Edited by TaekwonDoFan (03/30/10 11:33 AM)

#426195 - 03/30/10 06:05 PM Re: Alex Gilles interviews GM CK Choi [Re: TaekwonDoFan]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
What always frustrated me was when ITF-ers wrote in some of the MA mags about how 'waist-twisters' weren't doing 'true TKD', as the General taught it.

Considering many of those they were aiming at had learned under the general or his close masters (like Master Rhee Ki Ha)it made one want to ask what they had been taught if it wasn't 'true TKD'.

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#426197 - 03/30/10 09:34 PM Re: Alex Gilles interviews GM CK Choi [Re: trevek]
flynch Offline

You see they really are both doing the TKD as the General taught it. It is just a matter of time.

The original (1972) version people say they are doing the original way and that there was no need/reason to change. the sine wavers point to the General's more advanced application of science to the developement of power in the updated techniques.

I moved recently and went to the local ITF-V school given my interaction at the time with them through GM CK Choi. I exlained my situaton to the 5th degree instructor and he said that it was OK that I could come to his school and he would be happy to update my techniques to bring me up to speed with updated TKD. Writely or wrongly I took this in a negative way. I just wanted to train 10 minutes from home instead of an hour but I did not necessarily feel my techniques needed updated. Maybe they could use it but that was not the basis to begin.

The thing is that everyone tries to put everyone else down to show the legitimacy of thier own version.

But if we agree that patterns have little to do with fighting and are a form of exercise then it shouldn't really matter how they are done.

Which ever version is fine we just need to stop saying that one is superior to the other or one is more correct than the other.

nb I still won't do Juche though

Edited by flynch (03/30/10 09:43 PM)

#426199 - 03/31/10 12:45 AM Re: Alex Gilles interviews GM CK Choi [Re: flynch]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
Quote:
I explained my situation to the 5th degree instructor and he said that it was OK that I could come to his school and he would be happy to update my techniques to bring me up to speed with updated TKD.

I assume your only talking about forms/patterns correct? Otherwise, what exactly about your techniques needed updating? Did they not function right in the first place?
Vinci

#426207 - 03/31/10 03:11 AM Re: Alex Gilles interviews GM CK Choi [Re: TeK9]
flynch Offline

Well I did not ask and maybe I should have but I assumed he was talking about the patterns as he never saw me train.

As for my techniques I would say they are on the slower side but have a decent amount of power. But I recognized the averageness of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOo3MB0426s

#426208 - 03/31/10 03:25 AM Re: Alex Gilles interviews GM CK Choi [Re: flynch]
TaekwonDoFan Offline

I'm getting my flexibility back, and my kicks are getting better, but I still have to work at it.

With my high kicks, I can now spar with a short person - or perhaps I should say, vertically-challenged person. LOL.

Edited by TaekwonDoFan (03/31/10 03:25 AM)

#426212 - 03/31/10 06:22 AM Re: Alex Gilles interviews GM CK Choi [Re: TaekwonDoFan]
ITFunity Offline
Professional Poster

Originally Posted By: TaekwonDoFan
My problem with these debates is that the Cold War is long over, and North Korea (and Cuba) are lonely holdouts to a failed ideology. So I don't care about communist TKD versus capitalist TKD, because, as Bruce Lee says, a kick is a kick, a punch is a punch.

Yes the "Cold War" is over. But with Korea it is at an all time height of tension, reference to the SK Navy ship that sank in the waters close to the disputed border with NK, that NK never accepted the UN designation for. This is fact & it does impact TKD politics more than people suspect.

#426213 - 03/31/10 06:26 AM Re: Alex Gilles interviews GM CK Choi [Re: flynch]
ITFunity Offline
Professional Poster

Originally Posted By: flynch
You see they really are both doing the TKD as the General taught it. It is just a matter of time.

The thing is that everyone tries to put everyone else down to show the legitimacy of thier own version.

But if we agree that patterns have little to do with fighting and are a form of exercise then it shouldn't really matter how they are done.

Agree totally. For me patterns are about art & the beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you think yours looks better, good for you. As far as generation of power within them with fundamental movements in isolation, whatever helps you best, good luck

#426214 - 03/31/10 06:28 AM Re: Alex Gilles interviews GM CK Choi [Re: TaekwonDoFan]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
@Flynch

exactly, this whole "mine is bigger than yours... oops, sorry, better than yours' thing is damned annoying.

As a non-ITF affiliated Chang Hon practitioner I've trained with a number of different clubs for a variety of periods (a few weeks, months, years)and genrally I've had no problem with people trying to impose on me.

WTF clubs... no problem... just don't do those head strikes.
PUMA... OK, no problem.

Even a hard-core ITF club, they didn't try to impose the SW onme (although they might have insisted on me developing over time)and even let me wear my non-ITF dobok.

Mind you, they did tell me to stop kihapping and go 'tsss'. That, and they expected me to know the ITF rituals for beginning and finishing a class (I didn't/don't). Rather embarrassing when I was sometimes the highest grade in the class (1st dan). I offered to stand at the back, as a guest, but they insisted on me being where the rank dictated.

Eventually I turned up with a red belt and explained to the trainer that it wasn't good for the kids to see a Black Belt making all these mistakes, when they were supposed to be taking example from the higher grades. He was surprised that I was prepared to do this and said he didn't think it necessary, but thanked me and accepted my decision.

Guess what... that day I was the only red belt in the class... and still the highest grade!!!!

Otherwise, i have mainly met very open-minded and agreeable people in TKD. It saddens me that some of the people we should be looking to for examples should be looking the other way themselves.

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga