FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 68 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 3
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
SoulJah22 1
royal 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
Today at 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
Today at 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#426023 - 03/24/10 06:56 AM Re: Alex Gilles interviews GM CK Choi [Re: TaekwonDoFan]
ITFunity Offline
Professional Poster

Originally Posted By: TaekwonDoFan
Quote:
He did give up his main school after the General Choi issues of the 80's. He gave it to Sun Choi.

And that other Choi (not Sun Soo Choi, another one) ran the school into the ground.

ITF Unity, I once said I studied under a TKD pioneer, and you asked me who that was.

Can you guess now who that was? wink
I guess that was him, Sun Choi

#426029 - 03/24/10 10:04 AM Re: Alex Gilles interviews GM CK Choi [Re: ITFunity]
TaekwonDoFan Offline

Sun Soo Choi was never a pioneer, and, as I said, he did NOT take over GM CK Choi's school. The other Choi who did was also NOT a pioneer and ran it into the ground.

So who was the pioneer who taught me? Come on, you know the answer. smile

#426067 - 03/26/10 10:09 AM Re: Alex Gilles interviews GM CK Choi [Re: ITFunity]
Fruitloopy Offline

Loc: The Great White North
Originally Posted By: ITFunity
GM CK Choi is retired in the sense that he does not have a full time dojang to run & he no longer oversees his businesses. But he is still very much involved in TKD, willing to go & help any TKD people or organizations that see a benefit it what he can offer. I would add that he has a really lot to offer!

True. I am surprised you said this itf? as here http://vimeo.com/6846374 GM Choi talks about Original Tae kwon-do and yet it is not what you are doing.

http://www.oshawamartialarts.com

#426075 - 03/27/10 12:36 AM Re: Alex Gilles interviews GM CK Choi [Re: TaekwonDoFan]
flynch Offline

Sun Soo Choi was never a pioneer, and, as I said, he did NOT take over GM CK Choi's school. The other Choi who did was also NOT a pioneer and ran it into the ground.

So who was the pioneer who taught me? Come on, you know the answer. smile

wrt GM CK Choi's school, there was nobody else available to take the school over as they were asked and could not commit the time. The person who took it over lost many of the students and my understanding is had issues when dealing with those who stayed on to help. I have heard that before those issues could be resolved he had some sort of an accident.

#426076 - 03/27/10 01:16 AM Re: Alex Gilles interviews GM CK Choi [Re: Fruitloopy]
flynch Offline

GM CK Choi has his opinions on things and he will express them. He will always have strong feelings regarding the General going to north korea and focusing on SW in patterns. He gave up his main school and left the General in 1986 after 30 plus years. He was so offended by the General's actions he gave up his life's work and his lively hood. But he never quit Tae Kwon Do he just did not want to be a part of the ITF under General Choi and he would have nothing to do with the WTF. Until the General's death GM CK Choi was mainly concerned with practising and passing on to his close students the Tae Kwon Do he learned, helped create and taught from the mid 50's Please remember he does have the No 5 turtle plaque, he was the first heavy weight champion and nobody has ever questioned his help with Ge-Baek or his contributon to Tae Kwon Do.

To be fair to GM CK Choi he is allowed to express his opinions. It is also the case that (rightly or wrongly) many refer to the current style of ITF as "north korean". That does not make it north korean but it is a fairly common label used today. It is unfortunate that of all the positive things he has done and has tried to do people focus on this issue.

I have said for over 6 years now that GM CK Choi will work with any orgainization or individual to help them with Tae Kwon Do. This had included the ITF-V (he has met with Master Tran on several occassions and has been asked to comment on issues) the ICTF, the WTA, independants etc.

GM CK Choi is focused mainly on the fighting side of Tae Kwon Do but he recognizes that traditional patterns are important for many people but views them as more for general exercise and tradition. If pressed he does practise the pre-SW (no need to debate the merits of either) version of the patterns without north korean inspired political names and if asked he is willing to debate anyone as to the merits of his opinions on the matter.

As he sees it the TAGB does practice the patterns in a manner which is more consitant with his training methods.

While I do not know anything about the TAGB they stepped up to the plate and scheduled a series of seminars with GM CK Choi and he truly enjoyed it. Good for them. GM CK Choi does not want to be just sitting on a chair somewhere handing out trophies or meeting for golf tournaments he want to teach Tae Kwon Do and more specfically sparring techniques

#426092 - 03/27/10 01:26 PM Re: Alex Gilles interviews GM CK Choi [Re: flynch]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
Originally Posted By: flynch

While I do not know anything about the TAGB they stepped up to the plate and scheduled a series of seminars with GM CK Choi and he truly enjoyed it. Good for them. GM CK Choi does not want to be just sitting on a chair somewhere handing out trophies or meeting for golf tournaments he want to teach Tae Kwon Do and more specfically sparring techniques

Flynch, for your information, TAGB split from UKTA (GM Rhee's UK ITF organisation... the first in UK), as it says in the interview. The split was largely about finances and perceived lack of democracy within the organisation. The split took place in the early 1980's, before ITF adopted SW. Those members were some of the highest ranking UK practitioners of ITF-TKD.

TAGB continued to teach what they had been taught under Master Rhee Ki Ha, Master Teh etc. ie. the waist twist and the forms of tul. They also added an extra 4 forms of 2 step sparring. They had phenomenal international success in competition, WAKO etc. They later founded TKD International, a multi-TKD organisation with international/world competitions.

As I originally trained with TAGB, my tul are those taught to me there. I was surprised at some of the recent variations now used by 'official' ITF clubs.

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#426094 - 03/27/10 02:38 PM Re: Alex Gilles interviews GM CK Choi [Re: trevek]
TaekwonDoFan Offline

May I ask what a tul is? A pattern?

#426096 - 03/27/10 05:20 PM Re: Alex Gilles interviews GM CK Choi [Re: Fruitloopy]
ITFunity Offline
Professional Poster

Originally Posted By: Fruitloopy
Originally Posted By: ITFunity
GM CK Choi is retired in the sense that he does not have a full time dojang to run & he no longer oversees his businesses. But he is still very much involved in TKD, willing to go & help any TKD people or organizations that see a benefit it what he can offer. I would add that he has a really lot to offer!

True. I am surprised you said this itf? as here http://vimeo.com/6846374 GM Choi talks about Original Tae kwon-do and yet it is not what you are doing.
No need to be surprised Master White. We are simply using different definitions of what original TKD is. To me original TKD is what was left to us by the principle founder, Gen Choi, when he passed away in 2002. I believe & Mr. Flynch can correct me if I am wrong, but GM CK Choi defines original TKD as the system they devised & documented with the 1972 textbook of Gen Choi. Additionally, since GM CK Choi left the General in the 1980s, he does not approve of or like the TKD that Gen Choi & his next generation of followers made changes, revisions, additions etc to.

It is simply a different way to look at it. Others may say that original TKD is what they were doing in the ROK Army back in the 1950s, when they 1st started to systemize the Art. I can accept all & other definitions as well, if explained to me. However my personal definition is that which was left to us in 2002.

#426097 - 03/27/10 05:22 PM Re: Alex Gilles interviews GM CK Choi [Re: flynch]
ITFunity Offline
Professional Poster

Originally Posted By: flynch
GM CK Choi has his opinions on things and he will express them. He will always have strong feelings regarding the General going to north korea and focusing on SW in patterns. He gave up his main school and left the General in 1986 after 30 plus years.
I thought it was 1982?

#426098 - 03/27/10 05:24 PM Re: Alex Gilles interviews GM CK Choi [Re: TaekwonDoFan]
ITFunity Offline
Professional Poster

May I ask what a tul is? A pattern?
Tul is the Korean name for pattern, the way the ITF refers to a form, hyung, kata, poomsae etc.

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga