FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 25 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
Zombie Zero 1
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
futsaowingchun 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#420669 - 07/08/09 10:35 AM Should Aikido & JuJitsu Be learned at same time
jubbs14 Offline

Hi Guys,

Sorry if this kind of topic has been posted before but I have a question I was hoping you more experienced guys may be able to help me out with.

I am currently learining JuJitsu with the Abbeydale JuJitsu club, I have had about 8 lessons and really enjoying it. I have had experience of JuJitsu Martial Arts before as
a kid and after coming back to it after 10 years I have found that I have picked it up again fairly quickly.

However I have always been a great admirer of Aikido, In the past few weeks I have been shown I little glimpse of the basics by a black belt that I no. This is fairly few and far between though as his health & time mean that I am not always guaranteed a lesson each week.

My question really is this,

I am definatley going to stick with JuJitsu as I really enjoy it, I am also going to learn Aikido as like I said I am a great admirer of the art and have enjoyed what I have been shown. However I am caught in two minds on how to appraoch this.

1. I could spend how ever many years it takes (Im in no rush as I no its a journey not a destination) to get to a respectable level at JuJitsu by training 2 or 3 times a week. Then after this time I could start taking Aikido lessons also.

or

2. I could take up Aikido now and join a dojo where i have guranteed lessons each week while still training with my jujitsu club also at the same time.

Just wondered what your opinions are, maye some of you have done this also?

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#420676 - 07/08/09 04:38 PM Re: Should Aikido & JuJitsu Be learned at same tim [Re: jubbs14]
iaibear Offline
Veteran

Loc: upstate New York
They could fit beautifully or not. It depends on you, your ability and taste.

It could also depend a lot on how the Aikido is taught. I spent a lot of years learning there are different styles of instruction. The teacher can explain what is happening in the moves, or he can demonstrate endless variations and let you figure it out for yourself. Some people are good guessers and pick things up quickly. I am not.

Shop around before you decide.

#420683 - 07/08/09 05:28 PM Re: Should Aikido & JuJitsu Be learned at same tim [Re: iaibear]
ThunderinJoe Offline

I train several martial arts, JuJitsu being one of them, they all seem to compliment each other according to my approach. When I roll I find I've learned things from other arts that subconciously are applied during my sessions. Bumps, set-ups, traps, etc...

#420704 - 07/09/09 03:35 AM Re: Should Aikido & JuJitsu Be learned at same time [Re: jubbs14]
Ames Offline
Veteran

The main thing here is do you have the time? Do you have the time to dedicate to both arts, or by studying one would you take time away from the other? If you are going to study both, but can only study Aikido once a week, then it will be more of a supplemental thing. I wouldn't do that expecting to gain any depth in the art, but it's fine if you want an 'overview' of sorts.

If you have the time to split between the two arts (say each one twice a week) go for it.

--Chris

#420708 - 07/09/09 08:05 AM Re: Should Aikido & JuJitsu Be learned at same time [Re: Ames]
jubbs14 Offline

Thanks for the advice guys.

To be honest I only really have enough time at the moment to dedicate all my time to one art.

I will have a look at the Aikido clubs to see how the style of training is, there are a few in my area so should be some good variations. After I have taken a look I can decide which ine to train at in the future when I do take up the art.

Regards,

Ryan

#420955 - 07/20/09 10:20 AM Re: Should Aikido & JuJitsu Be learned at same time [Re: jubbs14]
karl314285 Offline

Loc: The Matrix, Serif is Teacher
Hi,
well...they do compliment each other well, dependent on style of Aikido...

I'm of the opinion that jujitsu is perhaps more immediately (few years-5ish) applicable to defense of self and others and dedicated practice in time (immersion) in the style chosen is best, it's a lifetime after all, one may find that at more advanced levels the style of jujitsu will come to the same place Aikido practice would arrive...

"One who chases two rabbits no eat dinner" - not my quote smile

Peace. Karl.

#421004 - 07/22/09 07:52 AM Re: Should Aikido & JuJitsu Be learned at same time [Re: karl314285]
jubbs14 Offline

"One who chases two rabbits no eat dinner" ha I like that!

Thanks karl314285.

I have decided to dedicate all my time and effort to Jujitsu. Maybe some time in the future I could pick up a 2nd style.

Although once I finally get to a very good level of Jujitsu I may be too old to start from scratch on another style wink

#421154 - 07/30/09 04:53 AM Re: Should Aikido & JuJitsu Be learned at same time [Re: jubbs14]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
My advice, however late;

No. Stick to one art.

Jujitsu (from my experience) does not mix well at all with Aikido (again, from my experience).

~Donnie out

#421198 - 08/01/09 02:43 PM Re: Should Aikido & JuJitsu Be learned at same time [Re: Taison]
Ames Offline
Veteran

Interesting Taison. Why do you feel the two don't mix well?

--Chris

#421208 - 08/01/09 10:27 PM Re: Should Aikido & JuJitsu Be learned at same time [Re: Ames]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
I think Aikido and boxing should be practiced at the same time. wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga