FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 66 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 3
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
cxt 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#420164 - 06/14/09 07:47 AM What's your style's strategy
Chin_Da01 Offline

Loc: Mid west
For example, some arts use tactics to fight up close (such as Baihequan, Wing Chun, Taijiquan and some styles of Karate maybe like Goju Ryu????) others at a long range (such as Chang Quan and Hong Quan and Shotokan Karate) Other use spirals and circles as their foundation, such as like BaguaZhange and Aikido etc..

Whats your styles Strategy and whats your prefered methods based of that said strategy?

#420165 - 06/15/09 05:52 PM Re: What's your style's strategy [Re: Chin_Da01]
futsaowingchun Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Wing Chun also uses spirals and circules.This is not a strategy thought just a method of fighting. The Kuen kits of WC tell the strategy. One is stay with comes, follow as it leaves and attact on loss of contact.

#420166 - 06/15/09 06:02 PM Re: What's your style's strategy [Re: futsaowingchun]
BigWiggly Offline

Loc: Ohio
my teachers have always taught to have strength through stances, then closing the center and dominationg your opponent by absolutly massacring them. eyes, soft tissues, temple strikes, monkey grabs the golden fruit, ect. lol. get in close, shut them down, and break as much as possible. everything seems agressive, even blocking should be able to hurt the enemy.

#420167 - 06/15/09 09:32 PM Re: What's your style's strategy [Re: Chin_Da01]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

Loc: Bellingham, WA
My style? You might say my style is the art of fighting without fighting. Oh, wait, nevermind - my style is to fight. My style's strategy is to fight hard

#420168 - 06/16/09 01:39 AM Re: What's your style's strategy [Re: ShikataGaNai]
SifuHax Offline

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
C'mon dude. Elaborate.

#420456 - 06/28/09 10:20 AM Re: What's your style's strategy [Re: SifuHax]
Chin_Da01 Offline

I was looking for people to elaborate on some of their preferred methods of offense and defense as it pertained to the style that they practice.

Our preferred method is to always keep moving, never standing still. no bobbing up and down like a boxer) A tactic of ours is to use that movement to gain a position just out of range, then attack from a preferred angle.

I practice Pigua Quan (in English "Axe & Hitch Boxing")
Picture a saw blade that changes from vertical to horizontal as well as going into reverse. Much of our tactics is to make contact with our opponent's defense (arms etc....) to clear a path. Of interest "We have little or no blocking or parrying.

#420469 - 06/28/09 06:39 PM Re: What's your style's strategy [Re: Chin_Da01]
donchisau Offline

This is an interesting question but perhaps not really useful.

The better question is can you make the strategy work against a trained stranger from a different school or method. Many CMA types find that when really faced with a boxer, BJJ or MT type of trained fighter their strategy fails. This is because they dont practice the strategy under life like conditions but only at their school with fellow students.

#420473 - 06/28/09 10:13 PM Re: What's your style's strategy [Re: donchisau]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

Loc: Bellingham, WA
Why do so many people on the CMA boards think boxers bounce around like a pair of silicone chi-chis?!
This is a stupid and misguided generalisation. It's like saying all kung fu dudes fly like in House of Flying Daggers.
For those that claim to know this - how many 'boxers' have you really fought?
Kung fu (mainly southern fist styles) can hold their own against MT, boxing, etc... but you gotta train it hard with real applications, like Don says. Otherwise you're working off theory.

#420537 - 06/30/09 05:16 PM Re: What's your style's strategy [Re: donchisau]
Chin_Da01 Offline

Originally Posted By: donchisau

This is an interesting question but perhaps not really useful.

The better question is can you make the strategy work against a trained stranger from a different school or method. Many CMA types find that when really faced with a boxer, BJJ or MT type of trained fighter their strategy fails. This is because they dont practice the strategy under life like conditions but only at their school with fellow students.

Wasn't trying to be useful...just interesting.... in order to get chatter on this somewhat dead news group.

I agree with your assessment, yet its also a failing of most martial art schools in general. My belief in CMA is solid (as are my skills) yet many standing outside see it as non- effectual. I think this is due to the obscene hoarding of forms. And the belief that this is somehow good.

Quote:

ShikataGaNai wrote: Why do so many people on the CMA boards think boxers bounce around like a pair of silicone chi-chis?!

because most do..... I.e most Boxing coaches teach movement by getting up on the balls of your feet and floating or shuffling...hence bouncing. Siting down on your punches is totally another matter.....

Quote:
For those that claim to know this - how many 'boxers' have you really fought? Kung fu (mainly southern fist styles) can hold their own against MT, boxing, etc... but you gotta train it hard with real applications

Fought? none. But I have boxed some.... and I know...... Northern Quan Fa can more than hold its own also.

Training as hard as possible and training without limitation
is the key.

Edited by Chin_Da01 (06/30/09 07:43 PM)

#420561 - 07/01/09 09:42 PM Re: What's your style's strategy [Re: Chin_Da01]
IExcalibui2 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York City
my strategy is this:

if they don't give you the bridge or if you don't need a bridge than just hit the guy. stick & move but stick it to them hard. Every hit (even the jab) should count as something. Once you can get past their weapons and you're able to hit them, hit em hard and don't stop. When you're close enough to the guy, start sticking/trapping/clinching (all the same)and take the guy down..down to chinatown

if there is a bridge then great, stick on and hope the guy is ready to go on a ride because giving a CMAist a bridge is probably the dumbest move ever.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, Gavin, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga