FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 48 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
cxt 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#426835 - 05/02/10 04:19 AM Re: The "Classical Mess" [Re: JKogas]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
HAHAHA.

I agree on that one.

-Donnie

#426845 - 05/02/10 05:58 AM Re: The "Classical Mess" [Re: MattJ]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
By: Paul Vunak

Where does original JKD fit in?

When we say original JKD we are referring to the combined curriculum's of the Seattle, Oakland and LA Chinatown schools prior to Bruce Lee's death. We strongly believe that the original curriculum should be preserved and immortalized. In order to assure this for the past 25 years we have made it mandatory for all Phase 1 students to know the entire curriculum of original JKD. When I hear people asking which is better? Comparing original jkd to contemporary jkd(which is commonly called JKD concepts) I have to smile and scratch my head. You see, original JKD is contained within contemporary JKD. It would be like asking which is better, a Jab or Boxing? Since a Jab is contained within boxing, the question is moot. Another reason against comparing the two has to do with fairness to Bruce Lee. In order to even be competitive now a days, there are some simple pre-requisites one absolutely must have...

A clinch Game(Either the neck or the body)
Take down defense,
A Ground game.

The reason that none of these elements are in original JKD. Is because they didn't even exist prior to the first UFC which was 20 years after Bruce Lee's death.
Vinci

#426993 - 05/06/10 08:05 AM Re: The "Classical Mess" [Re: TeK9]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Paul Vunak is the first person that is able to answer the question without causing a rift between the two 'faction'. If only the TKD people could learn the same thing.

To be honest, that's how I view my 'style' when people ask. "What's stronger? MT or Judo?' my answer has always been 'why are you trying which one taste better, bread or butter?'

-Donnie out

#427087 - 05/11/10 02:49 AM Re: The "Classical Mess" [Re: ShikataGaNai]
matt_mcg Offline

Originally Posted By: ShikataGaNai
[quote]
As for the JFJKD kick link - I think (but don't exactly know) that the particular sidekick made so popular by Lee is a modified WC sidekick. The chambering, leaning back and hip motion came from who-knows-where, but the heel thrust and footwork are exactly like the WC version when it's used with footwork or when closing the distance. You can even cross-step to cover more ground (sure you all know that).

That kick looks exactly like a chasse lateral median from savate. The chambering, the body position, the mechanics of the kick, all of it. So I assume [given Tao of JKD, etc.] that savate is a possible or even probable source for the kick. Although savate footwork doesn't tend to involve that sort of footwork as much [although cross steps and 'skips' are used sometimes to close distance quickly].

But as you say, who knows, there's a lot of technique convergence across styles.

Matt

#427122 - 05/11/10 11:03 PM Re: The "Classical Mess" [Re: matt_mcg]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Bruce did take a LOT from Savate.

Coup de pied with rear leg, Chasse lateral bas, Chasse lateral and Chasse Frontal.

Note that Bruce MAY have had TKD influence in his films from that korean guy, Jhoon Rhee I think his name was. But I'm not sure.

Lee said he did not like 'high kicks'. However, he used a lot of 'thrusting' kicks employed in Savate.

-Donnie out

#430051 - 09/20/10 08:27 AM Re: The "Classical Mess" [Re: Ames]
trexeden@yahoo.c Offline
Stranger

Great question my man. This talk could go on and on. Iíve been interviewing JKD instructors from across the spectrum for a while now, here is what they have to say, you can check it out for no charge: http://www.JKDnewsletter.com

#430057 - 09/20/10 03:17 PM Re: The "Classical Mess" [Re: trexeden@yahoo.c]
Kimo2007 Offline
Veteran

Old thread and I don't know where Bruce Lee took his influence from officially.

What I can tell you is he spent a lot of time with Ed Parker and training with his students. Not formally as a AKK guy but fighting and discussing philosophy and taking it too the mat.

He also worked with Gene LeBell on set and off, so I'd be hard pressed to believe he didn't tap that resource when he was around him as much as he was.

I've heard the old timers tell a few stories. I won't repeat them because stories tend to take on a life of their own depending on who the tellers are, but they are interesting in their own right.

I will say the common thread seems to be that LeBell was not a guy to messed with, not ground breaking I know, but the stories are still funny.

#430069 - 09/21/10 12:08 PM Re: The "Classical Mess" [Re: Kimo2007]
Ames Offline
Veteran

I heard that Lebell threw Lee into (as in 'inside') a garbage can! Don't know how true it is, but still funny.

My favorite is the story of him and Seagal.

--Chris

#430071 - 09/21/10 03:47 PM Re: The "Classical Mess" [Re: Ames]
Kimo2007 Offline
Veteran

See how those stories evolve, I heard he picked him up and Lee was yelling "put me down!"

Apparently he was being a pain in the a$$ onset and LeBell had enough.

Another story, when Lee was young, Parker told his guys to leave him alone because he was shopping the actor around to his Hollywood buddies. Lee might not have been the best MA in the world but he looked amazing on film, and his form was a thing of beauty.

Well, one night Lee and a guy who's name I won't mention because I got the story second hand (I'm not old like some of these geezers) anyway they got into a debate about fighting and it lead to some sparring and this guy gave it to BL pretty good.

Well the old man (as Parker was known) was livid, not sure what he did to the guy but that was the last time BL got man handled.

Don't get me wrong, he was still young he had just mouthed off to wrong guy and back in the day those guys pounded. BL was respected in the MA community even then though I doubt revered as the "best". Prettiest maybe, but hardly the best.

Again, the old stories from these guys are cool to hear even if you have to take them with a grain of salt as the years blur the details.

I will say I met a guy a long time ago who trained with Bill Wallace. He said he fought him in a tournament blah blah. He said yea, Bill kicked me in the head before I even knew we had started, but I held my own. Years later on a lark, I looked him up, and what do you know but I found him on a tournament results page. Bill Wallace First Place and Him in second...SOB was telling the truth!

#430498 - 10/17/10 01:14 PM Re: The "Classical Mess" [Re: Ames]
trexeden@yahoo.c Offline
Stranger

It is a challenge. Iíve interviewed some pretty high up JKD instructors. You can check out my interviews with them at http://www.JKDnewsletter.com

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga