FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 30 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
charlie 2
futsaowingchun 2
Matakiant 1
William_Bent 1
simonajones111 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#419172 - 05/14/09 12:26 AM Re: Slapping! [Re: Taison]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.

Quote:

You've got a very true point there;

Quote:

making someone more angrier only makes things worse when its not a theory on paper

I also seem to have been abandoned by the grammar fairy

Quote:

Quote:

which would you, in your experience of both giving, and recieving strikes, find more likely to end an attack?

Giving, most definitely.

Not quite what I meant- in context, if you had the choice, which would you trust more, landing a punch or a slap? When your safety is on the line, you allways put your money on the favourite, not the 100-1 shot.

Edited by Cord (05/14/09 12:27 AM)

#419173 - 05/14/09 06:04 PM Re: Slapping! [Re: Cord]
KUNGFUNOOBIE Offline
Almost Literate!

THERE ISNT NO SLAPPING IN JEET KUN DO ONLY PUNCHES, BACK FIST, UPPERCUT SHOVEL PUNCH ETC

#419174 - 05/15/09 02:01 PM Re: Slapping! [Re: KUNGFUNOOBIE]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Quote:

THERE ISNT NO SLAPPING IN JEET KUN DO ONLY PUNCHES, BACK FIST, UPPERCUT SHOVEL PUNCH ETC

False.

#419175 - 05/15/09 02:11 PM Re: Slapping! [Re: KUNGFUNOOBIE]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote:

Absolutely! We all know what a conservative guy Bruce was! He didn't want anyone to use anything but very specific techniques in JKD. I'm pretty sure I heard someone say that they read that somewhere.

#419176 - 05/15/09 04:04 PM Re: Slapping! [Re: MattJ]
KUNGFUNOOBIE Offline
Almost Literate!

YES BUT U ONLY NEED THE OTHER TECHNIQUES WHEN IS IT APPROPRIATE TO.

#419177 - 05/15/09 09:36 PM Re: Slapping! [Re: Taison]
drgndrew Offline
< a god, > a man.
Enthusiast

Loc: Toowoomba, Qld, Australia
Quote:

KO'ing someone with a slap? Never seen anything that could come close.

~Donnie out

know you have
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJJlAybY60Y

The Slap is a very underrated tool.

Most of you guys seem to be assuming that the slap is the (girly) type of slap you would expect if you pinched a waitress on the bum. Thats kind of like comparing a jab to a full over hand right.

you have the girly slap which does have a place in self defence, it provides a great distraction/set up for a more powerful follow up tool. it actually has a greater affect then the jab (for eg), the surface area is greater and thus activates more nerve receptors, it's a different strike to jab punch but can be used the same. psychologically it has a much greater affect, culturally we have all been enculturated to perceive a slap as insulting and unmanly, we all have been programed that slaps a re used on disobedient children ( even if you didn't get slapped as a kid). Because of this deep enculturement when we (males especially) receive a slap it has a very profound and deep affect on us which is well over and above the actually pain.

we expect to be punched in a fight and as such we are somewhat prepared for it (psychologically at least), but when we are slapped it is unexpected in a confrontation (esp between males), and it is contra to the situation, in stead of receiving the typical aggression tools we receive a tool that we associate to childhood punishment, we suddenly relive the embarrassment of being punished in public. and we are literally shocked more then if punched. when punched we are in the moment of the fight , thats normal for aggression, when slapped we are forced to attend to the psychological affect, it is incongruent with the situation and thus requires re-evaluation this is automatic and unavoidable (and often un noticed) the result is a moment of in activity as the system re-evaluates (similar to a freeze response).

Now the above waffle is only talking about the girly slap, take the above response and add Knock out power and penetration and you have the combative or power slap. Unlike the girly slap which is performed primarily by swinging the arm from the elbow and wrist hitting mainly with the fingers, the power slap is delivered with your entire body weight behind it. you hit with the entire palm of your hand it can be just as powerful as a hook punch and in some cases more so (the elbow is kept down in a slap as opposed horizontally with a hook). when done properly it is a very powerful strike and it is easier and more natural to do then many punches.

You must use your entire body not just the arm, think about the dynamics you would use to skim a rock across water the same motion can be applied to the slap except at head hight, you don't have to be as accurate as you do with punches in fact if you can land with the base of your palm in the dribble line of the jaw (basically straight down to the jaw from the corner of your mouth) and have your hand extend along teh jay then you can virtually guarantee a KO (not that anything is a guarantee in self defence, but it is a high percent option).

From another point of view the slap looks better from a witness point of view. which sounds would sound worst for you a witness telling a cop that "he slapped him" or a witness telling a cop that "he punched him". in reality the power is much the same if not slightly better with the power slap.

An added bonus, and this applies for most open hand techniques, is that you have more options after contact you can rake, scratch or gouge, grab or anchor, etc. unlike a punch which only really enables you to club them.

Oh and there is far greater chance of injury with open hands.

With Honour in Bushido
Drew Guest
www.ToowoombaSelfDefence.websyte.com.au
Bushi Dojos Self Protection
Toowoomba Self Defence

#419178 - 05/16/09 12:42 AM Re: Slapping! [Re: drgndrew]
drgndrew Offline
< a god, > a man.
Enthusiast

Loc: Toowoomba, Qld, Australia
Quote:

Oh and there is far greater chance of injury with open hands.

Sorry That should read

Oh and there is far greater chance of injury with punching then with open hands.

Edited by drgndrew (05/16/09 12:44 AM)

With Honour in Bushido
Drew Guest
www.ToowoombaSelfDefence.websyte.com.au
Bushi Dojos Self Protection
Toowoomba Self Defence

#419179 - 05/17/09 03:54 AM Re: Slapping! [Re: drgndrew]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Quote:

know you have
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJJlAybY60Y

Doesn't that clip scream 'STAGED!!!' to you?

Quote:

psychologically it has a much greater affect, culturally we have all been enculturated to perceive a slap as insulting and unmanly, we all have been programed that slaps a re used on disobedient children ( even if you didn't get slapped as a kid). Because of this deep enculturement when we (males especially) receive a slap it has a very profound and deep affect on us which is well over and above the actually pain.

we expect to be punched in a fight and as such we are somewhat prepared for it (psychologically at least), but when we are slapped it is unexpected in a confrontation (esp between males), and it is contra to the situation, in stead of receiving the typical aggression tools we receive a tool that we associate to childhood punishment, we suddenly relive the embarrassment of being punished in public. and we are literally shocked more then if punched. when punched we are in the moment of the fight , thats normal for aggression, when slapped we are forced to attend to the psychological affect, it is incongruent with the situation and thus requires re-evaluation this is automatic and unavoidable (and often un noticed) the result is a moment of in activity as the system re-evaluates (similar to a freeze response).

Sorry, I just dont buy this at all. It has been proved that a lot of violent offenders have abusive home backgrounds- that they have learned to express themselves through violence. As children/youths, they recieve much more than a 'slap' from parents and guardians, yet when punched outside of that context, suffer no such 'confusion' or freezing due to psychological linking.

A 'b1tch-slap', in my experience only serves as an antagonistic action- much like a shove to the chest. That is a complete anathema in the world of true self defence.

If you are going to strike, it should be for protection, not humiliation, and every contact should be designed to negate, not infuriate.

Quote:

Unlike the girly slap which is performed primarily by swinging the arm from the elbow and wrist hitting mainly with the fingers

You've never really been slapped by a girl have you

Quote:

the power slap is delivered with your entire body weight behind it. you hit with the entire palm of your hand it can be just as powerful as a hook punch and in some cases more so (the elbow is kept down in a slap as opposed horizontally with a hook). when done properly it is a very powerful strike and it is easier and more natural to do then many punches.

Better to use the forearm as a punch alternative in these instances. A fist allows direct transfer of power from body to target via striking surface. So does the forearm. A slap adds another point of articulation in the wrist, and that extra point of flexion will always make the impact weaker.

Quote:

you don't have to be as accurate as you do with punches in fact if you can land with the base of your palm in the dribble line of the jaw (basically straight down to the jaw from the corner of your mouth) and have your hand extend along teh jay then you can virtually guarantee a KO (not that anything is a guarantee in self defence, but it is a high percent option).

If you are talking about striking with the heel of the hand, then that is not a slap. Period.

Anything landed cleanly to the jaw has a higher chance of KO- its not the weapon used, its the whole 'clean shot to the jaw' bit that is the deciding factor in that one.

Quote:

From another point of view the slap looks better from a witness point of view. which sounds would sound worst for you a witness telling a cop that "he slapped him" or a witness telling a cop that "he punched him".

This may backfire on you. Remember, you have already acknowledged the social perception of a slap. SD is about convincing the authorities that you were in danger, and that you did not provoke the situation.
An untrained person (judge/jury/police) may well consider a slap as an act of provocation, or that you could not have felt that threatened if all you did was give him a 'swift backhander'

Quote:

An added bonus, and this applies for most open hand techniques, is that you have more options after contact you can rake, scratch or gouge, grab or anchor, etc. unlike a punch which only really enables you to club them.

How often, have you, or will you ever, decide that the right course of action is to blind or scar someone for life?

As for clinch/grab, I dont see any diffculty or slowness in transition from clenched fist to clenched fist containing hair/clothing/etc. and if I did, I would be looking to close range with an elbow or forearm, not the palm of my hand, as a weapon.

Just my opinion.

#419180 - 05/20/09 06:31 PM Re: Slapping! [Re: Cord]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
Id absolutely slap someone. There are great results and advantages, like watering eyes, aggravation and frustration, and speed. Its a great distraction and set up tool.

At least half of fighting is mental warfare in which slapping might be considered guerrilla tactics.

#419181 - 05/22/09 09:50 AM Re: Slapping! [Re: Taison]
karl314285 Offline

Loc: The Matrix, Serif is Teacher
Hi,

If its just a slap aim must be real good to right target...I use a slap as Mast Dong Taught...slap to side of head fingers splayed for the purpose of head control...slap side of head and continue to follow through twisting head to unbalance then give either a good shove to get opponent to ground and stomp something or split....

split reminds me, everyone needs some tricks ready and I like to share...The HIV virus is not spread via saliva unless bloody...an opening salvo of spitting lugy in face (and if someone corrects me on the HIV/saliva thing) spit on neck or chest, human instinct will probably give you 3-4 sec where they take eyes off you...there is a great opening...

Comments?

-Karl. Peace.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga