FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 14
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 4
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
Yesterday at 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432455 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#419162 - 05/11/09 11:13 PM Slapping!
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
I know I know.. this sounds silly but..

Has anyone here actually considered using slaps?

I've found it to be a great asset, esp when going for clinches. I've been working on 'pensatao' or the crazy monkey defense, whatever you want to call it.

What I've noticed is that a skilled user will be able to negate most jabs with it with brutal effectiveness. However, it does not seem to work against slaps as efficiently.

I've used slaps to create openings in the pensatao, I've actually discouraged sparring partners from using it with powerslaps that hurt like a b!tch.

Not only that, it seems to be a very good 'mental' poker. It seems to bring out a more aggressive reaction in the opponents. It seems get them off focus. I've actually made a very defensive fighter go on the offense, an area which he is not skilled in, voluntarily.

It seems to work well in GnP tactics as well?

What's your thoughts?

~Donnie out

#419163 - 05/12/09 01:50 AM Re: Slapping! [Re: Taison]
grumbleweed Offline

lets keep the political humour/comments elsewhere please

Edited by Cord (05/12/09 02:45 AM)

#419164 - 05/12/09 02:53 AM Re: Slapping! [Re: Taison]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
If it hurts, and it creates openings, then its valid.

A big part of why slapping is not used so often, I think, is the cultural perception of it as an insult, or even that it is gender specific ('b1tch-slap').

Of course, you wouldnt want to rely on slapping as a primary form of striking, simply because it lacks concussive power (yes I know in theory it could KO someone, but my money is on a punch every time).

Remember that Rutten vs Frank Shamrock fight where they were gridlocked , fighting for eachothers knee bars, and Rutten started slapping Shamrock? (it was Pancrase I think, so no fists allowed).
Shamrock started goading Rutten, laughing at him resorting to the technique, until Rutten took the bait and hit him with a closed fist, thus getting DQ'd

I would never rely on a technique that my attacker could laugh through.

#419165 - 05/12/09 03:04 AM Re: Slapping! [Re: Cord]
grumbleweed Offline

sorry! it was wrong

#419166 - 05/12/09 11:56 AM Re: Slapping! [Re: grumbleweed]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

I'm not really sure.

The deeper I delve into the crazy monkey defense, the more I fear using a proper clenched fist technique unless I'm 100% and 10% extra sure, I won't hit an elbow.

No no, slapping I see it more as a way to goad or provoke people into a different mental state. Physically, I don't think it's on par with punching.

KO'ing someone with a slap? Never seen anything that could come close.

~Donnie out

#419167 - 05/12/09 12:05 PM Re: Slapping! [Re: Taison]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
I train open-hand strikes on the heavy bag fairly often. I don't know if I could KO someone with them, but I'm pretty sure I could knock someone down if I landed a good one.

#419168 - 05/12/09 12:10 PM Re: Slapping! [Re: MattJ]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Well, I haven't used this in sparring but I have been slapped on the left ear before.

My hearing on that side of the head is still not very good, and that was 2 years ago.

I felt like vomitting when I did get hit though. Could be effective in a 'real' fight.

~Donnie out

#419169 - 05/13/09 01:45 PM Re: Slapping! [Re: Taison]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

The deeper I delve into the crazy monkey defense, the more I fear using a proper clenched fist technique unless I'm 100% and 10% extra sure, I won't hit an elbow.

Well here you have to qualify if you are looking to utilise technique in sparring, as a persuit of interest, or if you are looking to practical application outside of the training session.

If the latter, then ask yourself this:
1. How likely are you to encounter a crazy monkey defence outside of your class?

2. if the answer to that is as I think (very unlikely), then, as every second of a physical defence counts, if you can reach a target with a slap, you can reach it with a fist.

3. which would you, in your experience of both giving, and recieving strikes, find more likely to end an attack?

I love MA's, and I love everything I have learned (such as it is), but I have never been taught, or practiced, anything that has convinced me that I need much more than a couple of really hard punches and the ability to get hold of someone and throw 'em around a bit, if it gets messy.

Thats me, but just doesnt seem like a sensible alternative.

Quote:

No no, slapping I see it more as a way to goad or provoke people into a different mental state.

Ah yes, the old 'make em angry and profit from their lack of control' idea.

Sorry, but making someone more angrier only makes things worse when its not a theory on paper- if not right there and then, if your attacker loses 'face', then they are much more likely to come find you for retribution.

Got to play the long game, as well as the short.

#419170 - 05/13/09 09:45 PM Re: Slapping! [Re: Cord]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Hmm..

You've got a very true point there;

Quote:

making someone more angrier only makes things worse when its not a theory on paper

I've actually never thought about it outside the 'game', i.e. in an encounter outside of the ring.

Quote:

which would you, in your experience of both giving, and recieving strikes, find more likely to end an attack?

Giving, most definitely.

Quote:

How likely are you to encounter a crazy monkey defence outside of your class?

Grapple.

I think I'm getting automated with my sparring partners. We need some freshies lol.

~Donnie out

#419171 - 05/13/09 11:00 PM Re: Slapping! [Re: Taison]
Kimo2007 Offline
Veteran

How about slapping as self defense?

I used a slap once to avoid a fight. Basically I was in a situation I knew was about to escalate (long story) anyway I didn't really want to punch the guy for a number of reasons but walking away was not really an option either, so I bitched slapped him, and gave him a firm talking too. (can't print what I actually said but you can do the math)

It could have gone the other way as well, but I had a feeling once he was exposed to my power and superior quickness, he would choose to live to fight another day. (joke)

Serious though, I find slaps to more of a mental strike then a physical. Like putting a kid in a headlock in grade school, not really fighting just proving who is the bigger dog, before fighting or doing real damage.

The application of this type of thing is pretty limited as well, although the urge to bitchslap someone is often a common occurrence

Slaps in sparring or an actual fight, never say never but I don't see it. Open hand strikes, sure I can see plenty of applications, though I imagine most of us would throw fists.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga