FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 58 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
Marcus Charles 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#418582 - 04/24/09 09:21 PM Should Kyle Maynard be allowed to fight in the UFC
MiSt Offline

Quote:

Kyle Maynard of Suwanee, Georgia, U.S. was born on March 24, 1986 with a rare disorder called congenital amputation.

Basicly, Kyle wants to fight in the UFC, but as you can read from the article officals are denying him this opportinity. Should they?

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=mm...e&type=lgns

Good luck to him I say, if he can train under MMA rules then he can fight under them. (I have not seen footage of Kyle fighting under MMA rules, but obviously sparring against top fighters is a must if entering the UFC at all for ANYBODY.)

Kyle fighting: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Kyle+Maynard&aq=f

#418583 - 04/25/09 09:53 AM Re: Should Kyle Maynard be allowed to fight in the UFC [Re: MiSt]
bo-ken Offline
Veteran

Loc: beaver falls, PA, beaver
Well as far as UFC goes he doesn't weigh enough. There smallest weight class right now is 155. But there is WEC and I heard they might be starting a 125 weight class. This is a hard one to call. If he wants to do it he should be aloud.

#418584 - 04/25/09 11:17 AM Re: Should Kyle Maynard be allowed to fight in the UFC [Re: bo-ken]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
I applaud the guy for his heart. I really don't know what to think about him competing against able-bodied competitors. It seems like such a giant disadvantage for him (MMA striking?), I can't see how to make it fair. Bo-ken also brings up a good point about weight classes.

I would hate to be the guys that have to rule on this.

#418585 - 04/25/09 02:16 PM Re: Should Kyle Maynard be allowed to fight in the UFC [Re: MattJ]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
I too applaud this guy for wanting to do this but my opinion is no; that he should not be allowed to fight in the UFC or any other MMA venues for that matter.

While many may look on this as he is at a disadvantage not having arms and legs, you also have to look at the disadvantage to the other fighters. Kicking is one of fundamental skills used especially head kicks. Clinch and knees are also fundamentals to this game. Leg locks, ankle locks, armbars and the such are all fundamentals to this game. These are things that a fighter could not use against him and are only some of the reasons why I don't think having him do MMA is a good idea.

I understand we are to be a tolerant society and we should adapt many things to accommodate those less able; and I'm all for that. However we need to understand that there are certain things we all are not capable of doing.

If Maynard wanted to be a boxer should he be allowed to fight professionally? What if he wanted to play professional football? What if Maynard wanted to be a Police Officer or a Fire Fighter, should he be allowed to? Or wanted to join the military to fight over seas on the front lines? Should Maynard be allowed to ride a motorcycle?

The list could go on and the answers are all no. While it is good to have dreams, it is good to strive for them, in reality some things are just not possible. That he has found a place to train and that he's done what he has; again I applaud him and I say continue to train and enjoy it. BUT I do not believe that rules should be changed in any sport or any faction in life that puts the other participants at a disadvantage due to his disabilities. His disabilities then disable those people and THAT I find unfair. If there was a way for him to fight within the rules without changing them and does not take away from the other participants skills they have honed and train then I would say yes; but that is not possible in this instance.

On a final note, say this wasn't the UFC or your average MMA venue. Say this was Pride where head kicks and knees to the head are allowed to a downed opponent. Should those rules be changed for him? Do you think that he would have a serious chance at defending himself properly? Or would his safety be at risk? That the fighter who fought him that beat him would be seen as a real victor or looked upon as somebody taking advantage of somebody less able? And as a fighter could you really feel good about a win against him?

He's a great guy. He has a strong will. That is an accomplishment that nobody can take away from him but fighting in the MMA world is not something I personally think he should be allowed to do.

#418586 - 04/25/09 05:46 PM Re: Should Kyle Maynard be allowed to fight in the UFC [Re: Dereck]
MattyChi Offline

Loc: Grand Rapids, MI
I agree 100% with Dereck

#418587 - 04/26/09 09:44 AM Re: Should Kyle Maynard be allowed to fight in the UFC [Re: MattyChi]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
From this link -

http://sherdog.com/news/news/maynard-loses-leaves-cage-unscathed-17190

"AUBURN, Ala. -- Knighted by some and demonized by others, Kyle Maynard completed his almost two-year-long journey into the cage on Saturday at the Auburn Covered Arena. He left it unscathed, save for the defeat on his amateur mixed martial arts record.

The 23-year-old congenital amputee dropped a three-round decision to Bryan Fry in the main event of an Auburn Fight Night show and received five standing ovations for his efforts. Fears centered on the possibility of his being injured lingered overhead, but Maynard proved capable of defending himself. All three judges scored it 30-27 in Fry’s favor.

Maynard’s dogged pursuit of a takedown never paid off, as Fry kept him at bay with jabs, open-handed hooks and the occasional uppercut. The Wisconsin native maintained a standing position for the duration of the bout, and though Maynard was often the aggressor, he failed to score with anything of substance.

“I think it’s a tough gameplan to prepare for,” Maynard said. “I felt like I gave 100 percent. He didn’t want to go to the ground, and I wasn’t going to win a boxing match with him.”

Piggybacked to the cage by longtime friend Ben Davis, Maynard was confronted by a cold reality soon after he entered it.

“When I walked in the cage, and when [Fry] was first able to initiate contact, I realized this was the most serious thing I’d ever gotten myself into, and I loved it,” he said. “I think my ear is still buzzing from that first shot.”

Fry -- whose mother cares for mentally and physically handicapped patients and whose son suffers from sickle cell anemia -- claimed he accepted the fight with Maynard in good faith to help the Georgian show others afflicted with disability that dreams are reachable.

“It was important for me to come down here,” said Fry, who won for the first time in three amateur appearances. “If my son sees this guy get in the ring, it lets him know.”

Bryan Fry vs. Kyle MaynardFry credited Maynard for the courage he showed.

“I was pretty damned amazed,” he said. “I didn’t expect him to be that quick. He’s got bigger balls than a lot of the guys I know.”

The setting was far from ideal. Partially enclosed by a steel skeleton, the “arena” came complete with a dirt floor peppered with straw, a wooden press box and bleachers, a hot dog stand, a row of portable toilets and a live band. Sexual enhancement fliers were passed out to the crowd before the first fist flew, and cigarette smoke choked the air, as Maynard and Fry -- the ninth and final bout on the card -- competed in a square cage of black chain-link.

Still, the venue served its purpose for Maynard, who was denied an MMA license by the Georgia Athletic and Entertainment Commission in 2007.

He tempered the disappointment of defeat with optimism and perspective.

“I wanted to win so bad, but it was still one of the best moments of my life,” Maynard said. “A lot of people didn’t think I would last 30 seconds. If you want something bad enough, you’ve got to step in there and do it. I love the sport so much. It would have been so tough to love something so much and never get the chance to taste it.”

Maynard did not compete with gloves, as perspiration -- temperatures hovered in the 80s for much of the night -- caused them to come loose during a warm-up session.

“I couldn’t keep them on,” Maynard said. “I had to tell [Fry] around the seventh or eighth fight. He’s a tough fighter. A lot of guys wouldn’t have taken the fight. A lot of guys [when confronted] at the last minute with this, would have been like, ‘Whoa, whoa, whoa. What about gloves?’”

His thirst for competition far from fully quenched, Maynard plans to compete again in amateur MMA and still holds out hope he will be allowed to do so in a regulated state, perhaps even his native Georgia.

“I want to go in [before the commission] with as much proof as I can,” he said. “I still have the opportunity to go do that. I don’t know if I’ve built my case yet. I don’t know what I have to do to fight in a commissioned state.”

Cornered by UFC veteran Paul Creighton, a Renzo Gracie black belt with whom he now trains full-time, Maynard plans to return to his Duluth, Ga., gym soon.

“I didn’t win tonight,” Maynard said. “I have to get back on the horse and perfect things. This has given me a taste. I want to get back in there and do it again. I’m only 23 years old. I’ve got a lot of time left athletically.”

#418588 - 04/26/09 02:59 PM Re: Should Kyle Maynard be allowed to fight in the UFC [Re: MattJ]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Bravo for him but I still stand by what I said earlier.

I guarantee that Fry did not fight to his full potential. That by accepting to fight Maynard and having a mother that cares for mentally and physically handicapped persons, he took it easy and if wanted to could have ended the fight immediately.

Plus gloves were not worn by Maynard as they wouldn't stay on. These are a part of the equipment that are worn by all fighters for both of their safety. If Maynard would have been able to strike Fry with the stub of his arm; could that have put Fry at risk?

Again bravo but still no.

#418589 - 04/27/09 02:56 AM Re: Should Kyle Maynard be allowed to fight in the UFC [Re: Dereck]
MiSt Offline

So Dereck, where do you draw the line? What about somebody with one arm? There was a well known muay thai fighter that lost his arm in a car accident, but continued to fight at a high level, is that ok but Maynard not? How can anybody draw the line?

btw I hope somone can find info on this source, for its just a memory of somthing written here years ago.

#418590 - 04/27/09 03:17 AM Re: Should Kyle Maynard be allowed to fight in the UFC [Re: MiSt]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

If a one armed fighter doesn't have to have the rules changed for them and their opponents can do what they do and train for; then so be it. And if that one armed fighter's safety is not a factor; again so be it. Pretty clear cut question.

#418591 - 04/27/09 04:08 AM Re: Should Kyle Maynard be allowed to fight in the UFC [Re: Dereck]
MiSt Offline

Quote:

And if that one armed fighter's safety is not a factor

Thats very subjective. Nobody is safe in an MMA tournament to start with...

Did Maynard have the rules changed for him?

Also the bit about the fighters being able to do what they train for, pretend for example a fighter had a wierd kind of double jointed arms/legs which did not negativly effect him, only meaning he would not submit, should he not be allowed to fight? I have a feeling he would be praised a natural grappler...(Obviously just a guess)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga