FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 43 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35590 Topics
432525 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#418426 - 04/17/09 09:14 AM Home security suggestions thread
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
I have some affordable suggestions for home security and I'd like to hear more.

I think security is a bigger issue these days. I read about break-ins and robberies daily around here.

1. Get a security sign. A sign will be a deterrant to thieves even if you don't have the security system. Why would they take the chance?

2. Be modest. Don't brag to everyone around town about all the 'stuff' you have. People talk and criminals take note.

3. Get a dog. It doesn't have to be a big attack dog,but that doesn't hurt.A barking dog will alert you,or your neighbors, to the danger.

4. Have a spare cell phone. Make sure it is charged and where you can get to it in an emergency. Practice what you will say. In an emergency you will probably forget where you live, so write down a script and keep it by the phone.

5. Start a neighborhood watch program. Nosey neighbors come in handy!!

6. Keep all your windows and doors locked, even during daylight hours.

7. Door/ window alarms and jams are pretty cheap, replacing that new plasma TV is not!

8. Have a 'safe' room. Make sure the door is lockable,solid, and has at least three hinges. Practice getting everyone into this room in an emergency.

I'm sure there is more and imo you can never be too prepared. I feel it is my duty to keep my family safe and I hope you do to!

Any additions or comments are welcome!

#418427 - 04/18/09 12:56 AM Re: Home security suggestions thread [Re: BrianS]
drgndrew Offline
< a god, > a man.
Enthusiast

Loc: Toowoomba, Qld, Australia
looks good to me Brian

One tip I give my students , particularly young women living alone or with other young woman (though it works for everyone) is to buy a pair of second hand, large size eg 12 -14+), male work boots, and leave them at the back door.

you can get this for like 5-10 bucks at charity op-shops (Salvos, Red Cross, St Vinnies etc). nothing is guaranteed, but thieves, home invaders etc tend to think twice about entering a home where a large laborer may be inside.

They are looking for victims not challenges, so give then reason to move on to a lesser challenging house.

Install motion sensing security lights around the house (not just at the entrances), if anything approaches your house the lights will provide you with a warning and sight, and remove their sight advantage.

remove unnecessary hiding places. do you really need to have that hedge growing there could the back of the shed maybe be fenced off etc. obviously we don't want to liv3e on baron fields with no garden, but don't let yur decorations become a hiding spot for trespassers.

we all want some privacy and we often use plants and trees to gain that but remember... they also provide privacy to the criminals as well. a tall 6ft high solid fence may give the illusion of safety but in reality all it does is prevent others seeing whats happening inside, this is good most of the time but also good for the thief.

I'm not saying rip down your fences, just take other precautions such as attaching a security sticker/sign on the outside of the fence ( as well as on windows and doors as Brian said) and a fake siren and light box in sight, if it looks like Fort Knox then make it appear to be alarmed like it to. (or actually buy a security system.)

pre determine a couple of escape routes, one for if a danger is at the front exit, one if the danger is at the back exit etc. Make sure their is a safe place for your family to run to. a known neighbor etc and set this up prior to ever having to use it. make sure everyone knows what they are meant to do.

There's a few extra to add to the list.

With Honour in Bushido
Drew Guest
www.ToowoombaSelfDefence.websyte.com.au
Bushi Dojos Self Protection
Toowoomba Self Defence

#418428 - 04/18/09 01:18 AM Re: Home security suggestions thread [Re: drgndrew]
drgndrew Offline
< a god, > a man.
Enthusiast

forgot to add a couple

Know your nieghbourhood, this is basic awareness. become familiar with the people in your street/area, what cars they drive, etc if something is out of the ordinary then take note of any relevant details. This works well with the neighborhood watch program, you don't have to be a hero but you can be someone elses eyes and ears.

know what your local utility companies (electricity phone gas etc) uniforms look like and have handy their contact details. While we're at it we should also know what the local emergancy services (police fire ambulance) looks like too.

If anyone comes to your door claiming to be from one of these companies, then request ID. note the uniform and phone the contact number from the phone book or bill (not one given by the person). do not open the door to them until you have verified who they are and why they are there.

Do not open your door to anyone who you do not know even the local girl guides or boy scouts (unless you know them) there have been cases where people have sent their children to knock on a door, only to rush the door when it is open to the child (pathetic I know). there are also many cases of home invasions happening by the invaders posing as someone you can trust and then taking advantage as soon as the door is open.

The classic is some stranger coming to your door asking to use the phone because they have broken down or some other reasonable excuse. offer to call who they want on thee behalf but you don't have to open the door to let them in.

Of course you have to follow your own judgment in these cases some one may genuinely be needing to use the phone and the gas company may genuinely be investigating a possible leak in the area. None of these people are going to mind you being a bit cautious especially if you are a member of society at risk from these attacks ( elderly, young alone female, etc)

With Honour in Bushido
Drew Guest
Toowoomba Self Defence

#418429 - 04/19/09 06:25 PM Re: Home security suggestions thread [Re: drgndrew]
Ilove2Hit Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
i always feel bad when i read all this and sentences like "They are looking for victims not challenges, so give then reason to move on to a lesser challenging house."

poor neighbours..

#418430 - 04/21/09 04:28 AM Re: Home security suggestions thread [Re: Ilove2Hit]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Quote:

i always feel bad when i read all this and sentences like "They are looking for victims not challenges, so give then reason to move on to a lesser challenging house."

poor neighbours..

LOL! The neighbors need to be prepared too!!

You can't blame the people that are prepared for what burglars do.

#418431 - 04/21/09 06:39 AM Re: Home security suggestions thread [Re: BrianS]
drgndrew Offline
< a god, > a man.
Enthusiast

It's the same as pest control, ... where do you think all the creepy crawlies go after you protect your home from them

.... thats right to the neighbors.

all pests are the same.

With Honour in Bushido
Drew Guest
Toowoomba Self Defence

#418432 - 04/21/09 11:05 AM Re: Home security suggestions thread [Re: drgndrew]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
I agree with most of the posters preventive measures seem to work in selection of prey. if a guy is stalking you or casing your place or just happen upon your home. If you have camera surevillance and maybe in/outside dogs they stand a good chance of by pasting your place. Most want easy marks.

I believe just like hazardous weather drills you should have family unwelcome invader drills, where everybody knows what to do and where to go in such a case. Earily warning systems both live and mechanical are good up front systems. The having a Plan for success creed works well here also.

I have a friend whose wife tell the story of sells-men and a unwelcome young stranger forcing his way in and locking the door behind them (not the sell men). Then with a whistle or by themselves two 160lbs Rotties greet them and they beg to leave.

Preperation is more then 80% of success on this topic, imho, nothing is full proof. But you want them to think that it would take a fool to try, and you'd be ready.

#421753 - 08/20/09 05:18 AM Re: Home security suggestions thread [Re: Neko456]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
I'm just gonna put a sign out front saying "OIF vet with PTSD, beware" and be seen outside on a regular basis cleaning my m4. An m4 which will have an ACOG and gangster handle, rails, the whole 9 yardes. Think anyone will try something?
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#421755 - 08/20/09 06:27 AM Re: Home security suggestions thread [Re: Stormdragon]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
It has already been mentioned that hedges and garden design can have a bearing on things re. giving intruders seclusion in which to work/hide.
I would consider the positive ways one could design garden features, ie. plant dense, tall, thorny foliage in front of ground floor windows, making them difficult and painfull to access.

It is also, in these days of Moores Law, very cheap and easy to get a real working home CCTV system that links to a hard drive.

Another thing that is empricaly true in the UK at least, is the link between construction/renovation work and theft/burglary.
If youy have any work done on your house (roofing, double glazing, plumbing etc etc etc), I would recommend storing valuable property out of sight- luxury electronics, valuable heirlooms/ornaments, jewelry boxes etc. Make your house unremarkable. This makes it less likely for it to be the topic of discussion after the job is done, meaning you are 'off the radar'. Last thing you want is the workmen talking loudly in the bar about how nice your house was, or how many game consoles you had set up. You never know who is listening.

#422908 - 10/13/09 11:40 PM 10 Security Tips To Prevent Home Invasion Robbery [Re: BrianS]
DefendThyself Offline

Loc: California, USA
We came up with 10 Security Tips To Prevent Home Invasion Robberies:

If you have not heard, home invasion robberies are rampant and people are experiencing bands of deranged punks kicking in doors, terrorizing a family, stealing valuables, and sometimes taking a life. No city is immune from attack, it's happened in the nicest neighborhoods, to the nicest people.

Criminals are pretty dumb and go for the easy targets. Here are 10 things you can do to your home or business to help protect your loved ones, you're possessions and your property

1. Keep your windows and doors locked at all times; even when you are home.
2. Always keep your drapes or blinds drawn, even at night so they cannot see inside.
3. Make sure that any window air conditioners are not easy to pull out from the outside. You can bolt them in place from the inside.
4. Trim the bushes and trees that are in front of windows so people can't hide there.
5. Remove old, easy to open windows with secure windows that use laminated glass that is resistant to breakage. If you can't afford them, you can install inexpensive window breakage detectors that will sound an alarm.
6. If you have a basement, install new heavy&#8208;duty windows. Older windows are easy for a criminal to enter.
7. Update your locks and deadbolts with new security hardware.
8. Replace entry doors with reinforced doors with little or no glass for maximum security, and make sure the locks are robust also. If you can't afford that, install inexpensive door opening alarms.
9. Replace your sliding glass patio doors with reinforced laminated glass and dual locking hardware with a dead bolt for maximum protection.
10. Get a few of those "Protected by Smith & Wesson" stickers from a gun store, or online to put on all your doors and windows to send a firm message to the punks that there could be trouble at this house, and to move along.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga