FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 23 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 5
AndyLA 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 3
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 03:51 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35573 Topics
432484 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#417967 - 04/02/09 09:44 PM interesting knife/gun facts
TheCrab Offline
Scum

Loc: QLD Australia
Im doing a security course, and a lot of swat police and whatnot use people in my course for general testing.

we we're given rubber knives with felt on the edge, and told to attack the (trained) police and try to "kill" them. they had to disarm us. we did it about 100 times. and out of that, every single officer got cut, and 60% of them we're cut fatally.

Then we did something with replica glocks which shot paint, they would start 5 metres away, charge us and try to get the gun. (none of us have gun training) anyway, at close range like that, we hit the officer about 40% of the time. at over 8 metres we could not land a hit except by chance.

Point being, for what we did, at close range, knives are far more dangerous than guns, and I would question any knife disarm techniques safety and effectiveness, as for guns, if someone points one at you who doesnt know what they are doing, theres a fair chance of being able to leg it if your over 8 metres.

Interesting stuff to consider and weigh up

#417968 - 04/03/09 05:09 AM Re: interesting knife/gun facts [Re: TheCrab]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
do not go into a situation involving either knife or gun with any expectation other than getting injured or killed. That is the only rule you have to understand.

An LEO equipped with a firearm should have the awareness to go into such a situation with firearm already drawn. This is the reason that you see so many clips from US camera shows where they approach a stopped vehicle with guns already centred. If the passengers are compliant/unarmed, then its the easiest thing in the world not to shoot them. If they are otherwise, then they have reduced reaction time to a squeeze of the trigger.

Also, whilst it is true that if you are close with a knife, you will likely make it connect with a gunman, the number of knife wounds that are lethal in an instant are pretty small, so expect to be shot point blank in return. A bullet ricocheting around in your body will do more damage than a blade.

The Filipino eskrimadors have a saying in regards to knife fighting: 'Winners drip, losers gush'.

Nobody wins in a close range fight with lethal weapons.

#417969 - 04/03/09 07:58 AM Re: interesting knife/gun facts [Re: Cord]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Crab -

Your findings match very closely the results of some other studies. Check here:

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...=2#Post15933507

#417970 - 04/03/09 01:52 PM Re: interesting knife/gun facts [Re: MattJ]
duanew Offline

Loc: MN
In a fist fight expect to be hit.
In a knife fight expect to be cut.
In a gun fight expect to be shot.

#417971 - 04/03/09 08:40 PM Re: interesting knife/gun facts [Re: TheCrab]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Of course, if you happen to be the guy within 21 feet of the gun, you might just not be so lucky:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og9ccsb1v6o

#417972 - 04/06/09 08:15 AM Re: interesting knife/gun facts [Re: Cord]
Ilove2Hit Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
hahaha check the comments under the video!

lool

"he has a speedhack"

"HHAAAAAXXXXXOOOOOOORRR"

lol, kids

#417973 - 04/06/09 03:41 PM Re: interesting knife/gun facts [Re: TheCrab]
MAGon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Miami, Fl.
Tueller Drill/21 Foot Rule: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tueller_Drill

#417974 - 04/06/09 03:51 PM Re: interesting knife/gun facts [Re: MAGon]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Yep. My father was in charge of close protection operations in the Royal Hong Kong police in the 60's. Those under his protection during visits included Princess Margaret, the Sultan of Brunei, and numerous other dignitaries/political figures.
He had the force buy 10 small, snub nose pistols, that all CP officers had to carry in their pockets. They all practiced firing through the pockets from the hip on the target range until they had become proficient.

This meant that in crowd situations, when public were close enough to lunge or pose a threat, all on CP detail walked with 1 hand in their jacket pocket - just in case.

#417975 - 04/07/09 09:54 AM Re: interesting knife/gun facts [Re: TheCrab]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
Quote:

Im doing a security course, and a lot of swat police and whatnot use people in my course for general testing.

we we're given rubber knives with felt on the edge, and told to attack the (trained) police and try to "kill" them. they had to disarm us. we did it about 100 times. and out of that, every single officer got cut, and 60% of them we're cut fatally.

Then we did something with replica glocks which shot paint, they would start 5 metres away, charge us and try to get the gun. (none of us have gun training) anyway, at close range like that, we hit the officer about 40% of the time. at over 8 metres we could not land a hit except by chance.

Point being, for what we did, at close range, knives are far more dangerous than guns, and I would question any knife disarm techniques safety and effectiveness, as for guns, if someone points one at you who doesnt know what they are doing, theres a fair chance of being able to leg it if your over 8 metres.

Interesting stuff to consider and weigh up

Knives have there advantage but at 8 meters in the hands of an experinece Gun fighter or skilled Martial artist familar with Guns, I'd take a gun every time. Knives are very potent in closer before teh gun can be pulled out. Here is my reasoning in your test you asked the officer to disarm the knifer in a real situation thats not the Police officers Job, putting myself in his postition if deadly force/a knife was drawn on me I am entitled to meet it with dealdy force. Disarm my a$$, after I've shot him between the eyes, I'll kick the knife ourt of his hand. And remember this in close the gun can be used as a club and then a Gun again as the assailant react to being clubbed with the gun.

Listen I'm not taking anythng away from the lethal properties of a knife but in truth in most case if you attack a man armed with a knife uinless at very close range or from behind you both are fatally wounded or in bad shape. Rarely does either stop movement instantly unless a motor skill function is slice or shot, leaving seconds for all kind of mayhem.

Test can be used to prove almost anything you want them to, based on how you set them up. A Cop/Security personnel and especially a Swat member would not try disarm a knifer unless in a very unually situation. Swat would have their sniper take him out before he got within 6 meters, if he started at 8 of another Swat memeber. Swat is a team much like the Seals/Marines in some ways, rarely can you isolate one w/o being shot by the other memebers. We are talking about multi thousands of dollares of training in each memeber, they won't risk take on a knife even though they train it.

Everybodys seen the 21ft scenario so its open season on knifers no one will take them on with a flashlight anymore unless its a small teen.

Your test showed a what happens if a person does the wrong thing of trying to disarm a knifer instead of talking him down under the threat of deadly force back at him.

Your test was interesting, some of thoughs guys are trained pretty well usually casuality rates are higher in both incidents and is the reason people stopped trying them.

In the end I agree with your conclusion but I'll add legging it against a knife is good odds too.

Edited by Neko456 (04/07/09 09:59 AM)

#417976 - 04/07/09 05:11 PM Re: interesting knife/gun facts [Re: Neko456]
drgndrew Offline
< a god, > a man.
Enthusiast

Loc: Toowoomba, Qld, Australia
hey Crab,

Quote:

... 60% of them we're cut fatally.

Just for clarity, what was the criteria your using for "Fatal cut"

With Honour in Bushido
Drew Guest
www.ToowoombaSelfDefence.websyte.com.au
Bushi Dojos Self Protection
Toowoomba Self Defence

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga