FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 43 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
AndyLA 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
Matakiant 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by cxt
10/10/14 10:08 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432509 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#417907 - 04/01/09 04:52 PM The Ear Slap?
Nijado Offline

Saw this post today, what do you guys think of the technique called the ear slap?

I learned about it here One Of The Most Unusual Yet Devastating Self-Defense Moves - The Ear Slap

Do you guys really think a slap would work? The video looked pretty painful...but why not just punch someone?

#417908 - 04/01/09 05:48 PM Re: The Ear Slap? [Re: Nijado]
Ilove2Hit Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
like this strike.

ive done it and it is a very effective technique.

then again, if u can ear slap someone, why punch him?

i think its about practice and what u like. if u want to do a pre emptive strike u can go for either a punch to the jaw, palm strike to temple, ear slap, etc etc. anything is possible. but it is a very good strike. and it is easy. its is harder to through an very accurate punch to the jaw then to ear slap. the ear as a target is bigger then the point on the jaw u aim for and ur hand and palm are larger than the two first knuckles of your fists.

if ur trained in punching and ur good at it, then hell yeah go for it.

if ur good at palmstrikes, then go for the earslap.

and if ur just somebody who gets in trouble and has seen a few videos on youtube, then just try whatever u can to get your a$$ out of a bad situation.

nothing wrong with ear slapping, simple and effective.

same as punch. only that a lot of ppl cant rly punch properly.

a bad earslap can do way more damage then a bad punch.

regards,

Iluv2Hit

#417909 - 04/01/09 06:27 PM Re: The Ear Slap? [Re: Ilove2Hit]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Nijado -

Ear slap will most definitely work. A proper ear slap can rupture the ear drum, and is incredibly painful. Slapping in general is a very viable self-defense tactic. Many SD instructors favor slapping over punching, because there is less likliehood of damage to the hand when slapping. A good "power slap" can knock down or KO an opponent.

Think 'thai roundhouse kick' - with your arm.

#417910 - 04/01/09 06:28 PM Re: The Ear Slap? [Re: Nijado]
karl314285 Offline

Loc: The Matrix, Serif is Teacher
Hi,

Ear slap may be a misnomer. We were taught this technique specifically to rupture the tympanic membrane (eardrum). It is easy to rupture (from small tear to full on destruction), I know, I had my right eardrum torn when struck there...little dribble o blood and I hear Lt ear only, Rt ear was totally muffled...quite disconcerting.

TECH: Make knife hands then slightly cup hands. The technique was a prelude, BOTH hands cupped, slap and rupture both ear drums, Grab now compliant head and allow it to "accidentally" impact one or two knees or just backup, done well they are now deaf and you may not have to worry bout anybody but the Police as you have now Maimed someone.

***A One handed slap (cupped or not) stings like a Mf and places your hand in the right place to grab the entire cartilaginous ear, hahahaha BUT be careful I Hear it tears off real easy (and with gently appropriate direction and pressure can be well used for control)...but it (the external part of ear, cartilage lobe and all) rips right off so so easily, after that happens might as well make them eat it or shove it up their...nevermind.

***so I just stick w/ a hard slap, but I've spent time smacking my palms on rope wrapped wood (among other body parts and I dont recommend anyone doing the stupid [censored] I've done),

And yes if I can slap 'em why not hit 'em, well my knuckles hit the same makiwara and if I miss
1.hit and rupture temporal artery-Death
2.hit nerve behind jaw, jaw dislocates and possible-Death
3.hit the bones of the orbit-Reconstructive Surgury
4.hit the brachial plexus upper neck seal Artery-Death
5.hit their calvarium and even w/ conditioning-Broken Hand and I really dont want that.

SD-a good ear slap hurts like hell, is unexpected, nonfatal, and (unless they have cauliflower ears, in which case skip the striking and beg forgiveness) if followed by say a nose pop, you can split no one damaged.

-Karl. Peace. anyone seen my hearing aid, there's a prosthetic ear near it????

#417911 - 04/01/09 06:46 PM Re: The Ear Slap? [Re: Nijado]
Ames Offline
Veteran

Slapping the ear works well in the right situation. It can rupture the ear drum, or if a little weaker cause bad nausea. It's always nice to make your attacker grab his knees and start puking. Done a little weaker than this, tt is also pretty good for stunning someone so that they will let go of the bar rail and move along!

--Chris

#417912 - 04/02/09 08:50 AM Re: The Ear Slap? [Re: Ames]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
The ear slap is sound in principle. If one were to land one spot on, then the disorientation, eardrum damage, and all other cool things could indeed happen.

If you dont land it well, then the target will just go 'OW!' and smack you in the face.

A punch to the temple, or above/around the ear has just as much chance of the same result, but is a more forgiving technique in regards to target area allowance.

So, if you feel confident of being able to land with such precision as to hit square on the ear and increase pressure in the ear cavity, then slap away.
If you feel more confident in aiming for 'the side of the head' as a general plan, then close your fist, or use the heel of the hand as a blunt weapon.

Its a game of probabilities- I know that, for me, the chances of landing the right place every time, is slim, so give myself a greater margin of error.

Go with where your abilities and the situation take you.

#417913 - 04/16/09 11:10 AM Re: The Ear Slap? [Re: Cord]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
I think this is a very effective strike but like other pressure point strikes they may not be the end all but the beginging to the end of a conflict. After setting it up your hands end up on either sidfe of his head in position for alternative crossing elbow strikes and or chin to top of head takedowns and then whatever.

Slaping the ear even one ear cause distabling reactions and pain it also (unless you have very small hands) will strike near the end of the Jaw bone which can rattle the brain. Just as a grion kick/strike is not always a show stopper it does help in the starting the begining of an end to the conflict.

In some incidents I catch myself throwing combination because thats the way I train which go over the opponents head and miss him because he already falling. I believe its better to give an honest effort therefore respecting my foe rather then expect an reaction and not get it.

So an ear slap as part of a combination is a potent strike in my book but I wouldn't cash a check on it by itsslf, I'll add I like its odds, but I'm not a betting man.

Edited by Neko456 (04/16/09 11:13 AM)

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga