FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 3
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Marcus Charles 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#417842 - 03/31/09 09:20 AM JKD and future training options
KompressorX Offline

I discovered JKD over ten years ago, and was amazed by how JKD concepts improved my success in fighting skills. After having trained in Karate with dedication, I began to see "holes" in Karate's approach to combat. Not to undermine Karate as a martial art at all, it certainly is wonderful and I don't believe JKD is something seperate to karate. JKD was able to compliment my Karate in several ways some of which were-

1) Realising that my style was not the ultimate, that other martial arts had plenty to offer as well. To keep an open mind about techniques.

2) That tactical training and strategy in fighting are vital for success, and go much deeper than what many traditional hard styles have to offer.

3)Western boxing has alot to offer for the serious martial artist; feet are great, but hands are the primary weapon alot of the time when it comes to defending ones self.

4) Fighting needs to be responsive not preconceived. Sticking to a predetermined combination for example without being sensitive to what is happening often leads to failure. Being adaptable and responding wisely and with skill to what the opponent is doing, the type of opponent, and looking to control the opponent rather than perform a big attack strength against sstrength, is an example of adapting and using the mind not preset technique.

Having recently returned to the old Karate club I see they have finally taken some of these ideas on, however many techniques are neglected. For example the ability to get inside the larger opponents reach, outmanoveuring them and controlling them, using short strikes such as hooks is very much overlooked, so many karate people find it nearly impossible to gain the advantage over a partner with longer reach, espeially if they know how to use longer reach.

At the moment this is the skill I am working on, outmanoveuring the taller, heavier opponent through keeping them off balance while maintaining a good position my self. It is very challenging and satisfying, nullifying and controlling a larger, perhaps stronger fighter through the right tactics at the Karate club. The scope does seem limitted here though, and I feel it would be necessary to train beyond this club to further enhance the JKD approach.

There are no actual JKD clubs in my area but I think JKD goes beyond that. It is almost like a way of thinking about MA which is always evolving. I hear Arnis has similiar outlooks and is a very adaptable, responsive art. Would anyone recommend Arnis for the JKD fighter? The other options I am trying are Judo which definitely operates well along JKD lines of thinking. I will definitely stick with Judo, really great MA. I think more boxing training would also work well with JKD. Sport Aikido looks interesting- any advice there?

Well kind of a convoluted post but really just an invitation to discuss some of the aspects of JKD I have mentioned. Critique, advice, or additional comments welcomed!!!

#417843 - 03/31/09 10:11 AM Re: JKD and future training options [Re: KompressorX]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
I think that any martial art that has at it's core an "alive" practice emphasizing sparring, will lend itself well to combat efficacy.

The real key however is integration. All "ranges" have to be utilized in the process. In other words, judo and boxing are both "alive' arts. But they should be practiced together for optimum functionality.

-John

#417844 - 04/01/09 02:01 PM Re: JKD and future training options [Re: KompressorX]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

Loc: Bellingham, WA
Arnis/Kali/Escrima (or FMA) can be very useful for the defense-minded MAist and fit in very well with the JKD concept. Working with sticks, knives and other improvised weapons can improve your sense of range and really put to the test your ability to close the gap between you and your opponent. Free stick sparring that allows the fight to continue after disarms occur will allow you to use your skills in a chaotic, and often uneven situation.
However, there are still alot of FMA schools that work what seem like 'dead' drills. Sometimes these are useful - sometimes not. But being a JKD man you know to throw what doesn't work away

#417845 - 04/01/09 06:12 PM Re: JKD and future training options [Re: KompressorX]
Ames Offline
Veteran

Like John says Judo, Boxing, or Tomiki Aikido are all great arts for learning functional skill because they are all alive arts. The problem is that, taken individually, they don't give you the oppurtunity to put everything together and fight in all ranges. For this reason, you might be well served finding an MMA school in your area.

--Chris

#417846 - 04/01/09 09:24 PM Re: JKD and future training options [Re: Ames]
KompressorX Offline

Thanks, I appreciate all the responses. Because my judo is very basic at the moment it might be best for me to focus on it seperately for a while until I become reasonabley proficient. From that point I have a solid foundation to mix it in with striking range techniques.

Thanks for pointing out that changing ranges needs to be practised to. The Karate system I am trained in was heavily ju-jitsu influenced moving from kicking to punching/elbow range then joint locks, throws and takedowns were often used. The locks/throws aspect has now disappeared to make way for competition technique training- A severe deficit in the overall fighting system.

I will investigate some MMA clubs for sure! Thankyou fellow JKD's. I have alot to learn still and appriciate your help.

Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga